My HID Collection...

StreamLite1Millions.jpg

One with 3.5" reflector...

StreamLite1Million3.jpg

One with 1" reflector -- YES HID...

StreamLite1Million1inHID.jpg

Close Up of the 1"...

StreamLite1Million1inHIDCloseUp.jpg

Still working and going strong :rock: ...

StreamLite1MillionON.jpg

These produce a VERY tight almost pin-point beam. This picture is of the beam shot. The hanging plate is 7" in diameter and the camera and HID are approximately 51' away. The hot spot is actually smaller then the plate. (I knew someone was going to ask for a beam shot)...

BeamShot7in51ft.jpg

My best guess is that these were made for only a few years back in the 1980's and maybe discontinued around 1985. The asking price then was around $1500.00. Does anyone know more about these to update me and others here? :popcorn:

I just wanted to share.

Njoy...

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting..

Please can you make some more shots, cose-ups of reflector and bulbs.

Regards,

Ra.

qarawol

Enlightened
I guess I forgot to mention that these are actual Streamlights...

NamePlate.jpg

And the pictures of the lamp assembly as requested...

3.5" reflector...

3inCloseUp.jpg

3.5" Super Close...

3inSuperCloseUp.jpg

1" reflector...

1inCloseUp.jpg

1" Super Close. The arc strikes between the round ball you see in the center and the pin that points to it. Aprox 1/8" gap...

1inSuperCloseUp.jpg

I don't have or know anyone near me that has a modern HID to compare it to. I missed out on the "LA Get Together" this month due to illness and I wanted to compare it then.

Njoy...

Last edited:

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
qarawol said:
I guess I forgot to mention that this is an actual Streamlight...

NamePlate.jpg

WOW look at that current draw! Do you happen to know what wattage lamps they are? What kind of battery does it use?

larryk

Enlightened
I saw one of those on Ebay about 2 years ago. I called Streamlight to try and gather more info on the light, but Streamlight had no knowledge of it.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics..

I'm wondering what type of arc-lamp it is: Metal-halide or short-arc (Xenon-)

The 1" looks lik a "sealed beam" type with enclosed reflector..

Very interesting indeed, never saw systems like that before !!

Don't throw them away !!

Regards,

Ra.

qarawol

Enlightened
I do remember in the Streamlight catalog back in these days, it was advertised as a Short Xenon Arc Lamp and the saying for this HID was "Harness The Power Of The SUN". Anyone remember that?

They both are sealed lamps. The entire reflector/glass is one piece.

I always knew about the 3.5" reflector and the 1" one stumped me when I first saw it. I have to take a picture of that beam shot and show it.

My first post here on CPF was in Jan 2004 asking for a replacement lamp for this monster in case the ones I have stop working.

Njoy...

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
Yes, short arc Xenon. I used to have a one-page marketing sheet for one. I lusted after one but the price was way too high for my income.
I think it was marketed in the same league as the Maxabeam, but the Maxabeam had electronic focus and got on TV more. It was probably a "war on drugs" light. No local dealers stocked it so I couldn't even see one in action.

qarawol

Enlightened
Hi Scott,

I don't remember the Maxabeam being made back then - You do?

I too remember the price back then and I wanted to save all my pennies just to get one. I never saved enough so I just bought the Streamlight SL15, SL20 and SL35's (not the new X's) back then and still have them.

I have called Streamlight in the past and asked for for more info and they do remember it, though it was a long time ago and there is no service or parts available anymore.

I don't know HID's except for mine and there is no markings on the lamps assembly so I have no idea on the wattage. Is there a way to tell via dimensions of the arc tube? I have a spare lamp with a broken tab that I can't use, so I can do rough measurements on that if needed. I too would like to know the wattage.

Or if this helps - I took some amp readings and at first strike it draws 11.25 amps (12vdc) then steadily drops to around 9.75 amps after two minutes. I stopped at two min.

As for the batteries... I replaced the tall pack around two yeas ago and I remember it being two 6volt sealed lead acid type in series. I forgot the amp rating of the batttery. The battery sits in the case, one on top of the other, and is covered by a piece of pleather (plastic/cloth combo looking leather) that is screwed in place and the wall wart charger and wiring is stored on top of it. I am too lazy to unscrew the cover, unplug the wiring, remove the external connector and drop the batteries out... maybe one day.

I'm glad to hear some still know about the Streamlite 1 Million - keep the info coming.

Njoy...

Scott Packard said:
Yes, short arc Xenon. I used to have a one-page marketing sheet for one. I lusted after one but the price was way too high for my income.
I think it was marketed in the same league as the Maxabeam, but the Maxabeam had electronic focus and got on TV more. It was probably a "war on drugs" light. No local dealers stocked it so I couldn't even see one in action.

Last edited: