Help me Decide

High_Noon

Newly Enlightened
So I received a candlepowerforum.com "Highlighted Posts" email the other day, after not having been on the forum for quite a while. Against my better judgement, I began pursuing the various posts.

You basterds now have me wanting another light, even though I don't need one.

I was thinking on a 20700 x 1 light. Texas Lumens would have been my go-to but they are no longer in business. The 21700 powered lights seem to have surpassed the 20700 lights. So that left me a new light powered by either the 18650 or the 21700 cell. I'm leaning towards the 21700 for several reasons, but the 18650 would certainly be a good choice as well. I do realize that I can use a 20700 cell in a light sized for a 21700.

Usage will be in the field for outdoor activities, but also for occasional automotive use, possible defensive use, and of course, around the house.

I don't need monster illumination but I wouldn't rule it out as long as I have enough lower illumination levels. I also need a low (20 lumens or under) and/or extra-low (moonlight) illumination level(s).

I don't like external rubber plugs that cover charging ports and I prefer to avoid them altogether (charging port). I am fine with opening the light up to change out the battery. I don't know much about the different types of light engines, but I don't particularly like the really bright white colors, I prefer the more"natural" white. Budget is ~$130.00 or less.

I am after an intuitive UI that operates as it should - not a cumbersome UI, or a light w/ a button that's difficult to engage correctly every time. I also prefer an orange peel reflector, though that is not a deal-breaker.

These are my top contenders in the 21700 cell size:
1) Zebra SC700d
2) Nitecore E4K
3) Fenix TK22UE

18650 sized:
1) Zebra SC600w Mk IV Plus
2) Zebra SC64w HI
3) Manaker MC11 II
4) Fenix TK20R or the PD35

Any comments or other recommendations would be welcomed.

- Thanks.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will also suggest a convoy m21 or L21. They're both single 21700 lights of good quality with reverse clickies. Generally with them you can choose which led you want and your chosen drive current. Plus UI choice. The L series has a larger head for more throw

High_Noon

Newly Enlightened
I'm leaning towards one of the Zebras, but I'm not sure how easy the UI is to operate on the Zebras - they seem complicated.

Last edited:

NWWatchguy

Newly Enlightened
P.S. Got the email as well after having been away for a while. Feeling like I need a new flashlight too.:whistle:

High_Noon

Newly Enlightened
I wanted a Zebra light years ago, but they sold out of the model I wanted (I have forgotten which one now).

I now need to decide on the 18650 or the 21700.

High_Noon

Newly Enlightened
That's what I was thinking. I kinda' like the size of the 18650 Zebra better, but I think the smart move is to go with the 21700

3_gun

Enlightened
Don't fear the UI.
The IF25a @ $35 (w/battery) hits most of your list. If you don't want to mess with the UI, just the ramp modes from off (the default) gives you a start at 1L or 10L & ramping, smooth or steps, to 2000L. Stop where you're happy. Run times are good at levels below 1000L. You'll never know the extras are there if you don't look for them. From OFF you can start at the bottom of your ramp, at your memory setting or high. Plus the 4000k light has a good CRI rating. The only strikes are it does have a charging port cover (fits well) & it's a TIR lens. Sizing isn't bad, it tail stands & the real world throw is well over 100m with good spill. Great light, I've got 2 now & may get a 3rd at the right price