I have all the LEDs I need, except for UV

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
Actually I was thinking of changing the leds in my Lighthound from 395 to something like 365 nm. I've just taken it apart and it looks like a real easy DIY. All I need to do is find the bulbs. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Brento

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
Does this have a decent amount of throw. I'm told the Cree unit above has a little bit of throw to it. I would like to drop it into a camo minimag and use it for scorpion hunting. I'm wondering if a lower wavelength unit would work better though. And I know 5mm LED's aren't exactly designed for throw...

i did a review of the 9 led one here.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133045

overall it is pretty decent for a 9 led flashlight. i was planning on getting lighthound's 12 led until i found this one with a lower 380nm rating.

the throw is pretty good for indoors but outdoors is pretty crappy. but all short wavelength lights don't have much throw.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool chart. Experimenting tonight with the Lighthound 12-LED UV and the Terra insert in the MM2xAA, they seem to be different wavelengths...the Terra seems to show up things that are on the lower end of the chart better. But the Lighthound was $7 - I still think it's a great bargain (at least if the postage is "free" because you're ordering other things).

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
postalguy said:
That's the 395 nm wavelenght. It may be powerful, but not as useful as 380 nm.

Can you define "useful" for the rest of us? While lower wavelength may make certain things flouresce more, the Cree's 390nm is sufficient to make scorpions stand out. I also trust the Cree's. Most UV LED's in those 5mm packages don't last too long encased in epoxy. As little as 10 hours of use will noticeably diminish the output of one of these no-name cheapies. The only good ones I know of are in the Inova X5's.

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
CM said:
Can you define "useful" for the rest of us? While lower wavelength may make certain things flouresce more, the Cree's 390nm is sufficient to make scorpions stand out. I also trust the Cree's. Most UV LED's in those 5mm packages don't last too long encased in epoxy. As little as 10 hours of use will noticeably diminish the output of one of these no-name cheapies. The only good ones I know of are in the Inova X5's.

See the last part of my post above (#19) about the scorpions, and post #18 about the application chart.

Neither one of mine has leds encased in epoxy. As I said above, it looks like a real easy DIY to change out the leds to another wavelength. All it takes is a soldering iron.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc said:
I have big lights, small lights, all LEDs, but now I want an UV light.

Probably AA form factor. (Something carryable)

I have these, both black and grey/aluminum finishes. Works great for scorpions but our use is in fraud and identity. Use on immigration credentials, credit cards and new US currency. I know US Border Patrol agents that got these after seeing mine. I keep giving it up and having to buy me a new one.

We got them here.

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ultra-violet-torch-p-344.html

edit: forgot to mention I gotta passel of ankle biters with bad potty habits and this light is very useful in finding the "P" for house cleaning. I also just re-read the discussions on "useful" and "bang for bucks" . For $7 and change this is the ultimate cost efficiency. It has a bit of visible light but when held at waist level in effectively diminishes so as not to be a problem when looking for scorpions, I got more of those around the house than I want, so I have had the experience with this light.

I have been eyeballing and envious of the xenopuselectronix systems for some time and hope to get a model or two as they would be the best performers for my uses and cost enough I would not give them away. I would love to have their blood tracker, I think it is the best system of all the blood trackers I have seen and read about. The blinking idea is unique but it works. Who ever designs these has put some thought into the applications.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope someone makes a reasonably priced 2AA or 3AA UV LED....

Now it looks like my best best is the MiniMag Conversion.

taro68

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i have two UV flashlight: Inova X5MT-UV and NightCutter 5CSI: the 5CSI uses 375nm LEDs, while the X5 uses LEDs emitting around 400nm. But NighCutter is discontinued. I think that Mc Gizmo makes UV flashlight too.

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc said:
I hope someone makes a reasonably priced 2AA or 3AA UV LED....

Now it looks like my best best is the MiniMag Conversion.

Hello? Post 27 above is a $7.00 light. Three AAs

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM said:
Can you define "useful" for the rest of us? While lower wavelength may make certain things flouresce more, the Cree's 390nm is sufficient to make scorpions stand out.
Here's something to think about when considering how useful a UV light of one wavelength or another might be for a given task:
  • Will the wavelength in question cause the chosen target to floresce?
  • Will additional radiation in the visible spectrum make completing the task easier or harder?
The shorter the wavelength the less visible energy will be emmited. Perhaps in a lab or in your own home (where you know where all the furniture is) a shorter wavelength that just causes the target material to floresce might be better (less distracting) than a wavelength that also provides some visible illumination of the area.

On the other hand, if you need to walk around outside trying to use the light where there are rocks or other obstacles present it may be much better to select a wavelength that would cause the target material to floresce and still provide enough light in the visible spectrum so you don't have to keep switching on another light every few seconds to avoid tripping in the dark.

EDIT: If you decide to go the 'drop-in-module' route, resist the urge to add a UCL as it's been reported a number of times that the AR coatings on UCL's attenuate light in the UV range.

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Northern Lights said:
I have these, both black and grey/aluminum finishes. Works great for scorpions but our use is in fraud and identity. Use on immigration credentials, credit cards and new US currency. I know US Border Patrol agents that got these after seeing mine. I keep giving it up and having to buy me a new one.
- snip -

That's the same one that Lighthound is selling (for the same price, IIRC). Great service and wicked fast shipping from a good CPFer.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
EDIT: If you decide to go the 'drop-in-module' route, resist the urge to add a UCL as it's been reported a number of times that the AR coatings on UCL's attenuate light in the UV range.

Good points, and I believe the same is true of the stock plastic window. Better off removing them in my experience.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
srvctec said:
Ummm, looks like it says 3xAAA NOT three AAs.

Hello? I am so lost am I out there?? Anyone home? lights are on but....

The light is three AAAs. I re-read that post twice more this morning and I swear it said 3AAA not 3AA until the third read. That is one of those mind games.

I am sorry and apologize for any confusing I may have passed on.

Last edited:

Don_Redondo

Newly Enlightened
Don't know about that one but last year I picked up one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-UV-LED-Lase...5QQihZ006QQcategoryZ36112QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a 3-in-1 White light, UV, and Laser combo flashlight and it works great. The switch cycles through each mode one at a time. It is nice to have the option of white or UV – especially if you find something glowing – like a scorpion – and then want to watch it or squash it. The only problem for you is that it's another AAA light.

I did search and found a couple AA LED UV only lights – no combos – and this AA option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDHELD-UV-BLA...88QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1469QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a portable fluorescent UV light with a separate white light source. Fluorescent UVs generally have a broad spectrum and are very good for lighting up a lot of different items. Probably not much throw with this one – but it does use AAs. Just a thought.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want 380 nm LEDs and AA and under $20, $30 worst case if it's nice enough.

3AA would be nice. I really do not understand the fascination with these little AAA cells, their run time is pitiful, I guess they are great for tiny lights on your keychain, but for serious work, I want bigger. Even AA is just barely big enough, so that 3AA is acceptable.

Brightguy.com has a lot of UV lights, but they are all either AAA, or over $60.... I only need it for occasional use.

Inova has a UV it'is nice but it is expensive for occasional use and worse, uses these strange and expensive and not as readily available cells which I don't care for (Yeah, I do know this is not the place to talk like this, but I only have AA and D cells and that's it for simplicity's sake
Although I *might* get C some day)

Last edited:
You should also consider a fluorescent blacklight flashlight. I've seen one for $10 at Fred Meyer. It has a F4T5 fluorescent blacklight bulb, which gives off 365nm