Help on memory function

speedster

Newly Enlightened
Well it's about time for an update. When I got home, I saw a small little package on my bed and then realized it's finally hear. Everything that I hoped for.

Its a great light, but a few things I did notice that made me sad. I put the clip from the lanyard on. Walked around a bit then took the clip off. I realized that some of the paint came off but im sure that normal, no biggie. When I turned it on, I instantly saw the rings. Again, no biggie. When I reach the brighter settings, there is a whine. That one, I do have a big problem with. Can anybody please explain if thats normal or what.

Also, programming it is a little hard. I programmed the 2nd and 3rd modes, but im having a little trouble with 1.

Does anybody know a better or easier way to program it? Or is it just because im not used to the light yet?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Walked around a bit then took the clip off. I realized that some of the paint came off but im sure that normal, no biggie.

That's anodizing, and if you use a metal clip in the lanyard, some of it will get chipped.

When I turned it on, I instantly saw the rings. Again, no biggie.

Rings only count if you notice them in normal use, particularly outdoors. Not on a white wall.

When I reach the brighter settings, there is a whine. That one, I do have a big problem with. Can anybody please explain if thats normal or what.

That's inductor whine, it means your particular copy has something loose in the circuitry way down on the microscopic level; when electricity passes through/near it, it vibrates, creating a whine. It's a common problem with nearly all technically sophisticated modern lights.

If this is a dealbreaker for you, you can return and exchange your light for another copy.

Also, programming it is a little hard. I programmed the 2nd and 3rd modes, but im having a little trouble with 1.

Does anybody know a better or easier way to program it? Or is it just because im not used to the light yet?

If your light uses a reverse-clicky, turn the light on (full click), wait a few seconds, then soft-click three times, then you can program the first mode. It takes a few seconds after you've written a mode for it to take.

speedster

Newly Enlightened
If your light uses a reverse-clicky, turn the light on (full click), wait a few seconds, then soft-click three times, then you can program the first mode. It takes a few seconds after you've written a mode for it to take.

The whine is no big deal at all. I found a solution to it. Which involves programming it. I actually learned to program it just by messing around. The thing I do is: If im programming the 2nd mode, I would enter the hidden menu on the 1st mode. What ever mode I would like to program, I just use the previous mode to enter the hidden menu.

When I programmed the light, I realized that the whine stops after a certain amount of lumens. My third setting is ~50 lumens. It does not whine around that many lumen.

Here is the bad part. I reset it by accident!:oops:So I had to do all the levels over and the whine is back. Maybe I just need to keep messing around with it and the whine will stop.

StarHalo, again thank you for all the insight you have provided me.

speedster

Newly Enlightened
Update: It has been over a year since when I last posted on this forum(main due to school, work, etc). I still use the JB as my EDC. I think the light is still a great tool. Its all dinged up and scratched everywhere. There are 2 things that bother me about the light though:
1) After dropping it time after time, there is something rattling around in the head. That does bother me though. Is there any way I can may be return this unit for a new one? If I can't, I am completely fine with keeping it.
2) The other thing that kinda bothers me(no big deal by any means) is that it just doesn't seem that bright to me at all anymore. May be my eyes are just used to it. I normally use ~10 lumens and ~120 lumens. Full power just doesn't seem the same from when I first got it and now.

I highly recommend this light for a person looking for an everyday carry or a person who is just starting to get in to torches. May be I just need to start looking for something that can do 300 lumens.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You won't be able to return the light after a year of use; the rattling in the head is most likely the lens which has come unsealed from the front o-ring (if the rattle is at the very front/head, that's it), you might try lubing the o-ring generously to see if it'll re-seal, and don't go diving with your light. If that's not the problem, or you just really want it dealt with, you can talk to CPF member Sabrewolf about a repair.

As for the brightness, it's possible that after a few thousand hours runtime you might see a slight dimming, but generally speaking, anytime you use one light exclusively for a long time, you're going to get used to the output level. Borrow a friend or neighbor's Maglite and try using it for a few minutes, it'll bring back your appreciation for your modern light.

There's a lot of high-output lights out there currently, but you'll be very hard pressed to find something that has the combination of an always-perfect user interface with the proper everyday-use broad beam. If you're just itching to look at something new, you might check out the Quark series; you can't program the levels on them, but they are otherwise close to the feature set found on the III.

speedster

Newly Enlightened
You won't be able to return the light after a year of use; the rattling in the head is most likely the lens which has come unsealed from the front o-ring (if the rattle is at the very front/head, that's it), you might try lubing the o-ring generously to see if it'll re-seal, and don't go diving with your light. If that's not the problem, or you just really want it dealt with, you can talk to CPF member Sabrewolf about a repair.

As for the brightness, it's possible that after a few thousand hours runtime you might see a slight dimming, but generally speaking, anytime you use one light exclusively for a long time, you're going to get used to the output level. Borrow a friend or neighbor's Maglite and try using it for a few minutes, it'll bring back your appreciation for your modern light.

There's a lot of high-output lights out there currently, but you'll be very hard pressed to find something that has the combination of an always-perfect user interface with the proper everyday-use broad beam. If you're just itching to look at something new, you might check out the Quark series; you can't program the levels on them, but they are otherwise close to the feature set found on the III.

The funny thing about this... it turns out the battery was just low. Once I switched them out for some fresh ones, I was amazed again. I honestly love this light. Can't Wait for the fall and winter to come, then I can use it more than usual.