HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
For one from my friend, a little comparison of shades on a whiteboard (fibreboard)

in this photo I laid them out in groups with the most similar shade (except three blue, they are different from everyone and from themselves), the saddest thing is that the shades turned out to be similar to what I see with my own eyes, except for 219C, 219C has in reality a more yellow appearance, which for some reason the camera does not want to register under any circumstances.

all together they give a very nice shade

And here is a comparison of the golden dragon 120 with the NLT

max

If you combine the hot spots, you can see that the dragon stands out, but I will soon do it on the house somewhere in 50 meters, the dragon clearly wins in range. Because of the larger spot size at distances up to 30-40 meters among the trees, NLT (or standard 250 or hi cri 200) is still better like dragon, though not so bright, but it is more visible, therefore it can be seen more

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great photos![emoji106][emoji106]

UPDATE: although from the last century, GD can outperform todays standard emitters only because of it's tiny die. Similar output i've noticed comparing XPL and SST20.
Although XPL gives 350lm at around 1A and SST20 only 250 (like 219B), SST throws much farther than XPL due to smaller size die.

Last edited:

Lithium466

Enlightened
What about the super rare GD+ 200 ?

I should try a GD with the smooth reflector, but I only have GD+ 120...

The GD have a little je ne sais quoi which makes them stand out. Or maybe the XP-G/G2 have been so prevalent for years that they became boring? Am I an emitter snob now?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshoots!

I don't have that GD anymore. Sold it back in 2016... first reason was because of the beam reach and second it was a Clicky... the titanium one I did the video on. Both lights had the orange peel reflectors and while the tint was much nicer on the dragon the distance reach didn't match the 250. Still impressive for under 200 lumens but just quite didn't make it out there. The new 325 NLT pretty much matches the 250 in throw but keep in mind there are several different levels of the 250 tint out there with the cooler being the least pleasant and less useful as opposed to the better and rare tints which put it really close to the high noon.
The 200+ gd mentioned I've never seen one so can't comment.
Having had the titanium ra Clicky In the hands and feeling how robust that thing was is what prompted me to spring on the new rotary and while it looks nice and outperforms I still prefer the older built in terms of finish and feel.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the super rare GD+ 200 ?

I should try a GD with the smooth reflector, but I only have GD+ 120...
Am I an emitter snob now?

You could be. I am now... don't care for the xpg2's common tint and feel the 325 will be the new 250. There are a very few and rare 250s that have a really useful tint, one I ve had was from around 2015 or 16, the next best was the Navy Seal prototype or sample that HDS did. The old orange cerakote I ve mentioned before was the one with the best tint I've had in a 250. So yeah I'd say I m a tint snob now... too cool I have no use for it... too warm not beneficial for me.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
And so, I made a mistake - jon_slider correctly pointed me to the white balance. My eyes are spoiled by the lamp monitor and the surrounding lamps 2700K. I revised the camera settings and now the color more matches the real. This is especially noticeable on HDS 219B 4500K, if you watch photos of other participants, especially WarriorOfLight . I also want to hear the opinion of those who have 219B 4500K in their hands, so that they can say whether the shade on these photos is similar to what they see in their reality?

toads

Newly Enlightened
Are modern LEDs not capable of giving off pure white light without a shift in tint/color? Would a beam from an incandescent bulb along with the rest of these look different?

From my own night time use experience, the 219b r9080 4500k is a bit too cool/pink, the 219c 4000k has been really nice to me.

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are modern LEDs not capable of giving off pure white light without a shift in tint/color? Would a beam from an incandescent bulb along with the rest of these look different?

From my own night time use experience, the 219b r9080 4500k is a bit too cool/pink, the 219c 4000k has been really nice to me.
Yes, they are incapable. But that's partially because there is no such thing as 'pure white light without a shift in tint/color'. Everything has a tint when compared to another light source.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
On its own you can't see the pink, but put it next to another type of emitter, like in the pictures, and yes - it's pink.
As far as I'm concerned, it's the ideal emitter for day and night use. Plus it doesn't make me feel stressed.
Win win.
P

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crossing the beams always messes with the brains white balance.
How to make a bad light look good and a good light look bad... and it often leads to buying more lights... at least when I do it.

I had picked up a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 in cool and Super Hound Dog in neutral. Playing with beams inside the house, I really didn't like the neutral at all. Was even thinking about getting another but in cool. Then I went into the desert at night. Now I don't like the cool 18650 and wish I had that in neutral as well. I'll just have to play with them in the house more.

I think tint is largely a matter of taste and application.

JKolmo

Enlightened
To me an nb45 is pink, uncrossed on its own, day or night - I see it all the time. I much prefer the na45. Or nc57 (my current grail).

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@hogo
I know I keep going on about that Navy Seal 250 "but" what you just said made me think of something. While I never cross beams to judge a tint one of my tests involves going up to the second floor in this old house which is being redone. I shine the light down the stairs at different angles in very low light and the cooler the tint the more depth I seem to lose along with color in the wood. I don't want to step down with the cooler tints cause I can't see as much of what I want to see with the closer to neutral or even warmer tints including the non hi cri NLT 325 and again there is a variation between the ti rotary and another 325 NLT meaning same emitter but 2 different shades or color tints. Both op reflector and both new sapphire brown.

@ thermalguy
The 4500 r9080 I ve heard is supposed to have a rosy tint ... this one I ve heard makes colors really pop out but I can't confirm

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me an nb45 is pink, uncrossed on its own, day or night - I see it all the time. I much prefer the na45. Or nc57 (my current grail).
It's so subjective, I really don't think it can be sensibly discussed.
I like sauvignon blanc and maybe you prefer something less citrus.
Life would be very monotonous if we all liked the same stuff.
"What do you think of this"
"Lovely"
"Me too"
Silence.
Mrs Yeti and I have such different tastes in everything, but we've survived together at least a hundred years.

P

Status
Not open for further replies.