I'm less than happy with Cree based lights

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
I've got an L1D CE and love it. It's so much brighter than my L1T and the interface is good. An OP reflector and it would be perfect.

I've ordered the L2D tube and I'm looking forward to more throw :D and more light
L2DCE owners: Will I be pleased? :)

Oh... I just tried the Scotch Tape (tm) method for flood and it's cool... no hotspot and the light gets spread out surprisingly evenly. No rings or doughnut holes either.

Hate to add fuel to fire, but I was really surprised to read that the runtime charts on Flashlighreviews for L2DCE were "dismal".

86 hours on not-so-low low and 2 hours on max is dismal?? :huh2:

Last edited:

Gator762

Enlightened
Not to sidetrack the thread, but you should be pleased with the L2D tube. I did the same thing, I got the L1D CE first.

The turbo you're used to isn't much higher than high... Wait till you see turbo with the new tube. :D

Back to the thread, I just put a piece of scotch tape on the L2D CE and was surprised just how well it worked... Nice flood.

daveman

Enlightened
Daveman said:
A lot of inchoherent posts in this thread. Maybe the original posters should explain the points I highlighted above, just so no noob would be confused when he reads this thread.

... I guess this thread was more of a drive by shooting than a valid complaint.

Drew

Newly Enlightened
I have to start by saying: I love my Fenix L2D. I haven't left home without it one single time since I got it last month. I use it constantly at work. I like the fact that it has a throwy hotspot. I also find that it has plenty of spillbeam for my needs. That includes close up work many times. I use NiMh and the light gives super run times with them. I find myself using the lowest two modes more often than Turbo. However when I need to see something at a distance the option is there with a twist of the head. I also like the strobe mode if just for the heck of it. I really don't think Fenix could have done a better job with the UI. At the most basic level you can use it just like the L1T/L2T(high/Low) and ignore the other modes. Sure you can spend more money and get a better light. For my EDC the L2D is perfect for me.
:touche:

carrot

Flashaholic
Lobo said:
Well, I dont want to state the obvious here, but that's why you have multiple output. :whistle:
Which IMHO is almost a must on LEDs that are as bright as crees. On medium on L1D you get five and and half hours ruler flat regulation to 50% and slighty brighter than the L1P. What more could you ask for?
And 2hours on max/turbo on LxD is far from 30min. But youre maybe refering to other lights.
I do understand your point though. Simple straight forward lights like the L1P seems like a thing of the past. And I didnt even know there were multilevel lights or apreciated the need for it (and perhaps dont REALLY need it now either) before joining CPF. Those days just something that shined up my surroundings was enough. So I guess there are plenty of people who would love a L1P Cree with only extended runtime.
There are plenty of people who do like single stage lights, and those who actually prefer it. I like my lights to be as simple and straightforward as possible. I have seen requests on other forums for an L2T-CE instead of the almost equivalent L2D-CE because the L2D has a more complicated interface. I like the L1P because it is extremely simple and straightforward, making it an ideal platform for modders, and a no-brainer to use. It's also the right brightness for most tasks.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
There are plenty of people who do like single stage lights, and those who actually prefer it. I like my lights to be as simple and straightforward as possible. I have seen requests on other forums for an L2T-CE instead of the almost equivalent L2D-CE because the L2D has a more complicated interface. I like the L1P because it is extremely simple and straightforward, making it an ideal platform for modders, and a no-brainer to use. It's also the right brightness for most tasks.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, since I'm one of them who would love a just two-stage L2D. IMHO, Fenix has gone a little overboard lately with all the different modes. But I would prefer at least two levels of light in this type of light, since they have the ability to be very bright which sometimes is needed, and sometimes not. But again, I understand the demand of a simple straight forward single stage cree/seoul. The new AA Huntligth (can never remember the number) might be of interest to you.

Gator762

Enlightened
Carrot and Lobo - do you guys have the Fenix CREE editions?

They are very simple to operate between the max (turbo) and minimum settings. The additional UI is only a bonus. For your desired operation, simply click the switch fully for a power switch only, and twist the bezel for output. Very simple and straightforward.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I know. The UI is a breeze compared to most multimode lights, but still, since I use my lights quite often for signaling, I would have prefered only 2 modes (with a momentary one as long as I'm making a wish list), low and turbo, chosen by bezel twist. As it is now, I end up in different modes, not to mention strobe or SOS when I tap to fast. Other than that, lovely light.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
+1

I will take a single-stage everytime I get the chance. 2 stages = maximum for me. And they absolutly must be a clickie.

LED Cool

Enlightened
for those who prefer a no flickering AAA EDC light, try the LiteFlux LF2.
guarantee no flickering from 0.2% to 100% output. it is a 2 stage output CREE based AAA light. LF2 spill beam is definitely brighter than my LOP SE.

simple to operate.
twist 1/4 turn (position P1) is 1st stage output (15% default),
twist another 1/4 turn (position P2) is 2nd stage output (50% default).
tighten is OFF.

you can define the brightness of the 2 stage output using the programming features. that means you can set your LF2 to turn on first at whatever level you prefered.
eg. turn on at vey low (1-15%) then high (70-100%) OR
turn on at high (100%) then very low(3%).

comes with battery voltage indicator and NIMH & Li-Ion overdischarge protection (with low battery warning). and a screw on diffuser for area lighting.

khoo

wjb3

Newly Enlightened
Al_Havemann said:
And I hate the beam; in an effort to get maximum throw and a flawless spot, nearly all useful side spill has been sacrificed. I have to point it like a laser beam and then I get a useless blinding spot. It's a good throw light, that's for sure, but not at all useful for close work on any mode.

When shined on the dumpster in the backyard, the Fenix L2D CE beam seems to be similar to the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon (SL PP 4AA Luxeon), the Mag 3W 3 D-cell on tight focus, and the Princeton Tec Surge on tight focus. I would like most fixed focus lights better if I could swap out reflectors "on the fly". Currently I carry a UK4AA-ASLED for indoor work, a SL PP 4AA Luxeon for outdoor work (L2D CE is replacing), and a Princeton Tec Apex for a headlamp.

-wjb

Last edited:

Mike89

Enlightened
Man what a difference a little time will do. Not terribly too long ago there were so many people on this forum that would give up their newborn for a cree. Heh heh.

Flash forward a short time and now (in this thread at least) it has been relegated to ho hum. Sometimes I think many people take their flashlight hobby a bit too seriously.

I disagree with just about everything the first poster said about the P1D CE and the L2D CE. I also have them both. As far as general light output, they both give me absolutely everything I need for any use that I have. The only thing I could possibly say about them is I'm not particularly crazy about the twist head on the P1D CE. I would much rather it was set up just like the L2D CE (and I could do without all the modes, high and low is all I need). As far as the L2D CE being butt ugly. I think it looks pretty cool myself.

As someone said, there sure is no one size fits all. Flashlights are like women, what's a dog to one is a beauty to another. So many factors involved in choices, personal perceptions and preferences of light, uses, size, appearance, price, runtime, and on and on and on. No two people will see the same thing in the same light.

It's why I always tell someone that's looking for a light. Check it out yourself and don't make any decisions on what other people tell you from what "they" see. What they see will most likely not be what you see.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefier a 1 or 2 level light. I never find myself using the mid levels. Either I want as much light as possible, or very little light.

Robban

Enlightened
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed with the L2D. I can't judge the output since I've only tested it with well used alkies. But the light itself is just... bad IMHO. First of all, it's ugly, I knew this ahead of time of course and it's highly subjective. All the same, it IS ugly.

And then there's the switch... Worst switch I've experienced thus far. Granted I've only gone through about 20 lights which is a pretty low number compared to a lot of you guys. But I just hated it from the moment I picked it up. Heck even the super cheap MXDL I got a few years back has a more solid switch and I payed something like 10 bucks for that thing. The switch on the L2D just feels incredibly cheap. The first few times I used it the switch was sticking, not a good first sign. Then we have the tapping action. This thing is close to being psychic since it seems I only need to think about tapping the button and it switches modes. It takes much less than a millimeter of travel for it to switch modes. And what's worse, tap it just a wee bit too hard and it clicks off altogether.

Also, a sticky switch cover, what's up with that?

After all the raving about this light I'm horribly dissapointed to be honest with the biggest dissapointment being the flakey switch. Not sure what I'll do with it but it will not be used by me, that's for sure.

Drew

Newly Enlightened
Robban said:
. Not sure what I'll do with it but it will not be used by me, that's for sure.

Some of the issues with your L2D sound abnormal to me. You may need to see if you can trade it for another. After that if you still don't like it, return it for a refund or list it in the B/S/T area. I am sure if it is in like new condition you can get most of your money back.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Cree's. Pretty much happy with them. Love the A19 but will make it
2 stage. Same with my D-mini, 2stage is enough for me. Looking hard at a T5 in a few
months. Only one I am somewhat disappointed with is my L1D-CE but even that is
the beam is less than perfect but I loosened the bezel and that cured most of it. I
would like to try a LF1 with the big head and a cree, but a seoul might be better. A
2 stage C-LE w locator beacon would be nice for pocket carry. Several of my Lux
light's are just fine unmodded for me, ION, Aleph, JIL, HDS etc.

Databyter

Enlightened
I have a P1D-CE light and I use it for everything I need a light for just about because it's small and efficient..

It provides good light outside on pitch dark nights both near and far.

It is also excellent light indoors and I really don't analyze the sidespill much I just know it provides a nice light right where I need it.

Last night I went to check on a neighbors cats because he is out of town. I couldn't find the darn light switches in his dungeon of an apartment but putting the P1D-CE on a table on it's but cap at the lowest setting lit the whole room wonderfully for the 20 minutes it took me to find which cabinet the cat food was in and get ehm water.

I realize that most of you are far more expert than I at analyzing the perfection of beams..but lets not forget how far we have come.

Here is a light that is tremendously bright not just for it's size but in general.

A light whose battery lasts seemingly forever if you don't require the brightest setting ( I only use it to dazzle other nerds).

A light that fits into your front shirt pocket and comfortably so.

Cree Rocks, Digital COntrol Rocks, a light you can sit on it's butt on a table and use for a room light Rocks, A light that is the size of your thumb rocks.

I havent posted in a while but had to brag about this light.

Is it perfect? no.

But I have never seen anything better for my needs as an all around carry everyday light.

Sidespill is different I am sure and less graceful that some other lights. But the lights with the perfect beam are less efficient and bright than the cree. I'l take my cree any day. I am not analyzing color prints with a flashlight. I am checking fuses, working on the car, walking the dog.
It's perfect for that stuff. I do not see any blind spots and the brightness and contrast is sufficient to illuminate anything in a wide cone in the direction of the beam.

I can't speak intelligently on other Cree based lights but I do agree with other posters when they say don't pick on the diode.

The Cree diode is awesome. None of the problems you folks are experiencing have anything to do with diode itself.

A non centered diode is a manufacturing problem or possibly a QA problem with a certain percentage of lights produced.

Beam characteristics are a combination of reflector design diode placement and manufacturing consistancy.

Maybe they will have more options for reflectors soon for those that prefer a washed out floody look.

If I had my choice personally id rather have exactly what I do have. a bright center beam with a less bright surrounding. Why? Becase I like to see stuff far away on a country night and I dont want to be so blinded by the near stuff that I can't make out the center beam 50 feet away.

I can still see the close stuff. It just doesnt need to be as bright because, um it's right next to me. It works great indoors as well.

Last edited: