how does everyone get to work?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't work, but I use an electric wheelchair for all trips I make outside the home.

fleet2.jpg

It's that red one on the left in this photograph.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I drive to work in my filthy Ranger - about a 41 mile round-trip.

S Central to W LBJ to S Stemmons to S Loop 12 to E Northwest Highway... which makes sense to a Dallas local and not much anyone else.

I live too far from work and need to move closer. Luckily, I work afternoons/evenings, so there's little traffic to speak of during my commute.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ride my recumbent bicycle to work everyday. When it is dark, my BB500 R2H minimag helmet light coupled with my MM+ R2H 2D Mag frame light lights up the road and makes me VERY noticable.

Gotta get off my butt and complete building the nFlex (8AA) Mag WX1S one of these days.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
In some previous jobs I have either ridden a bike to work or walked. But now I am a car commuter. 18 miles each way on a jammed freeway. No practical public transit alternative that wouldn't add hours each day to the trip. My community (Raleigh, NC, USA) is not well designed for anything other than a personal automobile.

On the bright side, we are upgrading our family fleet today and I will be getting rid of an 18 mpg car and begin driving a 30 mpg car. Maybe the next purchase will be a hybrid. Maybe someday long after that, a BEV.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I live in a rural area and in the summer, I take a 6 km. shortcut to work on my bike (partially off-road). It takes between 15 and 20 minutes, but I don't push it; I don't want to be too sweaty when I get to work. The season lasts about 5 1/2 months; otherwise, it's raining, too cold or narrow, snow-covered roads or roads with snow banks on each side, making it unsafe to share the road with cars.

It's usually night when I return home and I use an Elektro Lumens ElektroStar 1 Watt Luxeon headlamp clamped to my bike's handlebars as a headlight -- I run it on 4 rechargeable NiMH AA cells. Very functional since it's a rural area with little or no electrical lighting for most of the route.

In the winter, I have to take a longer route, about 9 km. on three different country roads, with 1 stoplight. Takes about 10 - 15 minutes depending on traffic and weather. I drive a somewhat cranky 1996 Plymouth Voyager van.

Other choices include walking (cold, slow and impractical in winter) or taxi (too expensive). Public transportation covers only one segment of the route.

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
since i live about... 10 blocks from the train station, i'll usually take my skateboard to and from the station. people at work used to look at me strange, and wonder why i'm carrying a board onto the elevator, but now they've gotten used to me.

when it rains, it's back to the car though.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Re: Who rides to work?

I drive 1.2 miles yes I could walk it but I pick up my son after work 5 or so miles yes I could walk that but the Piggyback ride home might due me in after 20 or so feet.
I love Eric big time.Would not be good if I croaked while taking him home.
Topper

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

I take the bus or train into work. Too far to walk and no parking around building for cars.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Work is my beastly 1990 F350 Diesel with a Knapheide Service Body.

So I walk out to it!

If EVER there was a city built with NO regards to good public transit, Houston is IT! Oh but we built a silly little train. It runs basically from the old Astrodome to the Ballpark. Really helps...

A bus would take two or three times as long as a car.

I need the contents of the truck in any case!

Glenn

Enlightened

I do not work......RETIRED !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Glenn

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

my old 88 grand am with the w41 HO quad four(less than 5000 miles on the remanufacured powertrain)

gets me any where I want to go.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Until I got a car (which has since died) I was walking the 6 miles to and from work. If I was running late, I'd take the bus. Right now, I walk to the arms room for weapons draw and guardmount, the jump in the Surburban to ride/drive to the gate. When I get back home, I'll have to figure out a way to get around. I want a diesel Volvo, but finding one is pretty difficult.

DarkLight

Enlightened
bah bikes have same rights as cars when they pay for taxes, license plates and insurance...

I hate being stuck in a no passing zone behind some guy riding 10mph on bike running on the double yellow line..

why cant you ride on the shoulder?