How does SL 4AA 7LED output compare to X5?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was my concern, too. Personally, I've decided to get away from 123s, myself, except for my E2e/KL1. AAs and rechargeables pretty much have me covered, now.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by Wits' End:
Something that impresses me about the SL4AA7LED (aside form its carefully maket-researched name) is the lifetime warranty. I have several C Crane/tek lights and 2 Eternalights both w/ lifetime warranties. With what my family puts them through they hold up well but I have had replacements of both. The next light I am likely to buy will be the SL4AA7LED (just rolls off the tongue).
I have 3 CMG Infinities/Ultras haven't had to replace those, yet.
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just curious - how'd you manage to kill a Tek? I have a Tek-7. I'm now wondering if there's something I should avoid doing to it!?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my Inova X5T and I can say they are a definite improvement over the original version. I believe everyone who says the Streamlight polypro 7 LED is brighter but as a gift to someone who doesn't know the difference, the X5 blows it away in esthetics and coolness factor.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Albany Tom asked---Just curious - how'd you manage to kill a Tek? I have a Tek-7. I'm now wondering if there's something I should avoid doing to it!?---
Don't let 4 of them be used by 8 or more children doing chores on a non-electric farmstead
grin.gif
Actually C Crane asked how we were using them as they have had very few returns and I think we have had about 6. As I read the email I was stunned...We use them as flashlights but alot more than most people. So my guess is most people will not break them in "normal" use.--One light had been used mostly with the 'mouth' hold. It wore through and was quite ugly inside.--
I think we will be switching over to CMG Ultras for our chore lights, won't drop, easy on batteries, bullet proof. But a brighter light is needed now and then, thus the eselfouraeaeseveneleedee (yes much more tripping on the tongue).
Hope that helps Albany Tom, Just don't do anything a group of farm children would do
smile.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wits' End,
I also have some Tek-7 lights, and am interested in how yours died. By the way C.Crane has replaced the Tek-7 with an improved version, the Tek-6 with electronic power supply. I'm guessing the clear plastic head broke, but I'm probably wrong. I wonder if the SL 3 C cell light at half the price would be more rugged.

I also have the CMG infinity ultra and am working on methods to kill it. One scheme involves an Abrams tank. The other requires an army A-10 with the one inch canon that fires rounds of spent uranium fuel.

And you guys with the SL4AA7LED must have bought the abbreviated name version. I'm sure mine also has propolymer in there too.

Edited-- Okay Wit's End, I see your post. You beat me by three minutes. If you are holding a Tek-7 in your mouth, you must have good teeth. Ever consider a headlamp, or a nite-ize headband?

rlhess

Enlightened
I am giving a SL4AA7LED and a UKE 4AA Xenon to my brother-in-law, plus one of the 1-D Xenon strobes.

My 8- and 9-year old boys are getting (each) and Arc AAA LE and a SL Septor headlamp.

I have a run-time chart for the SL4AA7LED on my Web page...see link in sig.

Cheers,

Richard

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
Just received 4 SL Clipmates and a SL 7LED to give as X-mas presents.

To my surprise the Clipmate on fresh AAAs gives my X5`s a very close run for the money. The X5 is just whiter, but not really any more light than the clipmate.

Eric

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wit's End,
Sorry for my confusion. I wonder how many posts I need to make before I get one right. I also have a C.Crane (tektite) 2 LED with 3 AA cells. Someone here mentioned his had holes for two more Nichias, and so he put two more in. Mine also had the holes, I put them in, and I now have a 4 LED. And I like it much better. Like all the AA lights, it fits perfectly in the Nite-Ize headband.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Innova X5T wins in the Coolness factor, and for EDC. Way cool looking, lightweight (because of the lithium batteries), bright enough, 20 hour run time, and not too expensive compared to SureFires or ARC LS's.

The Innova X5T has become my 2nd EDC light, along with my ARC AAA. (I can't believe that I now carry 2 lights every day!)

However, the Streamlight 4aa, 7 LED light is a light that I might grab when I know that I MAY need a light. Fits in the pocket easy, more light than the Innova X5T, uses cheaper AA batteries, and has a longer run time.

Now, the Streamlight 3C, 10 LED light is a good example of a light that I would grab when I KNOW that I am going to need a light! While not quite as bright as the brightest Luxeon Stars, it is way bright, relatively inexpensive, a very WIDE field of light, has a very LONG run time (of course, with diminishing brightness), and suprisingly easy to carry.

The Streamlight 3C, 10 LED light is probably the closest thing to the ONE light that I would want with me, with fresh batteries, if stranded on a deserted island.

Then again . . . maybe some of those Budweiser models, and an unlimited supply of beer might be a better choice!!!

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
himmm those streamlights look interesting

[ sl4AA7led and the 3 led clip-on just sparked my interest--- ]

anybody know of any retail stores that carry them?

thanks

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The 4AALED's strong point is its wide field coupled with very good brightness. It is brighter than my Inovas, but my Badboy 400's and 500's, and six of my ARC SLS's significantly out throw it, but with narrower beams.

For good brightness over an unusually wide field it is excellent. I personally would have given up several degrees of dispersion for a further brightness increase.

Although it is one of the largest and heaviest 4AA's it has a first rate tail clicky which is slightly awkward for thumb placement. Again, my personal preference would have been for a body clicky like the superb one on the new UK 4AA. .

Summing up, this is a well thought out light that provides as much or more total output as some luxeons. Despite having a shorter throw than many of them, and despite the use of the "tactical position" mandated by its slightly awkwardly placed but excellent tailswitch, the light is sturdily built and comfortably shaped and projects a very wide, bright beam

Brightnorm

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again, everybody!
I got my (hehe, like now I want to keep all ten of them to myself) SLs today, and broke out a black one to try out. Kind of ugly. It's not as attractive as, say, a Tec40, and the pictures I've seen online-and on the box-look different from the actual light.
I really like the output and the beam, though. I wasn't impressed trying it out in the daytime, or anywhere there was a decent amount of light. But when it got dark tonight...whoa.
It lit up a storeroom that's ~8'x24'. For that matter, it pretty much lights up the entire inside of a 84' boxcar. I used it to light my way when I was walking out to get in a loader to push some railcars with, while taking off the brakes, splitting up the cars, and getting fuel. While a lot bigger and clunkier, it's actually better for getting around with than my KL1, which stayed in its pouch all night. I tried it alongside a Tec40, E2e/KL1, Inretech LS adapter for a 2AA Mag, and a Rayovac 2D Industrial. No comparison. While it doesn't have the throw of the KL1 or incandescents, the SL4AA puts out more usable close range light than any of them.
Wish it were a little smaller. If it were the same size as a Tec40, it would be perfect (if it were the same size as the MiniMag it would be more than perfect!). That little bit of extra length and bulk really makes a difference when you cram it in a rear pocket. Tonight I was wearing pants with cargo pockets, and the SL4AA7LED rode in one of those, attached to a belt loop with one of those Chisco lanyards that BG sells. I don't know how I would carry it, otherwise, and it won't replace my E2e/KL1 for a work or EDC light, but it would be great for camping, and around the house, to keep in the car in case of a breakdown or flat...basically everything I was hoping for.
Very happy with the light, overall
cool.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anyone who does a search, and happens upon this thread, I've answered my own question, now
smile.gif

Finally got some beamshots that were representative of what I actually see in person.
Fresh batteries all around for the purpose of the pic. SF123s for the KL1 and X5, Duracell AAs in the SL, and Energizer lithium AAs for the Inretech adaptor (I honestly cannot tell any difference between lithiums and alkalines in it, though).
Left to right: SF KL1 on an E2e, Inretech white LS adaptor on a 2AA Mini-Mag, original X5, and SL4AA7LED.
fcddb16b.jpg

The X5s beam has a rough circle around it, because it blended in with that of the SL4AA, and they are almost identical in color. Shots are from 4 ft, and what they can't show is the width of the SL4AAs beam, which instantly turned it into my favorite LED for use around the house and at work.
I actually went out and bought someone another Christmas present at the last minute so I could keep a spare! I guess that's bad
blush.gif

StuU

Enlightened
I would agree on the quality of the SL74AA beam. Very wide and useful. Also, I like the way the light sits in my hand and in my pocket. However, the way this thing heats up with fresh AAs is a little scary...only takes a minute to feel warm to the hand. I finally decided to replace one cell with a dummy cell. The light is still quite bright and doesn't seem to heat up to any noticeable extent. This should also improve the rather short battery life.

Latest posts