Help, NiteCore EC11 has got it's cell stuck!!

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is less destructive than the drilling method, so, if this doesn't work, it doesn't make the situation any worst when you start drilling. So it is worth trying, I think.

Out of curiosity, what's destructive about the drilling method? The battery is already toast and will be tossed. ???

Rick NJ

Newly Enlightened
Out of curiosity, what's destructive about the drilling method? The battery is already toast and will be tossed. ???

Drilling the batteries' top (or bottom) destroys the integrity of the top/bottom of the battery (hole added) possibly makes the battery harder to grab or be fully removed. While you can stick a plier's nose into the hole to grip, but the weaken battery housing may tear so you get only a piece of metal sliver from the hole's edge - this is what happened to me trying to remove a leaked (expanded) alkaline from a MiniMag. The rest of the battery housing is glued/bonded to the inside of the aluminum tube. I was able to do a "roll" - by turning the plier attempting to roll the housing's sheet of metal on to the plier's nose, that removed more but that didn't work well as I hoped. The plier's nose doesn't reach deep enough to remove more.

Whereas, doing a thermo shock is more or less non-destructive. "More or less non-destructive" is of course a gross generalization. Some circuit board inside the flashlight tubmay not be able to survive, solder joints may fracture, etc.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drilling the batteries' top (or bottom) destroys the integrity of the top/bottom of the battery (hole added) possibly makes the battery harder to grab or be fully removed.

I'm a destructive person so it reads as if what you're describing is right up my alley. Thank-you for the reply.

Latest posts