HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disabled burst mode. I figure it's a rotary. If I want to dial down the output, I'll just twist it down. While I'm conscious of battery life, I stock CR123's and am not overly concerned about run time.

Does burst mode apply to the general rotary settings (ex. all the way to the right) as well as the pseudo-momentary press and hold? and does burst come enabled as a factory setting?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does burst mode apply to the general rotary settings (ex. all the way to the right) as well as the pseudo-momentary press and hold? and does burst come enabled as a factory setting?

I'm new to this, but I'm pretty sure burst mode is a factory setting, applies when the rotary is all the way to the right, but will not affect the pseudo momentary press and hold.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all your efforts with the group buys. It was much appreciated. What needs to happen to make the limited runs become a reality? Especially since the Ti Rotary poll was such a disaster...

While it may have appeared like a disaster, it actually was not. I got the information I needed between there and a few other places. A limited run in material is quite different though than a limited run with a particular led. Since I am at HDS to shake things up a little bit, and keep production moving... well, I'm a fan of limited runs, which is one reason I hosted so many group buys.

I do follow closely the trends on the forum (but pretty much just those who participate in discussions here at the HDS thread, and mostly ignore those who "pop in" who I've never seen before who want to give "suggestions" unless their view is backed by participating members here.

So, in a nutshell all it takes to get a limited run going is some interest in it. How much interest depends on the outlay HDS Systems will have getting it going.

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want a change. It's been two years. I personally like to keep things moving and changing somewhat (perhaps in a way, a little contrary to how HDS has been in the past other than different upgrades that most never see as they are internal). I figure in two years, the folks who like that emitter, have got one. I am obviously not doing group buys anymore, but I can influence/start limited runs for HDS (which is basically me going "Hey Henry! Get some of these emitters because people seem to think they are the cat's meow right now!" and Henry will pick them up if he can and make a short run of them rather than buying an entire reel. Keeps things different and changing.
So are you thinking of replacing the 219b with another hi cri mainstay or just doing small runs? My 200 hi cri rotary is my favorite tint, but I don't think I could justify owning more than one of the same light.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a High Noon on the secondary market. I am in Japan at the moment with my trusty 200 lumen HCRI at my side.

What have I gotten myself into? Will I be amazed?

I love the tint of the 4000*k, but am hoping to compliment it with a true white light.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are you thinking of replacing the 219b with another hi cri mainstay or just doing small runs? My 200 hi cri rotary is my favorite tint, but I don't think I could justify owning more than one of the same light.

There won't be a "mainstay" as in we are not buying an entire real of hiCRI emitters. Shorter runs of different hiCRI instead. Color temperature is very subjective for what people like. My grail is the High Noon (5700) and I really love it, but then others really loved the 3 O'clock High (5000k) run. Still others feel that is too cool and prefer 4500k, then we get 4000k, 3500k... you get the idea. Heck, I'm getting one of the 2700k lights. So, why not start mixing things up a bit? So maybe for awhile someone doesn't like the particular color temp offered, they just wait and see what comes next. I think it's better than just locking in one particular emitter.

I can't say there is one "best" emitter. It is personal preference. My "best" might be the "oh damn! Why did they pick this?" for another person. Just peruse through this thread to see what I mean:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?437611-HDS-2700k-High-CRI-interest-thread
That thread made the Titanium Interest thread look positively on track and focused.

I simply think it may be nicer to, at least for awhile, take the New England weather approach... "If you don't like the weather/emitter, stick around a bit and it will change."

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a High Noon on the secondary market. I am in Japan at the moment with my trusty 200 lumen HCRI at my side.

What have I gotten myself into? Will I be amazed?

I love the tint of the 4000*k, but am hoping to compliment it with a true white light.

If you are like me, and I know I am, you will love it... if you want pure white light.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
SWEET!

Do you consider the 2700*k to be a specialty light vs the 5700* being more of a workhorse?

It seems like 2700* would be almost like a candle or ember.

I tried an sm273 (2700K) in a HDS a while ago, it was nice but I did find it a bit novelty like so I remodded that light to the King of tint and CRI the 219B sw45k R9080 and didn't look back.
My most recent HDS mod is the sm353 (3500K) which has really grown on me.
I also have an unmodded direct from Hogo high noon and while it is nice it just doesn't grab me. I find that the CRI of the others against the sw45k is really lacking as its that good.
The tint of the sm573 high noon is ok, a bit blue at times but very nice for a higher Kelvin. Does it look like midday sun? Well not really to me. Is the CRI good, yes it's ok like many of the R9050 LEDs.
For that super high CRI colour that renders like nothing else it has to be R9080.
Don't get me wrong, the high noon was a good run but mine is a hair away from being modded to another sw45k as it's whites and colours can't be beat.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I tried an sm273 (2700K) in a HDS a while ago, it was nice but I did find it a bit novelty like so I remodded that light to the King of tint and CRI the 219B sw45k R9080 and didn't look back.
My most recent HDS mod is the sm353 (3500K) which has really grown on me.
I also have an unmodded direct from Hogo high noon and while it is nice it just doesn't grab me. I find that the CRI of the others against the sw45k is really lacking as its that good.
The tint of the sm573 high noon is ok, a bit blue at times but very nice for a higher Kelvin. Does it look like midday sun? Well not really to me. Is the CRI good, yes it's ok like many of the R9050 LEDs.
For that super high CRI colour that renders like nothing else it has to be R9080.
Don't get me wrong, the high noon was a good run but mine is a hair away from being modded to another sw45k as it's whites and colours can't be beat.

It is so hard to know until you see it for yourself. I figure if I don't like it, I could probably sell it fairly easily.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
SWEET!

Do you consider the 2700*k to be a specialty light vs the 5700* being more of a workhorse?

It seems like 2700* would be almost like a candle or ember.

The 2700k is just a specialty light for me... something I can use to set the ambiance when I drink rum out of the skull of an enemy... or just go camping and drink Madera around the campfire. I certainly don't see EDCing it. My original intent on the 5700k was to be able to show people who visit my leather shop the colors of the holsters and whatnot inside the shop, and have those same things look the same when they stepped out into the Tucson sun with it. The High Noon (5700k) accomplishes that perfectly. Same thing with medical. If you are looking at skin color, you don't necessarily want something that flatters the person your shining it on but shows the actual condition of the skin. My girl is a ICU RN, so I gave her a High Noon and she loves it for that reason.

So, I would have to say, for specific uses, it is great. It also appears to be brighter than lower color temperature lights... BUT, it isn't for everyone. A lot of people prefer lower color temps, and I will admit, if I'm just out walking the dog (who am I kidding... I'm usually trying to find that little 4 legged ninja in the yard as she hides because she doesn't want to come back in the house) I like the warmer color temps as they tend to make things more visually appealing.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is so hard to know until you see it for yourself. I figure if I don't like it, I could probably sell it fairly easily.

Yes, it's a bit like that.
My guess is you'll find it quite nice, I can understand the appeal considering its Hogo's grail also.
I'm more of a tint and CRI guy, colour temp aside. I gauge an LED based on the quality of tint and how well it renders white and colours.
It just so happens that most of the best quality is coming roughly from the 4000 to 5000K area in my experience, the super sw45k being about 4500K obviously.
As always gets stated colour temp doesn't describe a tint so there's 4000K and then there's 4000K etc.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it's a bit like that.
My guess is you'll find it quite nice, I can understand the appeal considering its Hogo's grail also.
I'm more of a tint and CRI guy, colour temp aside. I gauge an LED based on the quality of tint and how well it renders white and colours.
It just so happens that most of the best quality is coming roughly from the 4000 to 5000K area in my experience, the super sw45k being about 4500K obviously.
As always gets stated colour temp doesn't describe a tint so there's 4000K and then there's 4000K etc.

I'm definitely wanting to see one, and I should be able to soon. You do really have to see them in person. It all depends on the condition of Johnnyh's light (which arrived in the shop today, by the way) but we were far too busy making, boxing, and shipping lights to look at it. Maybe later in week or next I'll get a chance to check out the tint... if Henry can save the LED.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
........mine is a hair away from being modded to another sw45k as it's whites and colours can't be beat.

Ouch! Please don't do that. As a Clicky man myself, I'd hate to see that High Noon of yours disappear from the landscape and let all these Rotarys feel like they're running things.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, quit paying attention to anything Henry has to say about HDS lights. Making a note of that now.

LOL! Only when it has to do with any kind of timeline. The discussions on a titanium run have changed within HDS over the past several months, and the timeline for many of the features Henry discussed with you has also changed. We made a list of priorities back in January, and for the most part, we are sticking with it, but it is taking a good deal more time to work through it.

I simply didn't want people to think that there were going to be new features on a titanium light, if that happens this year, because there won't... even though Henry did want to do that, it would delay a run by 1.5 to 2 years in all likelihood.

The things Henry discussed with you haven't been engineered yet, prototyped, and tested, and each one will most likely take 4 months or more each, if there isn't something unforeseen, which there usually is.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
One question for the HDS experts.

1. I have a new Executive Hi CRI Clicky with the most current 2.18 software. Can I put one of my Rotary battery compartments on the head and turn it into a Rotary light?

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
One question for the HDS experts.

1. I have a new Executive Hi CRI Clicky with the most current 2.18 software. Can I put one of my Rotary battery compartments on the head and turn it into a Rotary light?
The software in the head prevents you from doing this. I believe you would have to send it in to be reprogrammed as a Rotary.

Status
Not open for further replies.