In the USA is it legal to cuss out a cop?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Please note I don't do this it isn't my style they have a hard job so I treat them with kindness and respect .but I always wondered if was legal to cuss them out? Becuzse I'm met a few cops who didn't deserve respect . But I just said yes sir and no sir wished them well but was thinking to self what a jerk

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Whether it's technically legal or not, the cops will always find some BS catch-all charge like "disorderly conduct" to arrest you, so it's not a good idea. Yes, some cops don't deserve respect, but it's not worth having an arrest record to prove the point. Also, sometimes just being polite gets you off with a warning, even if they were ready to issue a ticket.

Sabrewulf

Newly Enlightened
Whether it's technically legal or not, the cops will always find some BS catch-all charge like "disorderly conduct" to arrest you, so it's not a good idea. Yes, some cops don't deserve respect, but it's not worth having an arrest record to prove the point. Also, sometimes just being polite gets you off with a warning, even if they were ready to issue a ticket.
I'm always polite, but never been given a warning, just a ticket.
They see me as $$$ sign. I've been told it's because I'm asian.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Stress test no I'm not serious my name is Eddie or raggie don't call me Shirley

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend watching Chris Rock's instructional video available on YouTube called "How not to get your a## kicked by the police." Legal or not, cussing out cops is stupid and you'll instantly regret it. Even if you don't get a ticket, beat up, or sent to jail, you will have made their list for future harassment every time you cross their path. There are good cops and bad cops. It's best to give them the benefit of the doubt and don't assume they are a bad cop and cuss them out. Dealing with people with that attitude all day breeds more bad cops. Treat them with the respect that their position deserves and you'll usually have a better encounter with them, and maybe fewer good cops will quit from people treating them like garbage every day.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I understand it's not smart but I just wonder if we have the right to say hey this isn't right your a moron. Ok I also understand this will be a stupid aproch . But I just wondered if it's legal.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It is still protected speech, provided it does not result in causing harm to others or property.

Say a particularly vicious perp gets started raising a fuss over being pulled for speeding and hurls insults at the police officer, which then causes curious onlookers to gather, resulting in a large crowd that results in ruckus that results in a street fight or damaged property (ie riot). If that ends up happening as a result of the perp cussing at the police officer(s) it's illegal but to say "your momma wears combat boots you (insert curse word here)" is not.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'm lucky I've met many many cool cops had one as my best friend in my early teens . He was so cool drove a mustang as his patrol car we would hang out and fish. In my 20s I worked in a dive bar back then we just called it the poor people bar lol. But after worked me and the crew hanger out with police we had fun times

As a former LEO, in the U.S. profane speech is not illegal. However, be prepared for any sort of enforcement action on any number of minor infractions.

... any sort of enforcement on any number of minor infractions = petty retaliation due to a butt-hurt ego.

With the above stated, I have never been disrespectful to any LEO and I've always been treated fairly or given a break.

Decisions have consequences.

Now that more and more police departments are issuing body-worn cameras to their officers, bad decisions by LEO are starting to have consequences.

LEO are usually interacting with people at the worst time of their life - whether they be criminals or victims. Defunding police departments is foolish. They need more funds to hire more officers and provide them with comprehensive training for one of the hardest jobs to do right.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is legal, just watch first amendment activists do it all the time. but then they do it to cops who are 100% in the wrong, and they do it on camera.

Duster1671

Enlightened
profane speech is not illegal.
There's a whole lot of discussion happening here dancing around the basic fact spelled out in these five words.

Cussing out a police officer is not illegal and only sometimes wrong. A thin-skinned police officer retaliating through "any sort of enforcement action on any number of minor infractions" is sometimes illegal and always wrong.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe this is even being debated...

jl3slf2.gif

DRW

Enlightened
Cussing out a police officer is not illegal and only sometimes wrong.
Do Police Officers deserve cussing out just because they are Police Officers? Why is it only sometimes wrong? Is it wrong to cuss out your Mom?

A thin-skinned police officer retaliating through "any sort of enforcement action on any number of minor infractions" is sometimes illegal and always wrong.
Police Officers are people, and like everyone else, they make mistakes as a cop, parent, spouse, brother, friend, colleague, and with strangers. They have good days and bad days.

Every situation is different, cookie cutter approaches to policing just don't work. There are times when, an alternate route is needed. Here is an example, Al Capone went to jail for tax law violations and contempt of court.

@Chauncey Gardiner mentioned cameras as though there is no accountability for Police Officers who don't wear cameras. It's simply another form of evidence. Cameras have almost removed a Police Officer's use of discretion, and that's unfortunate.

@Chauncey Gardiner mentioned cameras as though there is no accountability for Police Officers who don't wear cameras. It's simply another form of evidence. Cameras have almost removed a Police Officer's use of discretion, and that's unfortunate.

Tell me, how many times in your career did you report a fellow officer for unlawful behavior, excessive force, or policy violations that you witnessed? :rolleyes:

Do Police Officers deserve cussing out just because they are Police Officers? Why is it only sometimes wrong? Is it wrong to cuss out your Mom?

Police Officers are people, and like everyone else, they make mistakes as a cop, parent, spouse, brother, friend, colleague, and with strangers. They have good days and bad days.

Every situation is different, cookie cutter approaches to policing just don't work. There are times when, an alternate route is needed. Here is an example, Al Capone went to jail for tax law violations and contempt of court.

No, they are absolutely not like everyone else. LEO have the power to detain, arrest, and lock someone in jail for little to no reason. Case in point -