I was almost swarm attack by teenagers tonight !!

luigi

Enlightened
Just forget it.
Camping there, taking pictures... you can get in trouble and get hurt, maybe you get away the first time but not the second. The kids might have a knife or a bigger brother with a gun. You did the #1 recommendation for any civilian out there: avoid confrontation.
My only advice would be to always identify open stores or run-away paths when you are going through a dangerous area, make sure the restaurant is open and you have a safe exit next time too.
And I'm very happy you got away, well done Picard!

Luigi

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are as many theories of self defense as there are posters.

Here's what I think. Do whatever will get you out of a situation with the least harm to you.

A knife, plier, screwdriver require you to close with the attacker. Unless you are well trained and have the appropriate mindset, which is very rare in a non-professional (practiced and experienced LEO, soldier, etc), you will most certainly be hurt.

A combat stick (not a specific kind of stick, but a cane, umbrella, hiking staff used as a weapon), professional quality pepper spray (with which you've trained and practiced), or taser will allow you to react from a distance and escape.

A firearm is the ultimate protection. BUT you must have the will and ability to use it. If you do not, you're far better off without it. If you do use a firearm, you will most likely be prosecuted no matter the circumstances and will most certainly be sued in civil court. Your life will change - socially, emotionally, financially. It may change a little or a lot. But it will change. (But you will also be alive to experience the change.)

Living in Canada, your options are extremely limited. As I understand your laws, any object used in your defense is then considered a weapon. Obviously a firearm or pepper spray is out (but can't you carry pepper spray if it's labeled for "Bear Protection"?)

This may sound strange coming from a native Texan whose nickname fits - but the best thing to do is avoid a confrontation or flee if possible. The one with the least damage is the ultimate winner.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you someone who wouldn't look out of place with a walking stick? You can do a number on an attacker with a good one. A fellow in his 60s was jumped in a mall by some big punk. Got decently beat up, but he basically ruined the attacker's knee joint with one swing from a blackthorn stick.

Duncan

Newly Enlightened
BIGIRON said:
There are as many theories of self defense as there are posters.

Here's what I think. Do whatever will get you out of a situation with the least harm to you.

Living in Canada, your options are extremely limited. As I understand your laws, any object used in your defense is then considered a weapon. Obviously a firearm or pepper spray is out (but can't you carry pepper spray if it's labeled for "Bear Protection"?)

This may sound strange coming from a native Texan whose nickname fits - but the best thing to do is avoid a confrontation or flee if possible. The one with the least damage is the ultimate winner.

Great advice. On another note - from what I've read, if you are in a public place and get into a fight, you should make every attempt to state your intentions at removing yourself from the situation first if possible. I've heard that the "fence" position is a good strategy. Raise your hands (palms forward) in between you and your attacker. That way you can block any movements they make towards you, and while doing so it is a very non-threatening position to maintain, something bystanders will remember. Also, repeatedly say stuff like "I don't want any trouble...I don't want to fight etc." while defusing the situation. That way if anything (God forbid) happens to escalate the situation and there are witnesses they are sure to know that you were attempting to avoid the fight.

As far as legality goes in Canada, I think (don't quote me on this...I'm no expert), that we work on a force-escalation principle. So if someone comes at you with a boxing glove on, you don't have justification to shoot them. As well, in self-defense it's also about how far you take things. There was a case I read about where a man was confronted with an irate ex-roommate and the situation unfortunately got ugly. The man defended himself with a knife, but after the other person ran away he ran after him and struck him several more times. He probably shouldn't have done that...if I recall he barely escaped conviction for murder. As well, you are severely limited in Canada for what you can carry. This is a good link for Canadians: http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/canada.html

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just forget it.
Camping there, taking pictures... you can get in trouble and get hurt, maybe you get away the first time but not the second. The kids might have a knife or a bigger brother with a gun. You did the #1 recommendation for any civilian out there: avoid confrontation.
My only advice would be to always identify open stores or run-away paths when you are going through a dangerous area, make sure the restaurant is open and you have a safe exit next time too.
And I'm very happy you got away, well done Picard!
I too am happy that you are well. I am not happy that this type of expected response is all that thugs need to continue their rampage. What ever happend to "Land of the free"? We are no longer free, but rather victims of criminals, and expected to retreat from them. If one is not equiped, or prepared to deal with a threat, and excavating yourself from it is your mode of self preservation great. But if a BG wants to bring a fight to my doorstep, I should not be unduly influenced to run from him. Which, by the way, is the standard of society today. Just ask a cop. Whatever happened?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz

"Bernhard / Bernie / Bernard Hugo Goetz (born 1947 in Kew Gardens, Queens, New York) was dubbed by the New York press as the "Subway Vigilante." He became a symbol of New Yorkers' frustrations with high crime rates after he shot four young men on the Seventh Avenue #2 express subway train in Manhattan in 1984."

Interesting page...

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar said:
There's one thing my father told me over 30-years ago, that I've abided by all of this time and that is never ever lift a knife or gun to someone, unless you have intentions of using it. If it gets to the point where you raise the knife to protect yourself, you damn well better induce injuries to the perpetrator.

your pops has a darn good point.

-David

Navck

Enlightened
TAZER THEM:xyxgun:
They must be the same punk kids I deal with at my school, I get spit on every single day, and these people need a proper lesson that they CAN'T GET AWAY with what they do.
Or whack them with the umbrella, miniHID, or bring a MAG 6D. Your preference.

NickelPlate

Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:
There's one thing my father told me over 30-years ago, that I've abided by all of this time and that is never ever lift a knife or gun to someone, unless you have intentions of using it. If it gets to the point where you raise the knife to protect yourself, you damn well better induce injuries to the perpetrator.

I don't know that I agree with that completely. Just the sight of a menacing knife or weapon can send the message to the would be assailant that his victim is prepared to defend him/herself and they'll start to question their own safety.

Alot of muggers, thieves and such are looking for easy targets and are out to commit their crimes quickly, painlessly (to themselves) and with minimum effort. They might think twice if you pull out a knife, pepper spray and/or stun gun and move on to another victim. Then again, it could backfire and make them more angry.

The bottom line is there are no guarantees in such situations and you can't possibly predict what will happen. Be prepared, do what you feel is right and have plan and backup plan. Do that and you'll be in reasonably good shape. At the very least you won't be an easy target.

Dave

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen pepper spray mentioned yet...
even if it's not legal in Canada at least it isn't a deadly weapon..
I suggest the sputter-stream type, not the fog which can backfire if the wind kicks up..Fox is the best brand I think..maybe with a little dye marker mixed in for the line up...

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT said:
How about a Lawsuit ($$$) and a restraining order? Do you think it would work?

AlexGT

A lawsuit can only be file in court if I know the name of assailants. A lawsuit is used for repeated attacks by assailants. If I knew their name, I would have given it to police so they could arrest those *******s.

WNG

Enlightened
I hate to read threads like these, of victimized people by the hands of thugs and degenerates. They exist in every corner of the planet.

Given your location and laws, a strong walking stick is my choice. Have one customized for self defense. Have a nice sized ball shape at one end, or perhaps topped with a MOMO shift knob. This makes it comfortable to hold and prevent slipping out of your hands if swinging or being grabbed from you.
The shaft should be smooth, so that an assailant has trouble gripping it.
The bottom end should be blunt metal tipped, stainless steel for rust resistance and weighted enough to deliver a painful blow, but not shatter skulls.
Also, the steel tip should be at least 4" long with a burred finish. This way, when they try to grab it from you, you pull from your end, their hands slip down and rip their skin against it.

I also like the idea of having some sort of streaming dye/paint spray to mark them. Preferably their faces. Hard to wash off, easy for cops to identify a bright orange or purple faced thug.

RCatR

Enlightened
Stake 'em out, I'm 18, they WILL return to the area(people my age are usually retarded enouigh to come back)

If you get engauged in a fight, try not to kill any of them, it looks bad on your record.

Raven

Enlightened
Any combination of these things.

move to a better part of town
get a concealed carry permit
don't leave your home at night unless it is important
drive everywhere
start lifting weights
learn martial arts

Good luck!

Oh, and always assume any attacker has a knife or a gun, so you won't be surprised.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
we need more victems rights .these storys always **** me off causse them jerks always get away with stuff

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a tough situation to be in but ultimately I would much rather be prosecuted for carrying a gun then be died so I might consider carrying a gun. You wouldn't be prosecuted unless you have to use it and then in that case you would have been in a life or death situation. The way I see it is the government is more then welcome to provide reasonable security to keep you out of having to make that choice but if the government can't then you owe it to your family to pack if you feel your in a area that this can happen again. Can you not get a permit carry? I would do everything legally first.