Help me help my Grandparents.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I've been really impressed with the new LED upgrade module

for the plain ol' Mini-Mag 2AA flashlight.

No, not the boring Nite-Ize module ($5), which burns for 12 hours.

The brand-new Sandwich Shoppe MJ 2-AA module kit.

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=950&osCsid=dfeb8f91fe4d1e8774f974239e7264e2

Bought two of them myself, for $20 plus $3.11 shipping = $23.11 total.

This uses a SMJLED "bulb", and is even quite focus-able.

Gives plenty of light for many uses, and easily lasts 24 hours on a set of alkalines.

Been very impressed with this device, since i got 'em a month ago.

Recommend them highly for people (like me) who are more interested
in Long Runtime, rather than High Output.

And we all know how tough and rugged the Mini-Mag is.
(especially with a bulb that will never burn-out, blacken, or break)

Actually, i'm rather surprised that CPF'ers don't have more interest in this thing.

Perhaps cuz' it just came out last month ?

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
Newuser01 said:
One thing tho......

For older folks, it is better to have something to hold on to and easy to switch on and off. I love my newly acquired Jetbeam but would never suggest this for older folks.
+1 to that thought.

As I first started reading this thread, I had in mind suggesting a bunch of fauxtons, as others have. But fauxtons can be difficult to operate. AAA keychain lights would probably be better than fauxtons.

See the thread "What's a good light for an elderly person" for additional ideas.

Last edited:

jayhackett03

Enlightened
jayhackett03 said:
how about a Streamlight Stinger HP. rechargeable, permanent base.

i'm think a flashlight in which they wouldn't have to remove and replace the batteries all the time would be best. a flashlight "kit" with a charger (magcharger) would be best and keep it simple and always charged for them.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
RdlyLite said:
My grandparents live in a VERY rural part of Zacatecas, Mex and very often the electricity goes out on their property.

Might be best to find out what kind of battery resources are available to them, first. (e.g. AA, C, D, carbon-zinc, alkaline)

RdlyLite said:
My grandma is in her late 60's or early 70's. My grandpa has a little store and he has at also been cut short of his electricity many a times. He is on crutches becuase his leg had to be amputed many years ago.

At least, they're not old ;) I think something that runs on both disposable primary and rechargeables might be best since they don't always have power. You'll also want to find out what kind of AC power they have in their area.

RdlyLite said:
I was thinking on sending them a care package of lights. I talked to my mom, and she said that flashlights are invaluable there. And she said that what I currently have puts my grandparents light to shame. :(

That's real nice of you. A lot of young people barely acknowledge that their grandparents are even alive if they don't receive presents from them at regular intervals.

RdlyLite said:
But I would appreciate your guy's input on what to include in my package. Lets keep the costs reasonable (like around 100-200$). This package should also include the batteries.

Suggest you not get too exotic, as you don't want to make them vulnerable victims to thieves either. The SLPP4AA Lux that was mentioned is a pretty good idea, as it is light and bright, the switch is relatively light if either of them is afflicted with arthritis. The only drawback would be the switch on the end of the light, but given their ages, I don't think it would be terribly hard for them to adapt. Mags are potentially good choices, especially if it is one of the 2 or 3 cell LED versions, but the drawback to Mags is that they are heavier, and they have a strong spring that might make it difficult for some seniors to put the tailcap back on after changing batteries. (come to think of it, it's sometimes difficult for those who are on the verge of becoming seniors ;) ). And of course, the MiniMagLED's can be useful as well, but it's small size could be a problem if either is afflicted with arthritis.

Also, if they're in a part of Mexico that uses 110 VAC power, you might want to consider the 15 minute charger package from Costco. That way they can recharge batteries quickly before the power goes out, and if they own a car, they can charge the batteries from the car.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know how agile your grandparents are, but you might want to think about getting lights that are NOT completely round. Too easy to roll off a table or counter, and perhaps get stuck in a difficult-to-access crevice.

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Where to start... hmmm...

Fellow CPF'ers, these are all great thoughts! This is exactly why I came to you guys. My light knowledge grows by the day. Thanks a bunch.

I am just trying to do something for my grandparents that is easily within my means and that will make THEIR lives much more comfortable. :)

mdocod

Flashaholic
I didn't have as large a budget.... but had the same need awhile back.... wanted to give my grandparents a few decent lights for around the house. They live in a rural area as well..

I ended up settling on a couple of LEDBEAMS because they are fairly bright, run a long time and use common easy to find alkalines.

If I had to do it over again- I'd probably also pickup a smaller version of the thors (10MCP or smaller) and a float charger and hook up a simple plug for the charger so it could be left on the charger ALL THE TIME. Most folks will destroy the batteries in a cheap light that uses a typical lead acid battery and a wall-wart. Overcharges the battery, then it never works right again- a good battery tender float charger for about $20-30 plus a 10MCP thor for about $30, plus a lower power bulb (a standard automotive bulb ~65W) for longer runtime.... This would be great for pointing around the wilderness at night, rounding up animals or checking out bumps in the night.

protein_man

Newly Enlightened
I would give em a propoly luxeon and a heap of spare alkaline batteries. I would also give them something with super long runtime like a cheap dorcy 1 led light that runs off 2 D cells. They are cheap and can run for over 100 hours!

tacticalstuff

Newly Enlightened
All options posted are great suggestions. perhaps you can try to ensure that most (if not all) the lights you are sending all run on either AA or whatever... ease of management of stock.... rechargeables like eneloops are a great idea.

All the lights i buy now are all CR123. saves me the trouble of having to stock too many battery types, esp when i am travelling.... i reckon your grandparents would appreciate that too.

A headlamp sounds great for them..... maybe a gerber lantern too?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Suggest you not get too exotic, as you don't want to make them vulnerable victims to thieves either. The SLPP4AA Lux that was mentioned is a pretty good idea, as it is light and bright, the switch is relatively light if either of them is afflicted with arthritis. The only drawback would be the switch on the end of the light, but given their ages, I don't think it would be terribly hard for them to adapt. Mags are potentially good choices, especially if it is one of the 2 or 3 cell LED versions, but the drawback to Mags is that they are heavier, and they have a strong spring that might make it difficult for some seniors to put the tailcap back on after changing batteries. (come to think of it, it's sometimes difficult for those who are on the verge of becoming seniors ;) ). And of course, the MiniMagLED's can be useful as well, but it's small size could be a problem if either is afflicted with arthritis.

I was going to bring this point up on the Mags. I bought a 2C today and while I love it and it would work perfect for rounding up the animals at night, it does take a bit of oomph to get the tailcap started properly. Somebody should make an aftermarket spring geared towards the elderly for these.