In the USA is it legal to cuss out a cop?

iacchus

Enlightened
Did you know the theme song to Andy Griffith, the whistling one?
It has lyrics. Most people don't know that.

What a great show that was. I always loved the episodes that had the Dillards on. Man, them folk sure could play a tune.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I 100% do not trust - nor respect - any officer of the law that has the right to outright lie to me to get me to confess to a crime.

Respect must be earned, not voluntarily given, and wearing a badge doesn't automatically garner any more respect than I would give to any stranger.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but this shooting is not so much about individual cop, but left wing politics, that allow violent felons with gun charges go free, to commit more crime. As well as psycos. regular people are at much higher danger just walking to from work, and riding subways, This shooting is the straw that broke the camel's back, that is as far as i can go without going into political discussion,

I 100% do not trust - nor respect - any officer of the law that has the right to outright lie to me to get me to confess to a crime.
Image 1.jpg

Tell ya what, Sport! If you confess to a crime, you're a criminal ******* worthy of being lied to. 😁 That was supposed to be the word commonly known to mean a child sans his father's last name.
Respect must be earned, not voluntarily given, and wearing a badge doesn't automatically garner any more respect than I would give to any stranger.
The position of LEO is worthy of respect up until the point he or she proves they don't deserve it.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

...and it's that attitude right there that has helped in putting our society in the bad place that it is today.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
He has nothing to do with where society is today, Police abusive and sometimes outright criminal action, that we see more and more thanks to cell phone cameras, as well as horrible policies, and corrupt justice system led to it.. and btw, attitude that police can do no wrong, and we have to accept police misconduct, is partly to blame too, so you two might as well look in the mirror, if you want to blame someone who only reacts to real world.

He has nothing to do with where society is today, Police abusive and sometimes outright criminal action, that we see more and more thanks to cell phone cameras, as well as horrible policies, and corrupt justice system led to it.. and btw, attitude that police can do no wrong, and we have to accept police misconduct, is partly to blame too, so you two might as well look in the mirror, if you want to blame someone who only reacts to real world.
Please explain where either of us has stated any such opinion. I'm perplexed as to what led you to such a conclusion.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Don't put words in my mouth. Not once did I approve or advocate abuse by police. You want to bring attention to the extremely low percentage of abuse vs all the good that's been done.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't put words in my mouth. Not once did I approve or advocate abuse by police. You want to bring attention to the extremely low percentage of abuse vs all the good that's been done.
Bull, 15/15/70 is unacceptably high.

Please explain where either of us has stated any such opinion. I'm perplexed as to what led you to such a conclusion.
@alpg88, It appears you are unable to justify your post. Your Kung Fu is weak! :yellowlaugh:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tell ya what, Sport! If you confess to a crime, you're a criminal ******* worthy of being lied to. 😁 That was supposed to be the word commonly known to mean a child sans his father's last name.
There is plenty of documented evidence that is easily found (meaning I'm not going to list cases out for you - I know you have the ability to search!) where people have been shown to confess to a crime they did not commit because of constant police duress during questioning, all while being lied to.

The second part of your statement, we will just agree to disagree. 🙂

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
People have been convicted on a testimony of a single person, courts do not care about justice, they only care to convict, anyone. As for cops lying, they do so from all the time, every single time thy talk to you they mix in a lie to make you say something they would see a reason to arrest you.

There is plenty of documented evidence that is easily found (meaning I'm not going to list cases out for you - I know you have the ability to search!) where people have been shown to confess to a crime they did not commit because of constant police duress during questioning, all while being lied to.

You've moved the goalposts a lot further downfield, Sport. 🥱 . . . 😁

People have been convicted on a testimony of a single person, courts do not care about justice, they only care to convict, anyone. As for cops lying, they do so from all the time, every single time thy talk to you they mix in a lie to make you say something they would see a reason to arrest you.
I'm still waiting for you to explain your post 148, or edit it. 🥱 And yes, your Kung Fu is still weak. :yellowlaugh:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I had answered questions and not just made busy work that didn't pan out for the police I wouldn't be here now. If I had let FBI agents inside my house during a knock & talk I also wouldn't be here now collecting lights.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
People have been convicted on a testimony of a single person, courts do not care about justice, they only care to convict, anyone.
This is true. A man did a number of years in jail because of crimes I committed. When I read about it in the news I was to scared to own up to it then because I had seen Oz and American History X and was scared of prison. Now that the statutes have expired I wanted to clear his name and contacted a lawyer about it and he wasn't even interested in this.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've moved the goalposts a lot further downfield, Sport. 🥱 . . . 😁
How did I move the goalpost?

I posited I will respect no police officer any more than any other stranger, especially given they can legally lie to you to get you to confess to a crime.

You stated "If you confess to a crime, you're a criminal…worthy of being lied to."

I replied back your statement was untrue, that there are plenty of verifiable cases out there where the police, while lying, have had people confess to crimes they did not commit.

Goalpost moved how?

And, incidentally, if one is to believe letschat7, my point is further validated by firsthand experience.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do not even have to confess to a crime. they will steer you to say something that DA will make jury believe is a proof, or scare you enough so you take a deal, (confession to a lesser crime) just to get it over with. Anyone who believes the system is just, well i wish him to find it out for himself.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The most horrific, brutal, disturbing, and downright obscene murder case in all of Australia, committed by four young men. One of whom when caught by the police, wet himself.... Unfortunately police initially thought the woman's husband was to blame. Isolated him, grilled him, wouldn't let him leave, lied to him about non-existent evidence pointing at him. Got the man so confused that he admitted to all of it because he genuinely started believing he must have done it because the police kept telling him for hours upon hours that he was guilty.

It was only later on that they realized that there was just too much trauma, and abuse to her body to have been the work of one person. Plus, they took a closer look at his personality too and realized he was not their man. Not even remotely.

While I do have respect for police officers and treat them accordingly if I'm pulled over, if I was asked to come in and answer a few questions. I would immediately let friends and family know where I'd be. And, if it ever got to the point that I'm clearly being treated like a suspect instead of a witness in a serious crime. I would calmly ask for an attorney. While making it clear I do not wish to answer anymore questions.