How-To . . . Vector Twin 100W HID Pictures

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I meant pedantic in the context of going beyond the banausic warmth of my 4300°K photonic arsenal...up to that murky edge of 5000° 'Kelvinic' abyss! I'll let you know.

Hi Lux

Just an idea !

Why not get both temps and you can compare them directly in one head using the Vector Twin ! ! ! then choose your favourite and fit 2 (or keep as a mix maybe ? ? ?

Keep Having Fun
Pete

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lux

Just an idea !

Why not get both temps and you can compare them directly in one head using the Vector Twin ! ! ! then choose your favourite and fit 2 (or keep as a mix maybe ? ? ?

Keep Having Fun
Pete
Actually that sounds like a sweet idea, a blend of 4300/5000K I had been contemplating a focused/unfocused scenario in a Vector twin too :D

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Hi Lux

Just an idea !

Keep Having Fun
Pete

Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. Now I'm looking for a small Disco Ball that I can dangle out front from a fishing rod, and use this to enjoy my Saturday Night Fever!

snf.jpg

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
I've always been an LED guy, but I just bought one of these lights off Amazon for $65 shipped. I don't know much about HID lights, but I am a big car guy and I've been doing alot of reading, so I know enough. I've been looking at kits (55W of course), and I've got a good idea about what I want. I'll probably go for more around the 5000K to 6000K range only because I love the slightly bluer tint. I'll probably order the HIDs within a week or so. For now I'm going to have to stick with the SLA battery only because I've spent too much lately. But I hope to shortly build a lithium ion pack or NiMH pack. I havn't decided which will work better. I'll have to wait and see how much room I have to work with. Plus lithium ion's will be major expensive, although the Kai D-size would be nice.

Anyways, great info here guys. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it all put together. I'm thinking about mounting the ballasts on the outside to leave more room for batteries on the inside. Especially if I'm going to put 12 D-size NiMH batteries in there. It isn't a water proof light anyways.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
any1 else think the standard Vector twin's output is a joke? :shakehead

Cant wait to get my HID kit.

I actually like the size of this thing. Thought it would be HUGE!!!

Plus with lithuim batt its gonna be the BOMB!!!!!!:devil: without a doubt it will be my fav HID Light by far.

:)

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light isnt easy to take apart at all, the batt was glued in????????

And how do I take out the black plastic divider piece without cutting the bunch of small wires to the LED lights?

EDIT: Pete did you Mod the HID Kit wiring at all? Cut some of it back? It looks as tho its gonna be a tight fit in there & the wires might be damaged by the heat of the reflector when resting up againts it?

EDIT#2: Can you still use the 12v DC Outlet?

thx

Last edited:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light isnt easy to take apart at all, the batt was glued in????????

And how do I take out the black plastic divider piece without cutting the bunch of small wires to the LED lights?

EDIT: Pete did you Mod the HID Kit wiring at all? Cut some of it back? It looks as tho its gonna be a tight fit in there & the wires might be damaged by the heat of the reflector when resting up againts it?

EDIT#2: Can you still use the 12v DC Outlet?

thx

Hi Flash,

My Batt had two layers of sticky-back black foam wrapped around it - Just pull the battery really hard out of the body - then to refit I just unwrapped one layer ! !

The wires to the LEDs are too short but all you need to do is remove the 7 screws holding the handle together and then the wires can be loosened down into the body to provide a bit of wiggle room.

No wires were harmed in the making of this Mod

. . . you just have to pull the existing wires about a bit and the new HID wires all fit in if you just loop them around in a sort of infinity circle ! ! !

You can still use the outlet and the LEDs

Good Luck
Pete

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx 4 that. Finally got it out :)

Anyone got any cool names for this Mod? Im making some custom graphics for the metal templates on the side.

thanks.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
ROFL, cool names.

this is the orig bulb, does the xenon really do anything?

It looks same colour as other halogen.

some other names:
Fly Vaporizer
Para M240
Big Boper
Atom Smasher

All i need to finish this is the HID Kit.

EDIT: Curious with the 50/55w ratings? Mine are advertised as 55w, but is that 50 or 55w? 10w total is a big diff.

thanks.

Last edited:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: Curious with the 50/55w ratings? Mine are advertised as 55w, but is that 50 or 55w? 10w total is a big diff.

thanks.

Hi Flash

Chinese ballasts are often rated by input while most EU/US ballasts are rated by output !

10% loss hence 55/50W labeling (In/Out)

I have seen some Chinese labeled 55W output but . . . who knows

Cheers
Pete

IcantC

Enlightened
This is a great mod! I was wondering if anyone tried it with the slim ballast HID kits available for cars?

They do not have spade connectors, they plug directly into bulb socket(H7 connector) and ballasts are very slim.

Downside it the 20 min runtime.