Household AC interferes with AM radio?

Stefan

Enlightened
Is there any off chance the station you are trying to tune into has a website that you can stream audio off of their site? Just a thought....

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
PB,
My tent mate Manny just had a problem with crap on his Short Wave radio.

Seems he was picking up a rythmic thumping across many bands.

The problem went away when another tent mate's tv was turned on.

My guess is he was receiveing the multiplex signal that samples the 'on / off' switch in the TVn.

Fortunatly Manny has access to the power switches that control voltage to the tv, so he can kill the unit when something interesting comes on the radio.

Another thing to try.
Later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone around the world for their responses. Many good suggestions were made. Working the laziness factor into it, I found I could recieve my stations by using battery power and placing the radio on a window that is farthest away from... everything else. It's in a good spot, so I'm pleased.

By all means, keep this thread open; I've really learned quite a bit!

Another question, then, on the same topic: How can I improve AM radio reception inside an office building?

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
PB,
Depending on how much effort your want to expend, this is a project I worked out some time back.

In Northern VA local FM programing is rather poor. I made a small FM stereo transmitter and wide band rf amplifier combination, then fed it with my MP3 player. This gizmo had a range of about two blocks.

I could just as easly fed it with a portable AM radio.

Modern offices are awful for AM rececption. Forget it unless the staton you want to get has it's transmitting antenna on the next lot over.

Much luck
Jack in Iraq