I need to upgrade 2D cell Maglite to led

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice and you've given me a lot to consider.

To answer the question; yes, it would be cheaper simply to buy a new one but I hate to throw the old Maglite out. Additionally, to much brightness isn't necessarily a good thing (pardon me if I blasphemed). For outside work my 625 l Maglite is great, really reaches out, but indoors it's way to bright IMO.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
An frosted lens might make the Mag more useful indoors even with the modest TerraLUX. You could try putting something like Glad press and seal plastic wrap over the existing lens to get an idea of the effect.

I rather like the old Mags even with modest output drop-ins like the TerraLUX or a Nite -Ize. They are solid reliable lights and make a worthwhile addition to emergency kits for the home or car. AA to D battery adapters are a must for me so I can use Energizer lithiums or Eneloops in place of leaky alkaline Ds. Single battery adapters greatly decrease the weight and 3XAA parallel adapters allow for increased run-time.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
An frosted lens might make the Mag more useful indoors even with the modest TerraLUX. You could try putting something like Glad press and seal plastic wrap over the existing lens to get an idea of the effect.

I rather like the old Mags even with modest output drop-ins like the TerraLUX or a Nite -Ize. They are solid reliable lights and make a worthwhile addition to emergency kits for the home or car. AA to D battery adapters are a must for me so I can use Energizer lithiums or Eneloops in place of leaky alkaline Ds. Single battery adapters greatly decrease the weight and 3XAA parallel adapters allow for increased run-time.

Who makes a reliable adapter these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few of Malkoff's Maglite drop ins in all of the flavors. They are top notch and I really like them. Honestly though I find the best bang for the buck is the warm PR based drop ins and a Kai Domain MOP reflector. For about $20 you'll have an awesome light with a much much cleaner beam than any new Mag. Maybe not as bright at only 120 lumens but I find that to be the perfect amount for most situations. I very rarely if ever find a use for more than that and I'm doing a lot of off-roading, camping, night hiking, etc.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few of Malkoff's Maglite drop ins in all of the flavors. They are top notch and I really like them. Honestly though I find the best bang for the buck is the warm PR based drop ins and a Kai Domain MOP reflector. For about $20 you'll have an awesome light with a much much cleaner beam than any new Mag. Maybe not as bright at only 120 lumens but I find that to be the perfect amount for most situations. I very rarely if ever find a use for more than that and I'm doing a lot of off-roading, camping, night hiking, etc.

Which drop ins are you using?

kilogulf59

Enlightened
I know for a fact that I replied to this yesterday. My post was either deleted for some reason or vanished somehow :confused:...anyway, thanks ZMZ67 for the advice, I'll try that.

For some reason I do too ZMZ67, I think, for me, it's the feel of the light. I/we also use the 3XAA parallel adapters for our vehicle lights and for the exact same reasons.

Like I said I'm using a 200 lumen TerraLUX Maglite emitter for my 2-D cell unit and I wasn't really overly impressed LiftdT4R. Maybe I'm just used to the brighter lights I have and this seems dim by comparison? Any-who you're speakin' Greek to me here; "PR based drop ins and a Kai Domain MOP reflector". Can you explain further? As well, which Malkoff Devices do you use?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A Maglite bulb is a PR base bulb. Used to be bulbs were 10mm screw in called E10 (e for edison) and you twisted it in to your favorite point for best beam.

Around WW2 time Eveready devised a pre-focused "drop in" base and called it PR. Cars used a "bayonet" which was a PR base with studs so you could press it into a spring loaded bulb retainer and it would stay fastened while jostling around in an automobile.

A PR LED is a light bulb shaped base that "drops in" to the Maglite or other bulb holder. Later came bi-pin bulbs in Maglites.

MOP means medium orange peel. LOP is light orange peel. Orange peel refers to texture added to flashlight reflectors to help remove the ugly rings and/or filament shadows from the light beam.

Years ago folks built really bright Maglites and used custom alluminum reflectors since really bright bulbs melted the factory plastic kind. Kaidoman still makes them. They come with a removable cam for Maglites. The cam is the slanted protruding piece that causes a Maglite beam to focus one way or the other.

History lesson over, now back to our thread.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which drop ins are you using?

I've been using these for my less expensive builds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JHVY7PJ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

They have a very nice 3000K warm tint but only make 120 lumens or so. They look great when paired with a KAI Domain MOP reflector.

Sorry kilogulf, I missed the part about 200 lumens not being enough. You likely will not be impressed by one of these. I'll be honest I was very disappointed with the Malkoff 2D drop in I had. The run times were not good, it seemed like the light would only run for an hour or so on NiMH batteries. Their other drop ins are fantastic. I'm not certain what else is out there for a 2D that's really bright unless you convert the light to a Lithium Ion battery setup which it doesn't sound like you're interested in doing.

It sounds like your best financial bet is a new light. If you're attached to the light I do build 3 mode drop ins that are good for up to 800 lumens or so on a 2D. The downside is I need the whole light to build them as I have to solder contacts onto the switch so it gets a little pricey. I've done a handful so far for other collectors mostly and I've been using one daily for 6 months now.

http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2019/01/ultimate-maglite-restomod.html

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who makes a reliable adapter these days?

I am using various low cost adapters mostly purchased on Amazon. The single cell adapters that come with eneloops are probably a bit better than the other single cell models I use.The parallel adapters are just no-names but seem to work OK.Sometimes you can run into problems with the adapters making proper contact but there is usually a fairly easy work around,like bending the tail cap spring.

I don't know if there are any better grade adapters available anywhere that are more substantial but at least the ones I have are cheap to replace if they get lost or break.

fmc1

Enlightened
I'm going to drop a vote for the adventure sport set up. Mainly because of the flexibility of the driver that allows you multiple mode options. 24 options if I remember correctly.

Permit me to give you a recent 2D Maglite story. About a month ago I was with one of my nephews and one of my grandsons both around 13 years old. They were cleaning out an old shed at my sister's beach house. They came across an old tackle box of mine. It was sitting there for minimum 10 years unopened. I forgot I even had it. When the kids opened It up there was a Maglite 2D inside. My nephew picked it up and clicked it on and it worked although he could not see it right away in bright sun light. He showed to me and yes it was on. I opened it up and saw 2 Eneloop batteries with the crown on the label, inside 2 non screw on type AA to D adapters. These are some of the first Eneloops that I ever bought.

I gave them a quick history lesson about Maglite 2D's focusing on reliability which they saw firsthand and then I told them that we can bring it into 2019 specs, they seemed Interested. I ordered the 5K adventure sport kit and Orbtronic 26650 button tops. I let them build it. They did it and I'm waiting to see how long the novelty will last before it wears off or they like It and I need to buy another setup so they both have one.

Frank

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Thank you LiftdT4R. The 200 lumens just seems dim to me but I don't have another 200 lumen unit to compare it with. I recall getting this light new, back in the early 80's, and thinking it was a laser beam death ray compared to the old tin Eveready 2D I was using. According to Maglite's site, the incan 2D's put out only 27 lumens. I don't know, can emitters weaken or get dim? I was under the impression they either work or they don't.

Oh and very interesting and in-depth blog, thanks.

Interesting Frank...after 10-years and still going.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kilogulf,

With the drop in in the vid I posted on the last page,(https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vydE4aPAw-k) Matt got 110 measured lumens with the 2 cell adapter running in a 2D Mag vs 276 lumens for the 3 to 6 cell adapter, he has beam shots to give an idea how bright they are in use. I have one of the 3 to 6 cell adapters for my old 4D mag and I am pleased with the brightness level. I have also run this adapter in a 2D Mag running on an 18650 in an adapter and it runs fine as well. Another option, since this drop-in will handle 6 cells, is to use 3 AA to D cell Series adapters (which triple the Voltage).

Not sure what the actual out the front lumens you are getting with the Terralux adapter, I wonder if anyone has measured it?

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Interesting and at least he's honest about the merchandise he sells and doesn't simply publish the manufacturer's specs. It's hard to judge but I'd say my 2D is not as bright as his. I don't recall if he mentioned using a glass lens or a different reflector?

For now, it's been relegated to garrison duty as a "just in case the power goes out" light. I have several of these stashed throughout the house that will enable us to get to our headlamps and good lights. This was a use I found for the three or four old incan 2D lights I had as well. I bought new bulbs for them, put Energizer Industrial EN95 batteries in them and place them about the house...and there they sit. I do check them and the batteries periodically.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey LiftdT4r, any leads on other warm dropins like that but with LOWER output? I'd like the warmth but would rather long runtime than brightness.
I've been using these for my less expensive builds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JHVY7PJ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

They have a very nice 3000K warm tint but only make 120 lumens or so. They look great when paired with a KAI Domain MOP reflector.

Sorry kilogulf, I missed the part about 200 lumens not being enough. You likely will not be impressed by one of these. I'll be honest I was very disappointed with the Malkoff 2D drop in I had. The run times were not good, it seemed like the light would only run for an hour or so on NiMH batteries. Their other drop ins are fantastic. I'm not certain what else is out there for a 2D that's really bright unless you convert the light to a Lithium Ion battery setup which it doesn't sound like you're interested in doing.

It sounds like your best financial bet is a new light. If you're attached to the light I do build 3 mode drop ins that are good for up to 800 lumens or so on a 2D. The downside is I need the whole light to build them as I have to solder contacts onto the switch so it gets a little pricey. I've done a handful so far for other collectors mostly and I've been using one daily for 6 months now.

http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2019/01/ultimate-maglite-restomod.html

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found this thread while searching for an LED upgrade for a near mint condition red anodize 2D circa 1990 vintage. I have one small thing to add to this conversation: I do NOT recommend the LudoPam Maglite LED Bulb CREE XP-G3 Upgrade Conversion Kit sold on Amazon. I was suckered by the name "Cree." I've never seen a beam that yellow-green in my life! It was lemon-lime!! Had to return it. (In addition, something wonky with the way the connection was made; the light would blink during focus and a number of reviewers mentioned this.)

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at adventure sport flashlight. Matt Smith makes some very good mag led upgrades.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at adventure sport flashlight. Matt Smith makes some very good mag led upgrades.

I've been checking the Firefly 2D, it's "factory rated" at 280 lumens but only throws 110 lumens with 2D by Adventure's testing. I keep wondering if that's worth the effort. The other Adventure options are for 3D and over.

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been checking the Firefly 2D, it's "factory rated" at 280 lumens but only throws 110 lumens with 2D by Adventure's testing. I keep wondering if that's worth the effort. The other Adventure options are for 3D and over.
I wouldn't be satisfied with 110 lumens. But then again I live in a remote area.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk