How can I build a Mag tail switch?

A123Powered

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading the forums for a few weeks, and have seen plenty of very cool Maglite mods with tail switches.

I have a couple C and D hosts sitting around waiting for parts, and had an idea to make a tailswitch for one of them. The problem is, there are few decent switches out there that can handle the current, or the have the proper feel.

I would like to know if anyone out there would care to share how these are built? Or what switch is typically used in them?

I would also like to know if anyone has heard of using a cut down stock Mag C switch in a C or D host tailcap, and could maybe point me to a how-to or a thread describing the process? That is how I am planning to make a tailswitch for my D host. If there is no such thread, I will post my build pics here if successful.

The eventual use for the switch will be in a Mag85 4 C, or possibly a P7 shortie (maybe using a C host), DD from a single A123 cell.

Thanks.

I just tried the insert from a D switch in a C tailcap and it looks like a near perfect fit!

Last edited:

plasmaman

Enlightened
This is what you need:
tailswitchparts.jpg

The switch is a judco
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/962183-switch-pb-spst-14vdc-10a-40-4525-00.html

The spring is hard to find - it was for me anyway!

The circlips are easy - but NB they are different diameters. The contact board and switch retaining flange are simple to make.

Nice idea with the D switch insert, but tricky to mount in the tailcap and too tall??

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
plasmaman,

You should sell a few of those nifty parts kits you have there! That contact board and switch retaining flange look like they take tools to create that most DIY don't have. I'd be in for at least two parts kits :poke:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
.....That contact board and switch retaining flange look like they take tools to create that most DIY don't have......
Although it's not quite as "finished" a job as the work above, here's some pix of a very similar DIY tail switch I built with just a soldering iron, a drill, and a dremel tool. The board is just press fit into the groove in the tailcap. And the switch is the same although I got mine from BatterySpace.com.

warx23

Enlightened
count me in..

seriously why doesn't someone make a kit like this. Most of us can drill a hole and assemble parts.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
That kit was developed by cmac. It was a very cost effective way of providing tailcap switch.

Other options (including mine) was way more costly to produce.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
I have two Mag85's that use the original switch and the KIU mod. They seem to be holding up okay.

A shorty always looks cool but it would require machining at both ends and a custom bulb holder. I haven't seen anyone here offer those particular services alone. I looked into doing this locally but found the total costs to be prohibitive. I ended up having Mac build me a complete package. :shrug:

A123Powered

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for the info plasmaman and DonShock, it is exactly what I have been looking for. Those switches look very finished and are probably beyond the capabilities of the tools I have on hand.

plasmaman, I assume that the spring clips will require two grooves cut on the inside of the cap so they can retain the assembly?

I have been looking over the Mag D insert and it looks like a good bet that it will work for a tailswitch. It can be cut down a little and should easily fit in a C cap, but I am not sure about the D cap. The mag switches are only about $5 online so it is worth a shot. I would probably just retain it with some glue or epoxy.

Flash Harry, finding somebody who will cut down a mag does look like a challenge, however If I need to I can kludge something together (I think I could get away with the head fixed to the body if necessary). None of the lights I have done so far are pretty, but they all work (so far).

A123Powered

Newly Enlightened
Mirage_Man did some great cutdown jobs for me a while back. You might see if he's still doing that service.

Thanks for the tip. Mirage_Man's work looks amazing! I think I am going to hack something together first on the cheap, and then if it turns out well, maybe sink some cash into getting it done right.

I took the leap and started cutting my switch, then I got to the point of no return. The good news is that I think it will fit, but I have yet to figure how I will make the battery connection.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap mod looks so good, I don't think it will matter if it works or not! :cool:

Nice photo hosting site too. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip DonShock. I know it sounds weird but I had my heart set on a Mag-twistie at one point. :sigh:

A123Powered

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I am hoping to get it finished this weekend, but chances are it won't end up looking pretty on the inside (but it will work I think). The tailspring will be a challenge.

Latest posts