I should have listened, LED just wont cut it

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once saw that someone makes a P60 type replacement pill that has red green or blue 3 watt LEDs in them but I have not seen any one selling them to the US market. I would love to get red, green or blue, drop in pills ready to go. Does some one know where to get these? This would be for a 6P or Solarforce L2 type host.

I have an excellent 3 watt green LED flashlight that I built, but I use Blue and need better blue flashlight for work, and I would like a red also.

Dalork do you really need red? A green filter over a white LED would go further.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incan with filter all the way. A D26 reflector can only do so much. An M3T, or M4 and the appropriate LF LA will accomodate your RCR123A cells and give you good throw.

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone once again for all the helpful input. I'm looking at and giving all alot of thought. The short term I'll just throw a higher lumen 9v incan in but in the long term I'd like to perfect a good working set-up. I know other people would find it helpful also. The problem is whatever bulb or emitter is used the flashlight body and the type of battery used needs to be the same.

The flashlight used needs to have a 25mm (1inch) body and a 32mm head/bezel (only if incan so filter can be used) and take a surefire 6P type tailcap/clickie switch so our pressure switches will fit and take 123A 3.7v batteries. it can be either 2 or 3 of these batteries. Heat doesn't matter too much as use is only in the seconds.

Colour does need to be red and the beam needs to be pretty tight/spotty. Up untill now most folks use the SF 6P with a min of 160 lumen incan and then the red filter but this is far from perfect. The out-put is too low passed 30meters and the beam has alot of spill.

To give you an idea of the intended use the flashlight is mounted to a rilfe and used to spot small feral birds/critters at a distance of between 15-50 meters.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
+1 to the incan.

Incans have neglectable blue and green in their spectrum anyways, so a red filter will keep 90% of the light :D

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
Incan with filter all the way. A D26 reflector can only do so much. An M3T, or M4 and the appropriate LF LA will accomodate your RCR123A cells and give you good throw.

Are the M3 & M4 a much better throwing/spotty type reflector ? The bezel/head on those seems to be getting a little big is my concern. Spill isn't that big of a issue, just getting enough light (red) to see the target at a distance is the biggest problem. I'm thinking a modded D26 drop-in LED LA is the cheapest/easiest sollution, not perfect but will most likely be most cost effective.

I'll just have to read and learn more I think so I can work out what I need and how to do it and have a go at it.

edit: actually a higher out-put d26 incan that can run off 2 x 3.7v 123's is most likely the cheapest sollution. Would the heat from a HO-9 or EO-9 when only used for less than 1min be a problem I wonder ? Surely they would have to have ample out-put and would drop in and run off the 2 x 3.7v batteries

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M4 has a turbohead which will be throwier than a stock M3. It's pretty big though compared to the 2 cell lights. Go ahead and do an incan for now, but I realy do suggest seeing of someone can put together a red cree P60 dropin for you.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the M3 & M4 a much better throwing/spotty type reflector?
See Beamshots: 1S vs. EO-9 vs. MN16 vs. MN21. The MN16 and MN21 were hosted in an M4 off 2x18650, the EO-9 was hosted in a LeefBody off 2x18650. The 1S R2 was out of a SMO and is one of the furthest throwing D26 modules available. A D26 module, red or otherwise, is definitely not your answer at 100 yards. Although you specified 30 meters, I will continue to argue that a red LED is not your best bet answer. The HO-9 and EO-9 are actually quite floody. The M4 + 1111 + filter is my suggestion to you. See Beamshots: 1111 vs. MN21 vs. MN61 vs. 1185 and notice how much tighter the 1111 is than the MN21 (and MN16, for that matter). The M4 is the basis of the SureFire M98 Universal WeaponLight, which attaches to a standard pic rail via an A.R.M.S lever, or thumbscrew mount.

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
That would be great except for the fact that we're not mounting to a picatinny or RIS rail, we have a custom made scope/flashlight mount that is already in use which takes a SF 6P body size

I must say I do like your suggestion though, that is a tight throw for the distance and a good distance at that. I'm certain that would be bright enough even with the filter in-place. Just not sure it would work with the current mount set-up, certainly worth further thought/looking into as a more permanent sultion.

Last edited: