HID flashlights? (not weird, expensive, anti-aircraft lights)

PolarLi

Enlightened

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened
I agree with NoNotAgain, HID lights are alive and well, if not for everyone. They are widely sold to police departments, industrial operations, power plants, mines, search and rescue, anything that requires long range illumination. I can't comment about China knockoffs but the Polarion lights are well made products with available spare parts, manuals, batteries, etc. I think it's the same with US made lights.

For walking your dog, HID are overkill. For inspecting rail roads or utility lines, I can't see LED being of any help. It's all about matching the need to the light. I don't see LEDs every reaching the same flux and throw with a reasonable form factor.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Except for the "weird hobbyist stuff" as you put it, HID has been surpassed by advancing LED tech over the past few years, thus the following are all discontinued (but might be found second-hand) ...

• Macs MiniHID (I have one of these)

• Fire-Foxes (several runs, but I have an FF-III)

• JiL Lite EZNite (I want one)

I am with the OP, curious about HID in a smaller flashlight format. I am probably overly swayed by how attractive the host is, and among the options listed in this thread, you listed the most attractive. Among these, Macs MiniHID is really the only one I am interested in. There are not many of these, but there have been sales threads before.

Since you have one, perhaps you can enlighten me.

How bright is that thing?
What is its expected runtime?
What is the availability and cost of replacing the Solarc 10W lamp and ballast (if necessary)?
How long will that lamp survive?
(before I post in WTB) How much do you want for it? :devil: (PM me if you can part with it)
If it is not to be... what is recommended in LED that blows it away in brightness/throw in a similarly attractive format host? Any single LED setups that are thousands of lumens? (gave away my BLF boxed 18650 stainless & 14500 copper lights... did not impress me... especially hated was the blue LED in tailcap that cannot be turned off... my hands are not skilled enough to remove such a thing)

thx archimedes, peace to your nations.

Last edited:

broadgage

Enlightened
IMHO, HID portable lighting is a dying technology.
By no means dead yet, but dying, yes.

LEDs are already the equal of many smaller HIDs and are still improving, HID is unlikely to improve much because limited demand means that no significant research into improvements can be justified.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
LEDs are already the equal of many smaller HIDs and are still improving, HID is unlikely to improve much because limited demand means that no significant research into improvements can be justified.

That has been made clear earlier in the thread. What is overlooked is the number of emitters required to equal HID output. I know there are single LED's that can put out even more lumens than HID, but are there any flashlights (portable discrete hand carried tools) available that utilize them? I am only aware of flashlights that equal or best HIDs requiring multiple emitters, sometimes what seems like an absurd amount of emitters. I can accept that some appreciate these solutions, but the true equal to HID in LED will be with a single emitter. Those emitters exist. Have they found their way into any commercially available flashlights?

Dynacolt_2

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the original MiniHIDs coupled with burnt_retinas's 123a regulator and it's still my favourite light to show off a pencil beam.
Don't worry that it's using a stock Mag head and standard-sized reflector - the tiny point-source gives it an incredibly tight focussed beam light a lightsaber, and all in a form factor shorter than a stock 2D Mag. HID still holds its own for sure in some aspects :)

Dave.

Latest posts