How long do they last?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of questions for anyone who may know the answers.

I bought 4 Energizer AA Ni-mh batteries 2500mah with charger around a year ago for my camera. Recently I charge them, then place them in my camera bag. When I go to use them some are dead. This has happened a couple of times now. They seem to go dead within 2-4 weeks. Don't know the exact time frame. I'm not sure if it is just one battery that won't charge so both in the battery station isn't charging or not. It seems like only two out of the 4 are not charging or going dead. They have only been charged around 6-8 times in the last year.

How long should the charge last?

Second questions is the same. I have a non-button AW-14500 cell that I have no use for. Vendor replaced it with the button type that fits in my flashlight much better so I won't use the non-button cell.

How long will it last if not used?

Thanks. I'm still learning a lot about these rechargeables batteries.

Bill

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me guess... Energizer 2500 mAh? Your batteries have been hit by the dreaded high self-discharge rate. Common problem with those. Replace them by some Eneloop or Rayovac Hybrid and you'll be good for a few years! :)

I have a couple of questions for anyone who may know the answers.

I bought 4 Energizer AA Ni-mh batteries 2500mah with charger around a year ago for my camera. Recently I charge them, then place them in my camera bag. When I go to use them some are dead. This has happened a couple of times now. They seem to go dead within 2-4 weeks. Don't know the exact time frame. I'm not sure if it is just one battery that won't charge so both in the battery station isn't charging or not. It seems like only two out of the 4 are not charging or going dead. They have only been charged around 6-8 times in the last year.

How long should the charge last?

Second questions is the same. I have a non-button AW-14500 cell that I have no use for. Vendor replaced it with the button type that fits in my flashlight much better so I won't use the non-button cell.

How long will it last if not used?

Thanks. I'm still learning a lot about these rechargeables batteries.

Bill

Marduke

Flashaholic
Let me guess... Energizer 2500 mAh? Your batteries have been hit by the dreaded high self-discharge rate. Common problem with those. Replace them by some Eneloop or Rayovac Hybrid and you'll be good for a few years! :)

Also don't use that Energizer charger. You should look into getting a smart charger. That will GREATLY improve the life of your cells.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bill,

The 2500 mAh cells seem to have had a lot of problems with developing high self discharge rates. While we don't exactly know why, we have narrowed it down to something to do with usage, storage, charging, and/or discharging. People who avoid all of those activities usually don't seem to have this problem come up... :)

The best way to fix this problem is to replace those cells with cells that are not 2500 mAh.

If you discharge your Li-Ion cell to around 3.9 volts, slip it into a Zip Loc bag and store it in the refrigerator, it should last around 5 - 10 years.

Tom

arty

Enlightened
Which chargers are recommended for Hybrids? I have used an Energizer, a slow charger.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are using the wrong batts! The way You use them (charge, then put in bag till they are needed), You should get Eneelops or similar "low-discharge" Ni-Mhs.
You only get an advantage from higher rated cells (got the pun? ;) ), when You charge and immediately use them.

2500 Sanyos are best to be thrown away, dont get any of them in replacement.

Get a charger that charges each cell for its own!

the 14500s are Li-Ions. Should keep their charge much longer. But should be stored only half-charged, not fresh from the gadget.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the reply. I guess I will throw them out. I already replaced them with Eneloops thanks to this forum.

I will slightly discharge the 14500 and place it in the fridge......... unless someone has a need and a good reason why I should send it to them. :thinking:

Pretty funny Tom, I guess I should have left them un-opened in the package.

Thanks

Bill

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2500 mAh cells seem to have had a lot of problems with developing high self discharge rates. While we don't exactly know why, we have narrowed it down to something to do with usage, storage, charging, and/or discharging. People who avoid all of those activities usually don't seem to have this problem come up... :)

:crackup::laughing: ROTFLMAO
my drink nearly exited my nose.

That's really good Tom!

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
If you discharge your Li-Ion cell to around 3.9 volts, slip it into a Zip Loc bag and store it in the refrigerator, it should last around 5 - 10 years.

Tom

How much capacity is there in the cell when it is discharged to 3.9V? When should LiIon should be recharged?

- Vikas

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bill,

Sorry, leaving them unopened in the package comes under the heading of "storage..." :)

It would have been better if you left them unopened in the package at the store, and didn't buy them.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Vikas,

3.9 volts on a Li-Ion cell is around 65% of a full charge.

If you limit your use to 80% of the total capacity you will get longer life from your cells. You do a test and check the runtime, then adjust accordingly.

For example, if you can get an hour of runtime, you are better off recharging after 48 minutes.

Tom

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Bill,

Sorry, leaving them unopened in the package comes under the heading of "storage..." :)

It would have been better if you left them unopened in the package at the store, and didn't buy them.

Tom

If I only new then, what I know now. What junk. They were not cheap either! I guess we get smarter as we get older. Is the charger any good or should I pitch it too? I have the Duracell 2650mah that I bought at the same time but they have worked flawlesly. I charge these in the energizer charger. I guess I could use the eneloop charger couldn't I?

Thanks Bill

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also had eight of those 2500mAH Enerjunkers. They are crap. Lasted less than a year before high self discharge hit. My 4 year old Panasonic 1600mAH's last longer than these. Sorry to say but I recommend just tossing them (recycle) and get Eneloops.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bill,

Unfortunately, none of us knew this high rate of self discharge was going to occur until we were actually using these cells.

I might add that I have had a number of 2500 mAh cells develop this high self discharge problem, but I also have 12 Sanyo 2500 mAh cells that are still going strong, and don't have this problem. I attribute the occasional charge on a 15 minute charger to their "well being..." :)

Tom

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
didnt You typed that You use other 14500s with another gadget?
Just get a small magnet and put it on top of the cell, then it works just like a buttoned one

I'm not sure what your saying. I ordered a 14500 for my DI. The non-button cell did not work. The vendor replaced it with a button type which works great. So I just wanted to know how long I could store it in case I ever have a light in the future I could use it in.

Bill

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'm not sure what your saying. I ordered a 14500 for my DI. The non-button cell did not work. The vendor replaced it with a button type which works great. So I just wanted to know how long I could store it in case I ever have a light in the future I could use it in.

Bill

You can put a little magnet on the end to make it work like a button top.

Something like these:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4248

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can put a little magnet on the end to make it work like a button top.

I tried a magnet but the non button battery type is already bigger for some reason and fit very tightly in the light. I don't want to add a magnet and make the battery even longer. I also noticed that the magnet had a tendency to move around. It seemed possible that the magnet could short against the aluminum tube. Anyway there was no need to worry about such details when the vendor agreed to replace the battery for free and told me to keep the non-button cell to boot. I now have two AW-14500 button cells and two Ultrafire button 14500 cells. I don't need the Non-button cell.

Bill

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buying a magnet fo your liIon is probably just sending good money after bad and possibly dangerous to boot. I say give it away.

There are entire threads about how bad the energizer 2500s were.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/160139
I'm glad I only bought 8. I think 3 are still useable, both China and Japan versions went bad on me. One 4 pk I bought had 2 dead cells straight from the package. I at least got a refund on those.

jerry i h

Enlightened
... Energizer 2500 mAh? Your batteries have been hit by the dreaded high self-discharge rate. Common problem with those. Replace them by some Eneloop or Rayovac Hybrid and you'll be good for a few years! :)
Dang! Now I find this thread, AFTER buying several packages of Enerjunk 2500's on sale for a buck each at Walgreen's. But, the Rayovacs and Eneloops are never on sale...:mad: