HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Thank you. And, yes, I just confirmed it does not work.

Haven't done it to my Clicky yet, but Hogo told me it's possible. Costs $40 to send it in to do the reprogramming. Hopefully in the future Henry will have a software update that allows users to use either Clicky or Rotary Bodies with their heads. That way you could use a Rotary for general EDC and then switch to a Clicky when you plan to get dirty or hard use the light (ie: beach, mud, forest, diving etc...). How cool would that be?!?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully in the future Henry will have a software update that allows users to use either Clicky or Rotary Bodies with their heads. That way you could use a Rotary for general EDC and then switch to a Clicky when you plan to get dirty or hard use the light (ie: beach, mud, forest, diving etc...). How cool would that be?!?

That is exactly what I wanted to do except I was hoping to switch my Hi CRI head from Clicky to Rotary to Clicky when the need presents itself. Might have to purchase another HDS Rotary Hi CRI in the meantime, oh my.

moltenmag

Enlightened
That is exactly what I wanted to do except I was hoping to switch my Hi CRI head from Clicky to Rotary to Clicky when the need presents itself. Might have to purchase another HDS Rotary Hi CRI in the meantime, oh my.

Totally understand your dilemma. Clickies are virtually indestructible while rotaries are more useful. Hopefully Henry is working on the software update! What CRI LED do you have?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally understand your dilemma. Clickies are virtually indestructible while rotaries are more useful. Hopefully Henry is working on the software update! What CRI LED do you have?

I have the standard LED for the Tactical Rotary issued in 2014 and a HDS website ordered Nichia 219B in my Executive Clicky purchased this year.

What type of pocket clips are the Rotary folks running with?

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I use a HDS universal clip on one of my rotaries, many say it's ugly and all but it works. I figure that I'm really the only one who has to look at it anyway. I attach it to the switch end and put a strip of electrical tape around the body so it doesn't scar up the body while turning. Fits good on a belt also.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How easy it that clip to put on and off?
I like my HDSs clip free, but there are times when one would be handy. So I'm considering am HDS Universal.
Thanks,
P

ven

Flashaholic
Its easy P, easy to fit and remove with small screw driver. The clip is about a thou off the body/head, perfect! to avoid any scrapes.
9PGz4DSl.jpg

Last edited:

moltenmag

Enlightened
I run the standard stock clip bezel up. If you unscrew the bezel from the body and then unscrew the bezel from the reflector you can put the wire clip in between the bezel and the reflector. It's really secure. That's how I run my rotaries. Much better than the clip that attaches over the rotary mechanism. I've heard that's annoying to deal with. It inhibits the rotary from moving. By carrying it with the clip in between the bezel and the reflector, the rotary mechanism is free to rotate. Plus you don't have to spend a lot of money! Only like $5-$10 for another clip!

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modding isn't necessary. Just put the clip in between the bezel and reflector. Works like a champ on my rotary!
Modding is necessary if you buy one of the current OR clips. HDS requires a larger diameter loop than the 6P. OR clips used to be the larger diameter but now they are 6P and require enlargement to fit HDS.

Trust me; I found this out the hard way.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modding is necessary if you buy one of the current OR clips. HDS requires a larger diameter loop than the 6P. OR clips used to be the larger diameter but now they are 6P and require enlargement to fit HDS.

Trust me; I found this out the hard way.

I just put my Prometheus clip between the head and the reflector. It fit perfectly.

Do you need a special tool to get the reflector removed?

What size O ring will I need for the lens if I use the Prometheus clip (between the reflector and the bezel) - 2x18.5mm?

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put my Prometheus clip between the head and the reflector. It fit perfectly.

Do you need a special tool to get the reflector removed?

What size O ring will I need for the lens if I use the Prometheus clip (between the reflector and the bezel) - 2x18.5mm?
2x18.5 is what worked best for me, between the lens and reflector.

d13avo

Enlightened
Totally understand your dilemma. Clickies are virtually indestructible while rotaries are more useful

I keep hearing this statement about clickies but I can't remember anyone having a broken rotary. It does make me feel like buying more clickies but I love the versatility of the rotary so much and never having one fail yet is the reason I have only purchased one clicky.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep hearing this statement about clickies but I can't remember anyone having a broken rotary. It does make me feel like buying more clickies but I love the versatility of the rotary so much and never having one fail yet is the reason I have only purchased one clicky.

Catastrophic failure, where the Rotary ceases to work at all (no light coming out of the end), I have not seen. I know of only one failure caused by damaged, which simply stoped the rotary function from working (which essentially turned the Rotary into a Clicky) happened on one that fell from a motorcycle on the freeway.

However, even this being the case, the Clicky has less moving parts, fewer contacts, and fewer electronic components in the tail. The Rotary mechanism has been upgraded a few times (and will continue to be upgraded as Henry thinks of improvements to it).

Henry himself considers the Clicky more indestructible than the Rotary (he and I have had conversations about this).

All this being said, I'm a huge Rotary fan. At the same time, I keep a Clicky in my emergency bag. I carry a folding knife daily, but have a fixed blade in the bag... both the same high end brand. I kind of consider this the same thing.

If the zombie apocalypse was starting, and I had to pick just one... (it would bother me more that I had to pick just one than the fact that people were turning into and getting eaten by zombies) but in that case, after a lot of snot and tears, I would grab the Clicky.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch! Please don't do that. As a Clicky man myself, I'd hate to see that High Noon of yours disappear from the landscape and let all these Rotarys feel like they're running things.

Yeah I hear you. It does seem a shame to mod a high noon, I'm still on the fence.
On the other hand my LED swap mods are very tidy and having another sw45k in HDS form is very tempting.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have an SW45k-ified HDS, in this orange cerakote beauty

UXzekRB.jpg

For all I know yours and mine are the only ones in the world, and yes having another out there wouldn't be a bad thing. But as much as I love it I don't think I'd want this emitter in every HDS I own. Variety is nice.

elzilcho

Enlightened
How easy it that clip to put on and off?
I like my HDSs clip free, but there are times when one would be handy. So I'm considering am HDS Universal.
Thanks,
P

The clip from a 2014 edition Fenix PD35 fits the "waist" segment of the rotary nicely. Other versions might also fit but I don't have any of those to test. I don't know how often you'd want to install/uninstall it but it's doable.

moltenmag

Enlightened
The clip from a 2014 edition Fenix PD35 fits the "waist" segment of the rotary nicely. Other versions might also fit but I don't have any of those to test. I don't know how often you'd want to install/uninstall it but it's doable.

I had an Olight S1 Baton 1st gen clip on my rotary bezel down for a while. It was a tight fit and the deep carry portion of the clip barely cleared the rotary mechanism. It was the deepest way to carry the rotary; but I eventually ditched it for bezel up carry with the standard HDS Clicky clip (between the bezel and reflector). Way more secure way to carry a $300 light!

Status
Not open for further replies.