I just had one of the most memorable father + son + flashlight moments...

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing.

My 2 yr old daughter has gotten used to my playing with lights and setting light down on a table in her room (of course rather than simply turning the lights on) during nighttime story time. She recently got a Dora pop-up book that came with a small flashlight with sound effects buttons. (I'm actually pretty impressed, for the $6 for the book and light it's a decent flashlight and has a soft click ON/OFF button that turns the light off after a minute or two if she doesn't) She now set her light next to mine when we start storytime.

And for all you guys out there who don't think you you can do bedtime, my wife has given up and handed bedtime over to me because I just have a knack for making it easy. (PS: I'll share a hint. Make bedtime fun and start the process 10-15 minutes before the point of no return. You know that point, where tired crankys kick in and screaming starts - it's like 10,000% easier if you put her to bed when she's still in a good mood)

samuraishot

Enlightened
Beautiful story.

:)

Great story... Now the the hard part what light is best suited for a child on Christmas morning?

That's an easy one, the brightest you can afford. If I got a HID spotlight for Christmas when I was little I'd have been chuffed to bits

+1 for sure!

Thanks for sharing.

My 2 yr old daughter has gotten used to my playing with lights and setting light down on a table in her room (of course rather than simply turning the lights on) during nighttime story time. She recently got a Dora pop-up book that came with a small flashlight with sound effects buttons. (I'm actually pretty impressed, for the $6 for the book and light it's a decent flashlight and has a soft click ON/OFF button that turns the light off after a minute or two if she doesn't) She now set her light next to mine when we start storytime.

And for all you guys out there who don't think you you can do bedtime, my wife has given up and handed bedtime over to me because I just have a knack for making it easy. (PS: I'll share a hint. Make bedtime fun and start the process 10-15 minutes before the point of no return. You know that point, where tired crankys kick in and screaming starts - it's like 10,000% easier if you put her to bed when she's still in a good mood)

Thanks for the tip, SOYCD! Bedtime duty hasn't been passed to me yet, but I'm sure that if it does, some of my lights (or his, since he'll want his own by then) will help out in the process. I was thinking of getting one of those Lego character ones that light up at the feet when lit.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
So my wife is a matron-of-honor for her friend's wedding tomorrow and she and the bridesmaids decided to stay overnight at the hotel where the ceremony is. This meant that she would leave me and our 1 1/2 year old son alone for the first time since he was born.

She left in the afternoon and I had to take him everywhere I went for the rest of the day and surprisingly he was pretty well behaved.

We got home quite late and I could tell he was getting sleepy so it was now for the hard part - putting him to bed. Usually we have a tough time getting him to sleep since he tries to fight his sleepiness and tries to stay up.

So now he's in his pajamas and I shut off the lights and click on my EDC to it's lowest setting, which is about .2 lumens and barely enough light to see anything, but has just enough light to cast a soft glow to wherever it's pointing. Now, like most of CPFers here whose children loves their flashaholic dad's (and mom's) lights, my son loves messing with my lights.

So I hand him my light and next comes the most awesome 10 minutes. He takes my light and slowly scans the entire bedroom with it. He would point it to his hand and 'examine' his hand. He pointed it to my face and just stared at me. He was observing everything with the light. It's hard to explain, but for some odd reason it was so surreal seeing my son, as young as he is, so extremely observant and calm just looking at things with the flashlight.

After about 10 minutes he then extended his arm and pointed the light to the bed and slowly (about 20-30 seconds) started to bring the bezel down until it was face down on the bed and the room was pitch black. He had fallen asleep with my flashlight in his hand.

This may sound corny, but I will never forget that moment. Just wanted to share this with everyone.

I can see it now. "Most awsome 10 minutes" EVER. Old human illuminated by young human. What a profound moment. :wave: Thanks for sharing. :)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife put a set of glow in the dark stars, moons, and planets on one wall of my 3-year-old's room. A couple of weeks ago, I showed him how he could charge a sticker by shining his flashlight on it.

The other night after turning off the light but before climbing into bed, he got all excited and was like "Daddy! Watch this!" and then proceeded to take his flashlight and draw a smiley face on a planet.

--flatline

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story.
I see others posted that they have glow in the dark stars & moons on the ceiling. We had these for our daughter when she was younger. I was happy when she moved into her Universty dorm a couple weeks ago, and noticed that a prior tenant had left the GITD stars on the ceiling.
BTW, she wanted to take a T1A with her. She thought the Haiku was a bit too much for campus.

samuraishot

Enlightened
My wife put a set of glow in the dark stars, moons, and planets on one wall of my 3-year-old's room. A couple of weeks ago, I showed him how he could charge a sticker by shining his flashlight on it.

The other night after turning off the light but before climbing into bed, he got all excited and was like "Daddy! Watch this!" and then proceeded to take his flashlight and draw a smiley face on a planet.

--flatline

Hey that's not a bad idea and it sounds fun too! My wife always liked the idea of putting of stars, but charging them up with a flashlight didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it. Thanks!

Great story.
I see others posted that they have glow in the dark stars & moons on the ceiling. We had these for our daughter when she was younger. I was happy when she moved into her Universty dorm a couple weeks ago, and noticed that a prior tenant had left the GITD stars on the ceiling.
BTW, she wanted to take a T1A with her. She thought the Haiku was a bit too much for campus.

She chose the T1A over the Haiku?! At least you get to keep the Haiku for yourself though :) I've got an Arc aaa-p & some QTC on the way over that I was planning to use as a keychain light, but now maybe I'll let my little one have it to play around with.

Last edited:

samuraishot

Enlightened
Hey CPF. Happy belated Father's Day to all dads! Just wanted to revive this very personal post of mine that happened about a decade ago. My son in the story is now 10 and he now has two brothers. Time sure does fly! I never realized how truly meaningful the moment was until I read the story to him, and I'm glad I posted this to be able to do that. I still have the same light, too!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only just discovered your thread, how nice for you to be able to post an update.
I can remember doing extly the same thing when I was his age, your story even brought back the sense of wonder that I felt.
Thank you.
P

jrgold

Enlightened
I absolutely love all the memories in this post. All my kids share my love for flashlights, but my 9 year old son is drawn to them almost as much as I am. We also both share a love for star wars. Last week I ordered him a green osram acebeam e10 (he is very responsible and careful with them), and I ordered myself a red one. Can't wait to go out on a foggy night and have a Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader lightsaber battle together [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samuraishot

Enlightened
I've only just discovered your thread, how nice for you to be able to post an update.
I can remember doing extly the same thing when I was his age, your story even brought back the sense of wonder that I felt.
Thank you.
P
Glad it had that effect [emoji4]
I absolutely love all the memories in this post. All my kids share my love for flashlights, but my 9 year old son is drawn to them almost as much as I am. We also both share a love for star wars. Last week I ordered him a green osram acebeam e10 (he is very responsible and careful with them), and I ordered myself a red one. Can't wait to go out on a foggy night and have a Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader lightsaber battle together [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a pretty awesome idea, thank you for sharing!

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Daw, what a sweet story :clap: I'm sure your little guy will remember this as well, even if only in his subconscious. Not just because of the bonding time but because from your description, it was a totally new learning experience for him.