How is the Rebel Fenix P2D?

Tiny86

Newly Enlightened
Livermore, In the people's republic of CA
I have been looking for a single cell 123A light. I think I am going to go with the P2D Luxeon Rebel. How is it? Is the premo Q5 version leaps and bounds better? I just wanted to make sure before I order it.
Also will it run on on 123As or dose need rechargeables to really perform?
Thanks.

WASF

Newly Enlightened
The P2D rebel 100 is one of my best lights. It seems not as bright as Q5 but mostly because of the tint. The warmer tint is much better for the outdoor. The beam is nicer than Q5, no ring. There is or was some talking about problems with the rebel . But mine is as great as it could be.
I trust my P2D rebel much.:cool::D
Be well WASF

In my opinion, this light is practically flawless for an EDC light for the normal person that wants to carry a light in their front pocket, and doesn't need the use of rechargeable batteries. With its total ease of operation, perfect size, light weight, flat regulation, beautiful beam shape, and tint the P2D Rebel 100 is a light that is superior to its cost, and would be perfection if it had some knurling.

kurni

Enlightened
It's my faithful EDC; not as bright as Q5, but theoretically speaking it's more efficient due to low Vf of RB100.

I use AW LiFePO4; 3.2V open voltage; not sure how many V under load. It maintains low, med, high & turbo setting.

I always use a diffuser tho; only occasionally without it when I need the throw. It's made of the diffusing material of an old LCD.

Cheers,
Kurni

nzbazza

Enlightened
I EDC one. 'Nuff said.

Mine has the best tint and beam shape I have ever seen from a LED torch.

Bronco

Enlightened
I've got a pre-recall RB100 in my P3D and I absolutely love it. The warmish white tint is one of the best I've seen in an LED, and the light is exceedingly bright (though, IIRC, Fenix may not drive the emitters quite so hard in the single cell lights).

Flic

Enlightened
I agree with the comments above. I really love my P2D Rb100. These are getting hard to find. Just remember that these were available with either a Rebel 80 or Premium Rebel 100. I'd make sure to get the Rb100 which has output that is ever so close to the Q5 (the Rb80 was closer to a P4 in output - still a good light though).

big beam

Enlightened
I EDC a P2D also.The tint is the big thing with R100's,it's perfect IMO.I also have 2 P2D's with the Q2 emitter warm also but the beam is better with the R100.I'm thinking of getting another R100 from lighthound but at 64.00 shipped it may have to wait.
DON

BTW lighthound has the natral finish,it's suposed to be a more robust finish.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
I also EDC the P2D Rebel 100 and bought it specifically because of the warm tint after owning the previous Cree. Once I got a look at the Q5 I decided to stick with the R100 because although the Q5 is brighter, the R100 looks more pleasing to the eye, especially outdoors. I cannot see myself changing this light for a long time to come. Small, simple, lovely beam, bright enough for all my small torch requirements... love it.
:thumbsup:

sonofjesse

Newly Enlightened
I got one to replaced the normal P2D and its great so far. I love the size for an EDC and I use it quite often and the sale price makes it a no brainer.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Rebel 100 P2D. I love its warm tint and beam that is free of artificacts. In fact, I bought a second one as a backup, but have had no trouble with my first one.

If you are buying from Lighthound, I would caution you about the lights he may still have in the natural finish. The natural finish lights he has are earlier lights that have a brief flashing issue every time you change the light intensity level. While this doesn't otherwise affect the way the light works, you might find it annoying. The black lights he carries have no problems.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
My P2DR100 Nat was my primary EDC for almost a year until I started EDCing a Nightcore EX10 a couple weeks ago. I agree that the P2DR100 has the best LED tint I have ever experienced - it is almost incan like. I still love that light and think it has one of the best UIs of any EDC out there. I love the fact that I can turn it on in either hi or low with one click and that the strobe is a soft push away in hi (turbo).

That said, the low is still quite bright (bright enough that I wouldn't use it in places like movie theaters or reading maps), so the EX10 has taken its place even though it's tint is nowhere NEAR as nice.

I highly recommend the P2DR100. Especially if you don't really need a low low.

They work great on LiFePO4 and the Tenergy 3V nominal Li-Ion rechargeables.

-Pete

jag-engr

Enlightened
Let me chime in for the Fenix P2D RB100, as well!

Like everyone says, the light quality is the best I've ever seen. The RB100 is not quite as bright as a Cree Q5, but you couldn't tell unless you held them side-by-side. In my opinion, the Rebel give you more useable light. The Rebel renders colors well, giving better depth perception. To my eyes, the Rebel has better throw, as well.

There is only one problem with the Rebel: When you switch it on in low mode, it flashes to turbo for a split second. This has never bothered me, even with night-adjusted vision. The flash is quick enough that your eyes shouldn't adjusted to it.

I really wish that 4sevens had gone with Rebel emitters for the EX10 & D10. I understand that they have been discontinued, though.:sigh:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I own both a P2D R100 and P2D Q5, I recommend the Rebel for outdoor use; its warm tint is ideal for bringing out nature's yellows and greens, and looks much more natural than the Cree's otherworldly cold tint. However the Q5 is better for just about everything else, especially indoor and urban applications, where the Rebel looks like any other warm incandescent and doesn't stand out.

tamattack

Newly Enlightened
Another satisfied P2D RB100 owner. It's an almost perfect EDC light.

What's this recall mentioned above?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flic

Enlightened
Nake, you are great!

Finally got my Lighthound order in at the super sale price. And P2D Rb80s are $39!!!

If anyone is still sitting on the fence, now's the time to buy.

PS

Tiny86, what did you decide???

Last edited: