Hey, looking for a new EDC.

jbb421

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone I lost my Eagletac D25LC2 (clicky) with a CREE XM-L U2 Led, it was great for edc its about as big as I want to go on an edc for reference, But I wished it had more durability a little more throw, and a lower moonlight setting. I also work on a farm during the week and mechanic/mud race on the weekends if this helps any.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
__X__Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
__X__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

_X___I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_X___I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
X18650 I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_X___30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
__X__3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

__X__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
__X__I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
__X__I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
__X__Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

lintonindy

Newly Enlightened
You had mentioned that you were after a little more throw. The somewhat custom version of the D25LC2 that I bought has more throw, due to the XP-G2 emitter being used with the XM-L(2) driver. This version also seemed more sturdy and less finicky than my other Eagletac lights. The tint is great and the throw is very good for a light this size. This is the one I bought from Illumination Gear. (An approved CPF vendor)

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

EagleTac D25LC2 CUSTOM XP-G2

They have some CPF discounts in the CPFM Marketplace if you look around. The service was great and I highly recommend the light. I have since moved to the smaller 1 x RCR123 (16340) format for my EDC light on most days. When I do go with a 1 x 18650 light it is between this light and a TX25 if I have a little more room in my pocket. I can't recommend this light enough if you need some serious lumens and throw. I don't think there is a sturdier alternative with more throw, same 1 x 18650 configuration, and same size or smaller. If there is, I would be interested as well.

Last but not least is the request for a lower low. While I find the low a nice usable low on the custom D25LC2 it could also be lower. Make sure you have the low mode activated with the turning of the head to make it go in to a lower low mode. I have changed my EDC requirements personally to an infinitely controllable light (V11R and RRT-01) due to my low lumen needs. These lights don't use a high capacity 18650 and definitely don't have the throw you are after but do check the smaller light and lower low boxes on your list.

Maybe a smaller 16340 light for your pocket (V11R, D25C, or RRT-01) and a 1/2/3/4 x 18650 light with more throw in your bag could be a good option for you. This is how I roll. Or, a L3 L10 light with a nichia 219 LED, for all of your low light needs and a 1 x 18650 light when you need the throw. I also use this setup sometimes as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight_Light

Enlightened
I would recommend the ThruNite TN12 (on sale now for $40). I believe it meets most of your criteria.

Specification:
- Cree XM-L U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
- Uses two 3V CR123A batteries (Lithium) or one 18650 rechargeable battery (Li-ion)
- 126mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter)
- 66gram weight (excluding batteries)
- Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
- Cooper base plate for more efficient heatsinking
- Max output: 705 lumen with more than 1 hours for 2 Cr123A Max runtime:695 Hours
- Firefly: 0.09lumen. 695 hours. low: 30 lumen:65 hours. mid: 95 lumen: 9 hours. max output: 705 lumen. 72 minutes. strobe: 705 lumen. 140 minutes
- Max beam distance:205m
- Peak beam intensity:19536cd
- Impact resistance:1.2m
· Waterproof to IPX-8 standard
· Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation patent
· Temperature control current to avoid the over heat on the surface and protect the driver to be damaged
· Slip-resistant body design
· Removable Stainless steel clips
· Tactical tail switch with momentary-on function
· Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
· Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
· Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
Operation:
Power on/off switch Press the push button half way for momentary on. Press the bush button completely (click) to turn on the flashlights.
The lights will stay on until the push button is pressed fully to turn off.
Mode switch To switch functions: Loosen and tighten the head for next stage From Firefly. Low mid light and strobe.
The TN12 has a safety circuit to protect the driver and the LED from overheating.

lintonindy

Newly Enlightened
Something is not jiving to me with those specs.

Peak beam intensity of 19,536cd and a max beam distance of only 205m, a orange peel reflector, in addition to with reports of this light barely out throwing a ZL SC600. I don't think this light would satisfy the OP's need for additional throw. The beam intensity numbers posted suggest an awesome thrower for a light this size. The light I suggested, the D25LC2 with the XP-G2 emitter and XM-L(2) driver is only rated at about 13,000cd, which I thought was absolutely phenomenal for a light and reflector this size. If the peak beam intensity of the Thrunite is true then this a true beast!

I do however think this is a nice light, and checks off his other requirements he is looking for. Good Recommendation Knight Light!

Last edited:

Knight_Light

Enlightened
Something is not jiving to me with those specs.

Peak beam intensity of 19,536cd and a max beam distance of only 205m, a orange peel reflector, in addition to with reports of this light barely out throwing a ZL SC600. I don't think this light would satisfy the OP's need for additional throw. The beam intensity numbers posted suggest an awesome thrower for a light this size. The light I suggested, the D25LC2 with the XP-G2 emitter and XM-L(2) driver is only rated at about 13,000cd, which I thought was absolutely phenomenal for a light and reflector this size. If the peak beam intensity of the Thrunite is true then this a true beast!

I do however think this is a nice light, and checks off his other requirements he is looking for. Good Recommendation Knight Light!
I agree the numbers do seem to be overinflated. I basically copied and posted from the manufacturer website since linking to manufacturer websites panics some of the admin :) Here is the review of the light by one of the forum members that substantiates what you're saying. I have used this light and it is a good light and I do think it would fit the parameters for the OP. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...UNTIMES-VIDEO-BEAMSHOTS&highlight=tn12+review

Latest posts