Hey, I need a light for: Search & Rescue and Camping!

REV666

Newly Enlightened
OK, so let me make this as easy as I can:

Im clueless to flashlight tech currently. My only light is a polished stainless AA Maratac....so yea I need better.

I need ONE light to cover me on a few fronts:

1.a): I am the president of my states hammock camping group and have a lot of need for a bright light with a lot of throw. As a hammock camper, one of the biggest dangers is hooking up to a tree and not being able to see any "widow makers" (dead limbs waiting to fall) above your campsite. 1.b) I do several gear reviews online but mostly in person at camping events. I need something that I can reliably use and be affordable to the average joe.

2: I do volunteer search & rescue with the local forestry service with a few of the other dual sport/dirtbikers in the state. My KLR has 8000 lumens out the front but I need something that I can use in the field. I dont get the awesome discounts/authority/catalogs that the badged guys do so Im on my own for figuring out gear, from paying for it to figuring out what will work best.

So, tl;dr version is I need:

* waterproof
* bright when needed
* strobe modes: SOS, at least slow strobe for location/signaling purposes
* compact, has to ride on my belt or on my pack
* long throw
* around $100 +/-
* clicky

I have been doing a little (very little) research and Ive been considering the 4-7s MMU-X3. Its great aside from only having 2 modes and it cant tail stand.

For normal camping I have a few different headlamps so thats not the issues. My main use for this light will be when on foot in the woods and checking trees in camp, so the headlamps dont really do as well for this task.

Thanks for any help and links are appreciated.

Im not up on the latest terminology, so talk to me like Im stupid please...

matt4350

Enlightened
Why don't you check out the 4 x aa cell lights, seems it might be a good starting point with your budget. Have a look through the reviews on this website, there's a whole shedload of variety, and rechargeable cells would save you a dollar down the track.

GTRmiami

Newly Enlightened
Why don't you check out the 4 x aa cell lights, seems it might be a good starting point with your budget. Have a look through the reviews on this website, there's a whole shedload of variety, and rechargeable cells would save you a dollar down the track.

Out of the few lights I have, I'd use the Sunwayman D40A for what the OP is looking for. Incredibly bright for a 4xAA light, fairly compact, and a very good thrower. Can be found for under $60, then use the remaining funds to buy some eneloops and a good charger.

markr6

Flashaholic
I do a lot of hammock camping as well and use my Zebralight H600w II on every backpacking trip (plenty for locating widowmakers IMO). It's a headlamp, but if you want a torch their SC600 or SC600w would be just as good or better. Very compact and over 1000lumens. Lots of modes. Uses an 18650 Li-Ion battery so you'll want to be familiar with those.

I was tempted to, but did not recommend my Nitecore EA4 because it's very heavy with 4AA batteries and I don't think you'll like that on your belt.

I somehow missed the "SAR" part, so probably scratch the SC600 in regards to that.

Last edited:

GTRmiami

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of hammock camping as well and use my Zebralight H600w II on every backpacking trip (plenty for locating widowmakers IMO). It's a headlamp, but if you want a torch their SC600 or SC600w would be just as good or better. Very compact and over 1000lumens. Lots of modes. Uses an 18650 Li-Ion battery so you'll want to be familiar with those.

I was tempted to, but did not recommend my Nitecore EA4 because it's very heavy with 4AA batteries and I don't think you'll like that on your belt.

Aren't those ZLs more of a floody light? I want an SC600, and almost ordered one the other day from a place that actually had them in stock but I waited too long and now they're sold out, so maybe they'll have some more by Christmas time, but my understanding is that those are mostly designed for flood rather than throw. The D40A I mentioned is a thrower. It's about the same size as the EA4 you mentioned and at least for me personally, I don't think it would be too uncomfortable to carry it in a holster on a belt. And it's small enough to fit in any size backpack. I've used it to walk the dog a few times and have found it very comfortable to carry. If I were going camping or on a nighttime hike in the woods, I would take the D40A as my thrower.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I need ONE light to cover me on a few fronts:

1.a): I am the president of my states hammock camping group and have a lot of need for a bright light with a lot of throw. As a hammock camper, one of the biggest dangers is hooking up to a tree and not being able to see any "widow makers" (dead limbs waiting to fall) above your campsite. <SNIP> and be affordable to the average joe.

2: I do volunteer search & rescue with the local forestry service <BIG SNIP>..

Hammock camping and SAR work are worlds apart.
The average joe has no need for SAR lights, nor the need to PAY for what is best for SAR.

Hammock camper? May I assume... lightweight backpacking? Pretty much any 2*AA light with two modes should do the trick. Maybe something like a mini maglight <$20. A narrow focused beam will reach 200 feet with one lux. Enough to make out those widow makers. If he needs more reach than that... park himself under a smaller tree.

SAR? Depending upon the terrain maybe you'll need more flood, or more throw. More flood for heavily wooded areas.
Lights in the SAR category are more like the Thrunite TN30 floody, TN31 or TN32 throwers, TN35 somewhere between the 30 and 32.
Other lights might be the Fenix TK35 floody short range thrower, TK75 floody longer thrower.

Here are selfbuilt's reviews of the Fenix TK75, Thrunite TN30, TN31 and TN32

The crest of the hill in the foreground is 30 yards, the trees in the back are 100 yards.

TN 30-31

TK75 - TN30

TN31 - TN32

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you'd like to have SOS and throw: Nitecore MT25!
The Nitecore MT26 is much brighther and floodier but nearly the same throw. I'd go for the MT25 for a lower step-down and better runtimes on continuous turbo.
Just keep in mind the lowest brightness on these lights ranges from 20 to 30 lumens so for middle of the night stuff where you want to keep some your night vision you'll need another light with a lower low or to at least use colored filters: Nitecore makes 34mm RGB filters and a white diffuser for these lights.
I would have suggested the Fenix TK15 or LD41 XM-L2 U2 but I don't think either model has SOS!

If you really want to have a lot of throw for SAR, go for the MT40 - not the best thrower in its category but despite being a 2x18650 flashlight is fairly compact and relatively light. I found a new one on sale for 50 euros.
The lowest output is 100 lumens though so you'll need something smaller for general use or longer runtimes. The MT lights are cheap and can find good deals too: you could possibly score both an MT25 and MT40 spending less than 100 dollars all-together!

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Aren't those ZLs more of a floody light?

Somewhat, but the SC600 has nice throw to it whereas the SC52 is pretty floody. I use diffuser film over my H600wII and it still has decent throw for camping/hiking.

REV666

Newly Enlightened
Yeah this will be more for SAR than anything, in camp its only going to be used to check trees/bumps in the night.

Also, I never hike. so UL isnt a concern, but fit on a belt or on a pack is.

Ill do some research whilst futzing around today and check those lights out!

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were camping, it would be my Tk75vn for the big lighting, and either my Mx25l3vn, or x3vn on my belt. I also agree with the d40a as its a very good light using AA cells and has nice throw. (to be honest, I think we'd all be taking various lights lol. ) just giving some options to the op to take a look at.

The Mx25l3vn is a good middle ground for size, flood throw, and is just a very well rounded light. If i had to pick one, that would be it for camping.

For the throw you need, the tk75 would be another balanced light with more throw for your application.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Armytek Barracuda. Doesn't have strobe/SOS, but you might like it.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has no light modes but a Malkoff Hound Dog might be an option. It can be configured to take a different array of batteries depending on the body selected which can give you the balance between runtime and compactness, for example 18500x2, 16340x3, cr123x3 with the MD3 tube or 18650x2, cr123x4 with the MD4 tube. It's bight, floody, has good throw, and comes with a low/high ring built into the head. They get good reviews here on CPF although it will be running you more the $100, probably $150.

tonkem

Enlightened
The forthcoming Olight SR52 will likely meet the SAR need in a compact 3 x 18650 package. But the TK75 would be the best all around, perhaps.

Check out some videos of it, and decide if the size is what you are wanting for SAR and how much throw you need.

Chenery88

Newly Enlightened
Do you have access to charging facilities? If so the +1 to the SR52 or look at the Eagletac G, S or M series? Am awaiting the SX25L2.... 400m throw and 3 hour runtime on high..7 hours medium (still 500+ lumens), 44 hours at 100 lumens....or 200 hours at 10 lumens....with built in charger if you have 12v car socket to top it up....or GX25L2 runs on 18650....less throw n run times vs SX....Also you have the option of a turbo head and diffuser...and have access to SOS modes etc..

Latest posts