How many HDS lights do you own?

How many HDS lights do you own?

• Total voters

tyu

Newly Enlightened
My first was purchased May 26, 2014 according to the receipt; a 140 Hcri executive ($139) that was quickly followed by a 200 executive ($149). I still have both of those along with some newer siblings. I only recently got my first rotary.

While digging in my email I found one I sent to Henry in 2008 with a question. I wish it hadn't taken 6 years to finally buy in.

Sos24

Enlightened
1, but my second is in the mail on its way, so I voted 2. It took me a while to finally decide to buy my first, a Tactical. Every since getting it, I find my self always going to grab it, instead of a different light in a more convenient location. To remedy the situation, I have a Rotary on its way.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Total of 3

1st, 140 Executive, sold
2nd, 200 HiCRI Executive (love this light, but thinking about selling if I can score a F89HG)
3rd, High Noon Executive, 2nd group buy, love this light too

I like having a backup, but very hard for me to rationalize (for several reasons) more than two. Trying hard though!

Here's my grail HDS (Hogo you listening? Let's do this limited run!)
Clicky,
Natty HA on 7075 (I know 6061 is plenty tough and I don't NEED it, but Ti isn't necessary either)
Primary 219B, sw45k, or something similar like a XPL HI at 4300 (can we bump the lumens?)
Secondary, a deep red, like an XP-E2

Strintguy

Enlightened
Also 3...
Tactical Clicky (2012) modded by Vinh with hi cri 219b,
170N (OR) Rotary, gets the least used, but still loved
3 o'clock high Rotary, made a 5000K lover out of me

ironhorse

Enlightened
First was the 120 lumen clicky, back when they were $99, and added the screw on 2 way clip. I don't know what year that was. It is still bright enough for 99 percent of all my needs.
200 lumen rotary, shortly after they came out and my favorite of all the High Noon Rotary.

Croquette

Enlightened
THree HDS.

One clicky with osram golden dragon modded now with a nichia 219b 4000k with the most beautiful tint of all my flashlights. Paid 100€ (a bit more with the mod)
One rotary 140 with nichia 219a paid 129€ used by my wife as the interface is the easiest to understand.
One clicky with older firmware (no candle mode) 200 lumen xpg that I will probably get modded with and xpl hi or nichia 219c some day. Paid 149€

They are not carried everyday but I never leave the city without at least one of them.

They are so close of being perfect. They lack a little runtime (18350 with new 1200 mah would be so great) and a little punch sometimes (like a small turbo mode with 30 sec or 1 min timer @ 500 lumen) but the programming and the feeling in hand are at the top of all my flashlights.

Last edited:

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned and used HDS lights since 2010--Twisties, Clickies and Rotaries. Right now I have two Rotaries, and a third on the way.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Let's see:

5 Original EDC
1 NovaTac
2 Twisties
2 Legacy Clickies
2 Clickies
5 Rotaries

I haven't purchased a new one for a couple years, don't have the money to burn or the drive lately, but I've updated emitters and had a few recalibrated/updated.

I've sold a few, and regret each one of those.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
None.

But I couldn't vote since that wasn't one of the choices.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
None.

But I couldn't vote since that wasn't one of the choices.

And the reason for that was simple.
I had a feeling that those who purchased an HDS were very likely to have purchased another. If someone never took the first step to purchase one, well, that's not what I'm trying to find out.
I could start a thread that asks "why don't you own an HDS?" but 99% of the responses would be either cost or output. The other 1% would be interesting to know though. The lights aren't cheap in any sense of the word, but is interesting that despite the cost and the lower than average output, most who buy one, go on to buy another... and another...

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output shouldn't be much of a factor. Most of the people who own or want to own (me) an HDS are the same guys who just know if they need to rely on a torch they will always have that with an HDS. There are flashlights that can be used for wow factor and fun and then there are the ones that you can put your life on. I will be an owner when I get out of this financial funk that just hit. Had plans of getting another high end light and an HDS this payday but funds went elsewhere. People that are outsoorsmen or use a light for work should own one.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one at the moment: 3000k Executive Rotary.

I had, and sold (aaaargggggh): A Clicky 140 with an Osram Golden Dragon; A Clicky HiCRI 100 with (I think) an SSC high CRI P4; and a Hi CRI Twisty 100 with an 18650 tube.

ven

Flashaholic
Is novatac counted? If so i have 3 and all are i like a tremendous amount. One is super special from Jon, the rotary.

I think its the feel and size that just is perfect, there is actually nothing i dont like(inc the lower outputs compared to other lights). Saying that my 2 novatacs have had lumen bumps(quite significant) from more efficient emitters. We are talking 100ish to over 300 in one case and 60 ish to near 250!!! Cant remember exactsm but its within a few lumens anyway.

The rotary 219b 4000k
rDx6sO7l.jpg

Maybe in my top 2 fav UI's of all time...............that good
Novatacs
Gold is sporting a 219c 5000k, 230-250lm iirc....................love it!, ano stripped(loved the dark ano but a little scruffy , my OCD could not cope so ano away!)This sports a very nice 219b 4000k and hits out over 300lm
ApGBduMl.jpg

Would love a ti HDS with the 219b 9080 more than a wife and kids................unfortunately its too late for that :crazy::mecry::laughing: But that would be about my most desired/wanted light in the world right now..............

Too add on the novatacs, they really got my interest from sir hondo, his great info along with others got me on the hunt for one. The slightly smaller form over HDS i really like. Also having a click option with raised boot keeps things fresh and not too samey. I just could not cope with the aged LED although ironically it was quite a nice clean white beam!

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya I have never understood all the fuss about output on HDS lights. First they are built as a EDC light not a thrower.and they are built to work under hard use and do so very well. And unless my eyes are WAY off my simple 140 I have and EDC throws dam near as far as my Malkoff M60 that has twice the output.

ven

Flashaholic
Ya I have never understood all the fuss about output on HDS lights. First they are built as a EDC light not a thrower.and they are built to work under hard use and do so very well. And unless my eyes are WAY off my simple 140 I have and EDC throws dam near as far as my Malkoff M60 that has twice the output.

HDS just get everything right................

If you want brighter you go else where, as with you, there is no need for pretty much most EDC applications. I have my hot rods like the next guy, i wont deny i enjoy them. But they are not HDS, they as with all compact high output lights, also have short comings(heat/run time). Its all about the right light for you and your purpose in mind, spotting game 1000yds away is not for a HDS. Just as a maxabeam is not ideal for looking for a lost item around a property.

I am a fan of many 16340 fed lights for EDC type uses, all are different, but all can be used for similar aplications
wnXktRAl.jpg

Choices are good, i think with HDS , is the customer does not like it for X Y or Z reasons, maybe they just did not do their home work enough. (could apply to any light really). After all, there is enough info about HDS, the start and to date history in more detail than any other manufacturer i can think of .

To guess an output(which is never a good idea with our eyes), i would hazard a guess most of my HDS uses(not in night as low lumen), but general uses would be 40-140lm. Vaery rare is the rotary dialled right up. What did surprise me a while back camping in a dark field at night..................i had it dialed up and it was far too bright. Over powering within 20ft, dialled down for a retina saving bit of illumination!

Love your sig pic! :)