Help me get my first flashlight!

bstrickler

Enlightened
Why AA? Aint it better to go stright for the CR123a batteries?
Are they not better?

And if I get the AA version it sais "Voltage range: 0.9V ~ 4.2V", and my AAs are 1.5V. Total 1.2V from max. Don't that mean dimmer brightness or do I misunderstand?

AA's are easier to find all over. In the US, at least, almost EVERY store has AA's. Places like Walgreens/CVS carry CR123's, but they're $5-10 PER battery!

If you use the light on high all the time, for the Tactical AA^2, your runtime is 1.3 hours @ 170 lumens, while the 123^2 Tactical is 1.8 hours @ 230 lumens. In all the other settings, the AA^2 gets the same, or longer runtime at equal levels as the CR123^2 version. Plus, you save $10 off the bat, going with the AA^2. That means you would effectively get 2 sets of rechargeable batteries + the light for the same price it would cost for the CR123^2.

Your eye's wont see much of a difference between the 230 and 170 lumens.

Plus, a 4-pack of Nimh (rechargeable) AA's costs maybe $10-$15 here in the US. That will get you 2.6 hours on high. For $10 in regular CR123's, you'll get 1.8 hours. Thats all assuming you are buying from a store, not online. Online, you'll be able to find much cheaper prices, but you don't always have the time to order from a place online, or recharge the batteries. Sometimes you need batteries immediately.

~Brian

utalker

Newly Enlightened
AA's are easier to find all over. In the US, at least, almost EVERY store has AA's. Places like Walgreens/CVS carry CR123's, but they're $5-10 PER battery!

If you use the light on high all the time, for the Tactical AA^2, your runtime is 1.3 hours @ 170 lumens, while the 123^2 Tactical is 1.8 hours @ 230 lumens. In all the other settings, the AA^2 gets the same, or longer runtime at equal levels as the CR123^2 version. Plus, you save $10 off the bat, going with the AA^2. That means you would effectively get 2 sets of rechargeable batteries + the light for the same price it would cost for the CR123^2.

Your eye's wont see much of a difference between the 230 and 170 lumens.

Plus, a 4-pack of Nimh (rechargeable) AA's costs maybe $10-$15 here in the US. That will get you 2.6 hours on high. For $10 in regular CR123's, you'll get 1.8 hours. Thats all assuming you are buying from a store, not online. Online, you'll be able to find much cheaper prices, but you don't always have the time to order from a place online, or recharge the batteries. Sometimes you need batteries immediately.

~Brian

You have a point there.

What do you think about

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1656
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_95&products_id=1467

Batteries charged with USB port. It sounds pretty cool. And I don't have to buy an expensive charger.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
SB Flashlights MC-E drop in can fit in any P60 compatible host. I think its just a one mode though.

They have a 2xAA host that can take P60 drop ins as well, just surf a bit there and take a look around, it's a great site and if you have any queries, i think you can PM jake25 or drop them an email.

Rexlion

Enlightened
If you really wanted a quad die light, I'd suggest the MG PLI from shiningbeam.com for a little over $50 after discount. It's floody and very bright, sometimes described as a wall of light. You would need to add a charger and 18650 battery, though.

But the advice already posted is good. Plenty of good quality lights with good brightness from the likes of Fenix, Nitecore, 4Sevens, etc. Take your pick of preferred battery.

Torchinator

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! O.K., I went through alot of agony before buying my first REAL light. After going through endless posts here on CPF, I pulled the trigger on the Quark AA2 R2 edition and I have never looked back! :thumbsup: I have had this light for a little over a month now, and I have yet to replace my L92's. And I play with this light ENDLESSLY! For just a little over $50 shipped with a ten year warranty, this has been a winner for me. You could buy from sights like DX, but remember, sooner or later, no matter how good the product is, chances are that eventually, it will fail or have some kind of an issue. Who do you want in your corner when that happens? I don't want the guys who gave me the lowest possible price and longest possible shipping times. I want the people here, in the states, who will stand by what they make and give me not just answers, but solutions. I looked at the Quark 123*2, but for me, the extra power vs. the extra price tag and limited avail. of the batteries was not worth it. Not when you could buy an 18650 set up to replace your AA set-up with that head, and almost triple your run time! No matter which direction you decide to go, it seems to me that your first light will make or break your addiction. For me, the Quark AA2 was the light to make my addiction! Welcome! :twothumbs

pobox1475

Enlightened
Very well stated Torchinator. I have two warm tint Quarks and plan to add a warm Mini AA and possibly a RGB. I see no faults with mine.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with Dealextreme is the manufacturers have terrible QA. You get a good light you're happy, you get a bad one same model and you are constantly fiddling with it assuming you do not get it DOA or it dies in a couple of weeks.

Here is a slightly out of date thread on the P7/MCE lights. Lots of links to reviews, comments.
SSC-P7 & Cree MC-E Production lights

For a good small light you are looking at $50-$70.
For a good P7/MCE light you are looking at $150.

If size is no problem consider a 3C or 3D Maglite (incan,) with a Malkoff drop in.

icpd30

Newly Enlightened
Buying your 1st light. I can understand the agony. I can only add that I own and use everyday a Fenix TK10. It was one of the 1st QUALITY lights I purchased, and I didn't know much about different battery types. NOW, with months/years of education, I wish I would have gotten the TK11, for the versitility in batteries. It (TK10) is a great light, can't go wrong if you get either one.

I have purchased items, including flashlights, from DX. Everyone is correct: 20-30 or more calendar days for delivery. Since DX is not a dealer, I suspect that any 'brand name' lights they sell are counterfeits. I would never purchase a name brand from DX, only something that is cheap and I don't depend on for my livlihood,safety, etc.

I don't know very much about the mechanics of flashlights or batteries, but there is a saying I always think of: the quality of an item is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

ICPD30