Help me choose a Fenix

Albinoni

Banned
I have both the Fenix P2D and the Nitecore EX10. The P2D-R100 has a flawless beam. It is an awesome light with 2 exceptions... The low is not low at all. It totally ruins your night vision. The light has no knurling but certainly not a show stopper.

The EX10 is very nice also, but not a huge CREE fan due to the ringy beam. The low is very low and perfect in my mind. The ramping is great at any light level in between. Only down side to the EX10 is the piston is very stiff to push, and the CREE in my opinion.

If I had to choose only one, the EX10 would be my choice do to the knurling and low low.

Bud

I am assuming your P2D is using a Luxeon Rebel LED if I'm right.

Now re the circles on the Cree I've heard this problem can be overcomed by an OP reflector if this is true.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Fenix P1D Q5 CE come with a OP reflector as I would be my preferable choice.
Yes, it's available in OP. The OP will smooth out the beam. It will also reduce the throw of the beam. I prefer the smooth reflector, but that's just my personal preference.

Albinoni

Banned
Yes, it's available in OP. The OP will smooth out the beam. It will also reduce the throw of the beam. I prefer the smooth reflector, but that's just my personal preference.

Thing is I 've heard with the Cree LED's they tend to give out those circles and to only way to stop it is bny using a OP reflector, though it would be interesting to see what a beam would look like using a smooth reflector and how bad the circles are.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thing is I 've heard with the Cree LED's they tend to give out those circles and to only way to stop it is bny using a OP reflector, though it would be interesting to see what a beam would look like using a smooth reflector and how bad the circles are.
The ring does not bother me, but it does bother some people. You can find pictures of beam shots here on CPF. I don't have a link. You could try the CPF Google search. Some of those old posts may contain some heated discussion over this issue. I think that controversy has played itself out, and now people mostly feel "to each his own", or "different strokes for different folks".