How flashlights are made on YouTube

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Yaagh - exposed punches with no guard cages, crankshafts with no guards - oh yeah, those clips are OLD - OSHA would be screaming. Things like that switch assemply could be open air, BUT they would have to have "2 hand" deadman switches

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really would love to see an up to date vid from Surefire or Fenix on how most of their models are made. I think it would be very interesting.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Some of what you say is right, but don't count on all of it. I used to work for GM just a few short years ago, when OSHA was in full swing. There were plenty of machines, particularly presses, that had no guards and no 2 hand switches.

I think the crankshafts and mechanisms would be shielded, but not the contact areas for the parts.

Besides, there were NO safety shields in place for the most dangerous things in the plant, humans!

KC2IXE said:
Yaagh - exposed punches with no guard cages, crankshafts with no guards - oh yeah, those clips are OLD - OSHA would be screaming. Things like that switch assemply could be open air, BUT they would have to have "2 hand" deadman switches

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Even though it is old manufacturing technology, it's often informative for those of us with home shops to see how it was done before the advent of expensive computerized / robotic machines.

I get good ideas from watching these videos, as well as 'how it's made' and similar shows.

Daniel

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like this one on the left?
IMG_0111-1.jpg

Back on the truck.
IMG_0115-1.jpg

400k 5 megapixel version of pic #1

huge 400 kilobyte version of pic #2