How many hours on your incans, and for what?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wore a bulb out! LOL.

My 4D Mag quietly went out this morning. I had a 5D running next to it, so I wasn't left in the dark when it happened. A new Magnum Star II xenon (the only kind I have on hand) went in and it's back up with a noticeably whiter beam; now it's making the 5D look kind of sad, ha ha.

I would guess that bulb had at least 30 hours on it. Running 4 NiMH D cells with a Kaidomain OP or MOP reflector, it's a pretty sweet beam.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesn't surprise me, the old lamps unless overdriven are pretty lame compared to the magnumstars. I remember when I first tried the original potted magnumstar version back in the mid-2000's, it was way better than the krypton. More throwy too. Even the old pre-2005 Minimag bulbs are not very good either. They've had at least a couple different versions in the past ten or fifteen years that improved the lumens and color temp a lot.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now this morning my 2D bulb just went out, ha ha! I had the 16650-powered P60 in a 6P running next to it, so like yesterday I wasn't left in the dark.

In my mind this shows just how much I am using my incans in the past month or so compared to the years that I've had them. Not counting the 6D I believe I've only changed 2 Maglite D bulbs ever before this week.

Same deal, just replaced the bulb and it's back up with a whiter beam. This one has a stock reflector, so....lol. Running on 2x2 Eneloop AAs.

Every time I use my 2D I'm amazed at how bright it is compared to how dim I remember it being when I first got it; it makes me think that I bought the light with a krypton bulb installed.

And that quiets my thought of getting some kryptons to compare...

Ah, down the road I'll just have to get a set of lights specifically for krypton, like all black for nostalgia, neh?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went on a walk last night in full dark down a country road with the Maglite 2D. I must be getting older as 27 Lumens wasn't as bright as I remembered it to be. I managed fine as to light my way in my direct vicinity, however I was not able to view around as much as I am used to.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went on a walk last night in full dark down a country road with the Maglite 2D. I must be getting older as 27 Lumens wasn't as bright as I remembered it to be. I managed fine as to light my way in my direct vicinity, however I was not able to view around as much as I am used to.

27lm isn`t much... or am i used to high power bulbs...

Grijon, you can still find these babies.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going for a trip so i won't be able to use full incan arsenal until mid Nov but this FM1794 goes in the pocket
8918cb535398691b8d5d7223154f3c77.jpg

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this setup with the axial and the aw softstart. One of my very few neversells

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, an axial bulb is perfect in a focusable light. When you defocus, you still have the tight hotspot, what you change is the size of the corona around it. Huge difference from regular hot wires. This works in this host and modified maglites as well

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, you're right! Too bad they are not available anymore. And runtime is great. It last (my usage everyday) as HDS on max with any other led...

Sent from Tapatalk

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flooder vs sniper... ma tumba was right about that hotspot[emoji1690]
f0d9aab5311fe040425853059b2c5d0c.jpg
af2988f019db0389e09997ca05bff2be.jpg

So much talk about incans yet i feel alone...

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's always something you never hear! Hahaha!!! That and your lens never builds up with snow. A Surefire high powered incan running quality primary cells is pretty handy in a blizzard.