How to 3D print a battery cover for Garmin GPS to convert to 18650

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Garmin GPS, Montana 700.
It's a nice device. However I am frustrated by two things. The Lithium-Ion battery is proprietary and is enclosed in a plastic shell. The mAh is only 3300 or such. And with age it declines. I think my 2-year old unit is under 3,000 mAh. I have not found the runtime to be very good. Not like the older 60Csx which got 24 hours on a pair of L91s, or close to that on Eneloops. The Montana 700 screen is much larger, finer, the power consumption is greater due to more pixels. I've tested Eneloops in it and the runtime is awful. I think in part due to 1.2V x 3 which doesn't match the 4.2V of the Li-ion battery. (You can run either one).

If the proprietary Li-ion fails, you have to buy another one for at least $40 and deal with the same problem, poor runtime. If Garmin goes out of business, you have no options. The 3xAA is not very good, for some reason they are fixated on 3xAA since Montana 680. That unit needs at least 4xAA to get the 4V+ to run the thing, 1.2V*3 or 3.6V of Eneloops does not run it well or long.

I want to build a batt consisting of 2x18650 enclosed in the same plastic shell as the other two. The battery that comes with is also the backplate which comes off, it's one unit. Same for the stupid 3xAA contraption. I already lost it once. If you are using the Li-ion unit, you have to find a way to store the 3xAA contraption somewhere, they did not put enough thought in the design.

2x21mm would be even better but I am not sure it will fit inside the battery compartment. Likely won't.

Left to right, Li-ion batt, the 3xAA contraption and the Montana 700 where the 2x18650 should fit.

I think the build should entail tearing the old one apart, recycling the bottom portion for the fit into it, the 2x18mm cells fitted into it and the cover printed. Also the main thing and as its relevant here, how do adapt the 2x18mm in parallel (not series, obviously) to provide the same voltage as the single Li-ion that came with it? I need a contraption which fits 2x18650 so they are removable just like the AAs are.
I think I can recycle the connector of the batt case to the connector inside the GPS. It's the inner components which mystify me, where do I get what I need?
I have a Garmin GPS, Montana 700.
It's a nice device. However I am frustrated by two things. The Lithium-Ion battery is proprietary and is enclosed in a plastic shell. The mAh is only 3300 or such. And with age it declines. I think my 2-year old unit is under 3,000 mAh. I have not found the runtime to be very good. Not like the older 60Csx which got 24 hours on a pair of L91s, or close to that on Eneloops. The Montana 700 screen is much larger, finer, the power consumption is greater due to more pixels. I've tested Eneloops in it and the runtime is awful. I think in part due to 1.2V x 3 which doesn't match the 4.2V of the Li-ion battery. (You can run either one).

If the proprietary Li-ion fails, you have to buy another one for at least $40 and deal with the same problem, poor runtime. If Garmin goes out of business, you have no options. The 3xAA is not very good, for some reason they are fixated on 3xAA since Montana 680. That unit needs at least 4xAA.

I want to build a batt consisting of 2x18650 enclosed in the same plastic shell as the other two. The battery that comes with is also the backplate which comes off, it's one unit. Same for the stupid 3xAA contraption. I already lost it once. If you are using the Li-ion unit, you have to find a way to store the 3xAA contraption somewhere, they did not put enough thought in the design.

2x21mm would be even better but I am not sure it will fit inside the battery compartment. Likely won't.

Left to right, Li-ion batt, the 3xAA contraption and the Montana 700 where the 2x18650 should fit.

6qrygZ8.jpg

I think the build should entail tearing the old one apart, recycling the bottom portion for the fit into it, the 2x18mm cells fitted into it and the cover printed. Also the main thing and as its relevant here, how do adapt the 2x18mm in parallel (not series, obviously) to provide the same voltage as the single Li-ion that came with it? I need a contraption which fits 2x18650 so they are removable just like the AAs are. So then that bracket would get wired to the output which connects to the GPS terminals .

I think I can recycle the connector of the batt case to the connector inside the GPS. It's the inner components which mystify me, where do I get what I need?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
First you'll have to design the cover, using one of several available graphic design software, I use 123D Design. then print it, but it will not fit correctly the first time, 3d prints, depending on material, print orientation, size/thickness will shrink, often differently in at least 2 directions, then you measure the shrinkage and adjust either your model, or settings in your slicer, so the next time the part fits. It will take several attempts at least. PLA filament has the least shrinkage, ABS shrinks more. But PLA gets soft and deforms in hot environment, like inside a hot car, ABS not nearly as much, PETG is as strong and heat resistant as ABS and shrinks as little as PLA.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I see a difference between the 3xAA adapter and the Li Ion battery pack that the AA has only two contacts, and the LiIon has 5.

Probably a quick and easy adaptation would be to use a battery bank strapped or velcro-ed to the back of your hand held, and connect it with a USB cable.
I did this with a GE Lantern.
1695053065756.png

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on a device, external usb pack may not work. i mean it will power the device but it will also activate a charging circuit that may create interference. I had a FM transmitter that would become next to useless when plugged in, charging circuit created emf interference and transmissions was extremely noisy.
You could do external power, but connect it to the same pins your device uses to connect to a battery, not a charging port. thou this may not apply to your device. wont know unless you try,

Since you're considering tearing apart the stock LiPo battery pack, maybe take a look at the stock battery that's inside and see if that is easily purchased and replaceable. Some lithium pouch batteries might be available online and just have a small plug that connects it to the internal electronics.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Probably a quick and easy adaptation would be to use a battery bank strapped or velcro-ed to the back of your hand held, and connect it with a USB cable.
A powerbank is going to output USB 5V (itself requiring some additional complexity to control max current), which could be outside of the range that the power electronics in the GPS receiver can handle.

Some lithium pouch batteries might be available online and just have a small plug that connects it to the internal electronics.
The internet probably knows the specific pouch cell to source from the likes of alibaba.

Poppy

Flashaholic
A powerbank is going to output USB 5V (itself requiring some additional complexity to control max current), which could be outside of the range that the power electronics in the GPS receiver can handle.

The internet probably knows the specific pouch cell to source from the likes of alibaba.
I thought that if it was designed to run on 4.5 volts, that it might accept 5 volts. But on a $600 radio it might not be worth the risk.

You might start with something like this. I think that getting and positioning springs as connectors will be challenging.