How many lights do you EDC?

How many lights do you EDC?

• Zero. And you are registered on CPF....why?

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • One. Hey, even a single light carried all the time puts you way ahead of the typical person.

Votes: 44 25.4%
  • Two. Two is one, one is none. Gotta have a backup, right?

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • Three. Two is one, one is none, three is fun!

Votes: 46 26.6%
  • Four. You never know when you will need a hand-out for those who aren't prepared.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Five. You are counting button cell lights, aren't you?

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Six. Do you use a backpack or a murse?

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I vary.

I have a Quark Mini 123 that is always on me or in my backpack when I leave the house. Inside the backpack there's a backup Mini 123, and usually 2 or 3 spare batteries. I don't always tote the backpack everywhere when I'm out though. So during the daytime I commonly only have one light on me, and one more in the car. I do probably have NO light on me a few hours of the week, in the middle of the day, but my car or backpack wouldn't be too far away.

Nighttime is a whole different story. Then I'm packing both Quarks and my 6P/M60.

The 6P won't necessarily be on my person at all times, but both the Quarks are.

And of course if I'm going into the wilderness or something then I've got everything on me at all times.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Gotta have a backup to the backup to the backup..

backup.jpg

CPFBiology

Enlightened
zero...currently...

i am new to this forum, and am moving towards learning about lights and finding the perfect edc.

previously, i only ever had two or three lights, then ordered a bunch from dx, and when they all failed, i kinda left the scene

now i am moving towards getting a high quality and reliable light...lights plural actually

i have spent money acquiring a surefire 6p host and malkoff m61, and am tossed between getting a C123a HDS EDC, or an HDS Twisty (R19670)/18650, as well as adding a JetBeam III-M, and MD2 with Malkoff dropin.

i would be willing to edc a p2d(fenix) or a C123a HDS EDC

Texas gun person

Newly Enlightened
Just one light is enough for me.

I carry one of everything... and only one because I have enough stuff on me.

1 gun
1 light
1 knife

Plus a radio, wallet, keys, Ipod Shuffle, and whatever else finds its way into my pockets.

Imon

Enlightened
I EDC one light plus in the past few days I've been carrying a spare 123 with me.

Usually ....
1. HDS RA Clicky 140 Custom
or
2. SF E1L Outdoorsman
sometimes...
3. 4Sevens Quark 123^2
rarely
4. Streamlight PT 2L or SF E2L Outdoorsman

Sometimes I'll carry my Fenix LD01 as a backup but I've never been that big on Fenixes... plus it's a twisty :duh2:

Harry999

Enlightened
Far too many I think but I carry a neck wallet and a number of EDC carry pouches and packs so have room. I guess I am just really afraid of the dark. Here is what I currently carry when out and about;

HDS 170T Clicky (Factory settings)
HDS 100 CRI Clicky (Factory settings)
HDS 100 CRI Clicky with FO4 diffuser (Set up for low lumen outputs)

140 Twisty CR123A (neck lanyard)
100 Custom 100 CRI Twisty
140 Twisty 19670 tube

Surefire LX2
Surefire E2DL

Zebralight H501
Zebralight SC30w

ITP A3 EOS Titanium
3 cheapie photon type coin lights
Fenix EO1

Nitecore Defender Infinity (Silver limited edition) with AW14500

2 Pak-lites - one super and one original (soon I will add two more pak-lites with red and green leds respectively)

I'm looking at this and thinking I really like the HDS lights, don't I? Ironically at home and in the garden I just carry the HDS Twisty 140 on a neck lanyard, a pak-lite, a Nitecore Extreme R2 as a battery vampire for CR123A cells and a Surefire E2DL. :shrug:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[18 lights]
And we have a winner! :twothumbs

BTW I had previously voted 'two', but I'm up to three now. This is because I've finally got a light that fits comfortably in the change pocket of my Levi's - a classic ARC-AAA. Another usable pocket, another light that can be carried. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CPFBiology

Enlightened
I guess I am just really afraid of the dark. Here is what I currently carry when out and about;
List of 18 Lights

And we have a winner! :twothumbs
indeed.

BTW I had previously voted 'two', but I'm up to three now. This is because I've finally got a light that fits comfortably in the change pocket of my Levi's - a classic ARC-AAA. Another usable pocket, another light that can be carried. :thumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking Kestrel, what line of work are you in? (2-3 EDCs).

kennjen

Newly Enlightened
I really can't believe ANY One would carry more than 3.

Primary - bigger light with large output.
Secondary - medium size for every day normal use.
Backup. - Backup small light.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I really can't believe ANY One would carry more than 3.

Primary - bigger light with large output.
Secondary - medium size for every day normal use.
Backup. - Backup small light.
Through your disbelief, just remember there are many who would think that three was ridiculous!

Right now I have the 007 in my right pocket, Ti Clicky clipped in my left pocket, MiNi CR2 in my watch pocket, LF2XT in the belt loop of a pouch I wear, MiNi AA in my back pocket next to wallet, and a Draco on a neck lanyard.

When I need light, I can quickly choose which is best for the circumstances!

kennjen

Newly Enlightened
Through your disbelief, just remember there are many who would think that three was ridiculous!

I know...each to his own, so I'm not knocking it.

BUT... if you have a real need to carry more than 3 lights then I assume that you are out and about in a dark to do SOME THING. At which point, wouldn't you rather carry a tool to do that "SOME THING", rather than another flashlight ? ?

Even the Deep sea divers will only carry a primary and an octopus regulator, maybe it's not a good analogy, but Y Y Y more than 3 flash lights....

:shakehead Anyway...in the end ....If it's fun (to carry many FL)...and it is to some extent even for me, it's fine.

SARLights

Newly Enlightened
Mainly just one. My CRKT Lumabiner + spare batteries. I keep a Grunding and a Novatac Storm in the backpack, and carry a Gerber Recon if it's afternoon when I leave.

Harry999

Enlightened
So this is read as you literally carry 18 flashlights on you...daily??

Or this is your rotation of EDC's?

Seriously this is what I carry daily when I leave the house. I think I developed a liking for these particular lights and found it so difficult to make a choice about which to leave at home that I set up a daily carry system that takes them all. I have carried more on occasion when I am testing a new light.

I do leave the heavier ones at home like the Thrunite Catapult V2, although there was a time I carried that in my Maxpedition colossus bag. I'll only take those with me if I am say spending a day or two in the countryside on the weekend.

I am actually going to leave the house for an evening walk in 15 minutes and I will be taking all the above lights other than the Zebralight SC30 but I am adding the Nitecore Extreme R2, a Pak-lite and another Ra Twisty 140. I will mainly be using the Pak-lite and the Ra Twisty 140 tonight although if I walk through the park I will also use the HDS 100 CRI Clicky. In the park I occasionally try the other lights.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I know...each to his own, so I'm not knocking it.

BUT... if you have a real need to carry more than 3 lights then I assume that you are out and about in a dark to do SOME THING. At which point, wouldn't you rather carry a tool to do that "SOME THING", rather than another flashlight ? ?

Even the Deep sea divers will only carry a primary and an octopus regulator, maybe it's not a good analogy, but Y Y Y more than 3 flash lights....

:shakehead Anyway...in the end ....If it's fun (to carry many FL)...and it is to some extent even for me, it's fine.
There is no need for me to have more than one or two, but since the question was simply about how many we're carrying, I'm carrying half a dozen and not only that, but all the lights I carry have their own place and allow me to carry whatever else I always have as well.

As you said, it's fun to carry them and compare the different lights for different situations as well.

jellydonut

Enlightened
It surely is, and I find myself bringing along the whole stable in a backpack for midnight walks and the like, but do you really do that every single day? To work/school/family dinners?:thinking:

I thought this thread was for one's Every Day Carry, not Flashlight Testing Night Carry.:p

Harry999

Enlightened
jellydonut,

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I work in another city from where I live. Since if something happened I would have to stay over I like to have the ones I know I would use in an emergency with me. It is comforting. :eek:

Now if I had a car they could be in the car but I don't drive and I use public transport. Hence the EDC carry does comprise that many lights. Only two or three lights are ever on public display - those attached to the lanyard on the neck wallet. Three are in my trouser pockets. Three more are in my neck wallet. One is on a neck lanyard under my clothes. The remaining are in my small EDC carry bag (also known as a man-purse!).

I also have a routine of walking everyday for health and fitness. The additional weight provides some resistance training... :nana: