How to max throw on a 6p?

ever4ever

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help! lovecpf
I just ordered an XR-E R2 -
at 1.3 amps regulated,with a smooth reflector, on a cool white tint and some thermal potting from nailbender. :twothumbs

I'll post beamshots when it gets here.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help! lovecpf
I just ordered an XR-E R2 -
at 1.3 amps regulated,with a smooth reflector, on a cool white tint and some thermal potting from nailbender. :twothumbs

I'll post beamshots when it gets here.

EZ900 EZ900 EZ900 Don't forget. it adds 23% more lux.

ever4ever

Newly Enlightened
Now tell us where we can buy one? Nailbender checked it out for me and couldn't find them anywhere.

Exactly. Nailbender says that no dealer is selling EZ900, some leds might be EZ900 but not is 100%... if you know a place who sells them I'd be glad to hear.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. Nailbender says that no dealer is selling EZ900, some leds might be EZ900 but not is 100%... if you know a place who sells them I'd be glad to hear.

Cuttereclectronics.com has them for sale, but one person here ordered them EZ900's and got standard XR-E R2 with larger die.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/281065

Just get the XR-E R2 for now and in a couple months others will actually sell that emitter ez900 R2.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some from Cutter. Ordered them again, after talking to Cutter rep.(to make sure my second order was EZ900 also). EZ1000's showed up. The Solarforce Skyline 2 I just bought had an EZ900 in it.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I got some from Cutter. Ordered them again, after talking to Cutter rep.(to make sure my second order was EZ900 also). EZ1000's showed up. The Solarforce Skyline 2 I just bought had an EZ900 in it.

So it's shear luck if you get what you order? No sense in even trying then is there?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Please be sure to let us know if you do. I'd love to ask NB to build a thrower for me using the ez900 set up for a seraph turbo head.

LV426

Enlightened
Just got a "Super bright R2" from DX, with a suspiciously small LED...
Now I know which one to put my new driver in! :D

How to "thermally pot" it?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a "Super bright R2" from DX, with a suspiciously small LED...
Now I know which one to put my new driver in! :D

How to "thermally pot" it?

LInk please?

I just got 2 XRE R2's from them this morning and they are full size:shakehead

red02

Enlightened
I wonder how long we'll have to wait until the EZ900 is all that's left?

By that time the XRE will be completely abandoned in favor of the XPG. Dereelight already stopped selling XRE SMO reflectors for the DBS... in other words too long

recDNA

Flashaholic
As long as someone like Nailbender can get them reliably we may count on some great D36 or D26 throwers.

It's too bad the big manufacturers are abandoning the R2. I prefer the XP-G for most purposes but only 4Sevens has managed to build a thrower from them and

I doubt they'll ever be an XP-G that can put out 100,000 lux like in R2 in the hands of the right builder.

Flashaholics will always want throwers. Somebody will find an answer to meet the demand....perhaps using a bin that doesn't exist yet.

I'll tell you one thing...if I had a Deft I'd be biding my time as the resale value of them grows way beyond the initial sale price.

red02

Enlightened
As long as someone like Nailbender can get them reliably we may count on some great D36 or D26 throwers.

D36/26 sized dropins are limited in what they can do and will sometimes be beaten be smaller lights like the Eagletacs. Real throw occurs with dedicated lights with larger reflectors.

Its sad to see the best modular thrower, the DBS, take a hit like this. The reason I really liked the DBS was because you have the throw of the aspheric and the larger reflector of the dedicated lights in a modular upgradeable package. You the user could choose what you wanted to do.

You want AAs? Li-ions? cr123s? Aspheric? Flood? Reflectored throw? The DBS could do it all in one neat package on almost any battery combo you could think of, limited by battery choice of course. I've avoided some better throwers because of lack of such adaptability. Still the best throw on AAs.

The DBS was perfect for me, now I'm scrambling for parts before they pull the plug completely...

I honestly can't understand why the discontinued the SMO. The DBS is built for throw, the XRE + SMO are the most efficient solutions at the moment.

Last edited:

LV426

Enlightened
Well, haven't soldered anything for about 22 years or so, but had to today, since I seem to have struck lucky with my latest "super bright R2". (Which is a EZ900 I guess, since the die is smaller...)

My old DMM (probably about 22 years old, like my soldering skills) doesn't give any reading, so I can't say how hard the LED is driven from start (it's considerably brighter than Solarforce LC-1 3-mode on high), but the below setup is clearly "throwier": approximately 150m to 120m -that's + 25%.

From DX
D26 Cree XR-E R2 EZ900 (!)
sku.11836
$8.45

Smooth reflector
sku.5937
$2.85

From Shiningbeam
2.8V - 6V buck linear regulator
SKU: 1218
$5.75

artec540

Enlightened
If you can do some modding.....Here's what will give the most throw. Get one of the new XR-E R2, WH bin, LED's on the newer EZ900 Die. add a 1.4 Amp AMC 4x driver board. The new smaller die gives a tighter focused spot, which helps a bunch on the very small D26 reflectors. It should add about 22-23% to the lux by going EZ900. Add in a 25% gain by going up from 1.0 to 1.4 Amps on top of that, and you got a big improvement on what a P60 drop-in can do.

I've got several of the lights you list as your collection and it appears that you, too, are addicted to throw but you're much more knowledgeable than I am on how to get it. How does one do that? Is it something a reasonably handy person could do with a soldering iron? You note that you modified your MPP 1 to 1.4 amps. Is that what you're suggesting with the "1.4 amp AMC 4 x driverboard", and if so, where can one find such a thing and did you marry one of them to the MPP1 LED module?

I haven't been able to find where aspheric lenses can be found for any of the throwers I've got, let alone how to figure out the best specs for such an aspheric lens..... not that it would do much good if one can't buy the bloody things!

Any help would be gratefully received.

gyani

Newly Enlightened
I ordered two DX sku 11836 AND one sku 17593 in June 2009 and I received the ez 900 die in all three of them. In December 2009 I ordered KD sku S006512 and it also had the ez 900 die.

red02

Enlightened
Sounds great, however, I'm waiting until getting the EZ900 doesn't involve playing the lottery. That and I've had trouble with DX not sending out items in the past. Still waiting on that 12 pack of aspheric lens... its been slightly more than a year now.

Latest posts