How to get good drinking water?

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Cold Water Dispenser

Darkcobra, yes, those RO water stores are pretty common, the one near my old place charges 20 cents/gallon. I guess if you can bring a few 5 gal jugs home in the car once a week, the expense won't too high.

Re the dual filtering, here's the problem as I see it: the two filters are probably a ceramic filter (to remove bacteria) and a carbon filter (to remove chemicals). Neither one of them will remove minerals, because they can't. Minerals are what makes your water hard. For stuff like cooking and appliances, maybe you should look into a softener, as explained above.

The url's I linked don't make home RO sound so bad, but as I say, I've never owned one myself. The good units start around $300 and need maybe $50/year in upkeep, so they'll take a couple years to pay for themselves as compared to buying 10 gal/week at the water store, on a pure cost basis. Personally I'd hate the inconvenience of bringing home that much water every week instead of purifying it at home, but YMMV.

Darkcobra

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Re the dual filtering, here's the problem as I see it: the two filters are probably a ceramic filter (to remove bacteria) and a carbon filter (to remove chemicals). Neither one of them will remove minerals, because they can't. Minerals are what makes your water hard. For stuff like cooking and appliances, maybe you should look into a softener, as explained above.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, didn't know that minerals don't get filtered out? Thanks for the info.
Yeah, it is a hassle to bring home ton's of water, but its either an RO system, buy water or build a still?
Buying water maybe once or twice a week at 30 cents a gallon looks to be the way to go for the time being. My wife also likes the $25 startup cost of it all.

paulr

Flashaholic

Yes, that's about the size of it. Sorry it wasn't clear about the minerals earlier. If filters could remove minerals, the California droughts would stop being a problem, since we could just filter the salt out of seawater from the Pacific Ocean and pipe it to CA farms for agriculture. Unfortunately, removing minerals isn't so simple; only cumbersome processes like RO and distillation can do it.

All the water we drink from the tap is naturally distilled: sunlight evaporates water from the ocean, it hangs around for a while as clouds, then comes down as rain and is collected in reservoirs or as groundwater (wells).

You can buy a ready-made solar still from these guys: http://www.solaqua.com/ but it's pretty expensive. I'd really like to try building a home-made one someday. You can buy electric stills for a bit less, but they use so much electricity that it's cheaper to just buy RO water from the store.

Darkcobra

Enlightened

Saltwater = Mineral /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I know its a Friday, I couldn't come to that conclusion myself. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

$450 for a still that cranks out 1.5 gallon of water in the Summer... Sounds like a cool home project though.
Let me know if you ever make out plans for your own still.

Thanks!

sstrauss

Newly Enlightened

I also had to go through the fancy faucet issue. We ended up with a puretouch moen. You can get them in a fancy satin nickel finish and is was not that hard to install.
SCott