How many hours on your incans, and for what?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
...My 4D Mag quietly went out this morning...
And it just went out again this morning, exactly in the same spot at last time :)

I would guess that bulb had at least 30 hours on it.

I've been using it fairly regularly, so it may have had 30 or more hours on the bulb that just went out. I believe the Magnum Star II xenon are rated for something like 30 hours, does anyone have "official" info?

Running 4 NiMH D cells with a Kaidomain OP or MOP reflector, it's a pretty sweet beam.
I ordered glass lenses when I got the reflectors but never put one on until this last week. OH MY GOODNESS. I love the glass upgrade!! Every Mag I have will be getting both Kaidomain parts, reflector and lens.

Tads Customs G4 with 10W and 20W Phillips bulbs either in HK or on the boat. I plan for them to go into this 4D Mag with 4x NiMH LSD D cells.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the Magnum Star II xenon are rated for something like 30 hours, does anyone have "official" info?

I've been running 3D, 4D, 5D Magnum Star II extensively since this post and can now say from personal experience that mid-20s is a repeatable, reasonable expectation for these bulbs running on alkaline and NiMH.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been running 3D, 4D, 5D Magnum Star II extensively since this post and can now say from personal experience that mid-20s is a repeatable, reasonable expectation for these bulbs running on alkaline and NiMH.

Did they burn out or is that just where you are at with them right now?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the past months I have burned through several bulbs of each of the sizes listed, and they tend to burn out between 24 and 30 hours. This is mostly on NiMH.

I've been using tailstanding Mags for two hours every morning instead of using lightswitches, and I really enjoy it :D

I recently bought Powerowl NiMH D cells for the 3D and 5D, so they join the 4D with its Tenergy Centuras and I have all three with fresh Magnum Star IIs running together this morning - it's a pleasing sight.

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
I can't even seem to burn through the first set of Chinese P60 knockoff lamps I bought about 3 years ago for my 6Ps. I'm still using them every day. I have one I probably use for about a half hour each day. I thought it would be burnt out by now but its still going strong. Thats good and bad. Good that it is pretty cost effective. Bad that I stocked up on a life time supply based on thinking they'd each last a year and I may last 20 more lol.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, life will always surprise when you pay attention to it :)

For example, I just had two bulbs go out within minutes of each other. Purely on NiMH D power, a 4D blew after 11:07 and a 5D at 11:03. That's 11 hours and so many minutes spread out over three runs.

Based on my firsthand recorded experiences with these lights and bulbs (I'm geeking out with this) I expected at least twice that much life out of them, so either NiMH is harder on bulbs than I thought, or I had two separate bulbs with issues that amazingly gave up effectively identical times.

So interesting! I'll keep sharing as I learn more.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How much do the NiMH bulbs sag under load? (may have been answered already, if so my bad.) Say a 4 cell light with resting alkies would read 6 volts but be 4.8 under a load. Also I wonder if the mAH ability may be more with NiMH cells? Bulb able to burn a bit brighter, also leading to reduced lifespan?

Interesting to know how chemestry affects bulb life though. Say like when I have a 3 cell bulb in a 4c I know to always use alkalines now.

SATX_Girl

Newly Enlightened
I use my Surefire A2 for about 2-3 hours daily for reading. I created a mount by my bed. It works great and I change the batteries every couple of weeks.

325addict

Enlightened
The one that absolutely has the most hours on it is my Surefire C3 Centurion with P90 Lamp Assembly. It has been on my desk since... I think 2010 or so, and EVERYBODY at the company uses it... still on its FIRST(!) P90! I just cannot believe it... OK, the glass envelope is pitch black but it still works... Mostly, the time it is used is just a minute or so per use, but.... the number of uses is literally countless. It has been dropped multiple times onto the concrete/stone floor, has dents and scratches all around, but still... that P90 is indestructible :)

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Most of my night time reading incans (I wont use LED before Bed) are from the 60`s and 70`s and take a No8 battery (great for a protected 18650), and I use a 4.8v 300ma MES bulb in them, it`s a cozy color temp and is just perfect for reading with and will go all night no problem :)