Inexpensive AAA/AA flashlight for Cub Scout

chrisct

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm looking for a flashlight for my 10 year-old son who is in Cub Scouts. Because of his age I'd like to keep the price below $20, and I also don't want to have to worry about him "wasting" expensive batteries.

Quick list of features I'm looking for:
LED
AAA/AA batteries
Tail switch
One mode (I could live with a high/low 2-way as well)
<$20

Brief search turned up the following two:
Dorcy High Beam LED ~$12 on eBay
Romien RC-K4 ~$17 at DX

Thank you very much for your recommendations!

Here's my survey info:
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Less than $25.

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.
None

Last edited:

cistallus

Enlightened
In a thread in the Budget Lights forum, people seemed to like the Sipik Sk68, searching on that on Amazon, 1st hit isn't that title but seems to be the light being discussed, quite cheap, good reviews overall - I plan to try one or two on my next order there.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thrunite Ti AAA Google links to CPF threads

DSC_9774.jpg

Or Thrunite T10 if you want a AA light.

Norm

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sipik sk68 can be had for $5 from eBay. Runs on 1 aa. Q5 emitter and flood to throw zoom

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
I have the SK68 and have that as a car light. Works well. I got mine from DX, but there are many places that have clones.

The Thrunite Ti is on sale now for $10, and has a 3/60 lumen model or a firefly/60 lumen model that runs on AAA. You can also buy a T10 for $30 and get the Ti 3/60 version for free from the Thrunite store.

If you look on the thrunite thread in CPFMP, there is also a link to get 5 of their Ti lights for $45 (one in each color), but they are also the 3/60 model.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my son was in Cubs, I gave him a Romisen with a zoomable beam. I've never met a kid that didn't like that in a flashlight. :D

Runs on 1xAA, and is less than $20 from Shingingbeam. It's still his favorite light, and favorite gadget in general. Been going strong for three years now without a hitch.

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Romisen RC-G2 III R5 from Shining Beam. Great single AA light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I haven't got one but one light that crosses my mind is the Rayovac 2AA LED indestructible around $15 two modes. The advantage of the light is you can get it at Home Depot and they have it also at Ace Hardware but the price could be a little higher.