how to remove mildew smell from car carpet.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks Gary,
I have a blue anti-fatigue closed cell foam pad on the front half of the roof with closed cell foam wedges hot glued to it to stabilize the bottom kayak, and protect the front half of the roof.

The vinyl landau roof was starting to crack, and the car with 250,000 miles on it isn't worth much more than it would cost to replace it, so I painted it with flex seal. So far it has held up for two years. It is still flexible. I'm surprised, and impressed. If it tears up, I can give it another coat any morning.

edit: This past Christmas, my son got me a set of closed cell foam kayak racks/straps. It was a somewhat thoughtful gift for the guy who already has everything he needs. I am really hard to buy for.

edit #2
Here's a picture. I used to rest the tail end of the kayaks on a receiver hitch mounted bicycle rack, but that was just a unnecessary step.

ACtC-3fnFA2zMCSz16X-uVUmAxUOS2SL-EXoYAm8IiS-DCY40_UA1FaKYR6FcUnqWPANeVwMo9urt3o7Av5sk3uvMMT3gz_lzDbTTU9VGs_1-WQw5REG83Jqpc8WahZIVcrz41kIXmSoTHEbYGOy4jcUHQ6P=w592-h789-no

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
The smell is dissipating. Yesterday morning, the car was in the sun a couple of hours, and when I opened the door, there was a hint of vinegar, and underlying mildew. That dissipated quickly. I believe that I am over the hump, but am afraid that if it gets wet again, it might not take much to reactivate it. There's a 50% chance of thunderstorms and showers today, but I don't have plans to get in and out of the car much today. Time will tell.

I recall in another thread someone stating that oxiclean is great with carpet shampooers. I have one in the attic, that might have been what I should have started with. The use of vinegar was a good start.

Thanks for asking.