Interested in a small (4-6") flashlight for EDC

Kman314

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a small flashlight for EDC. I'm OK with with using CR123 batteries. It would be nice if the light could use rechargeable batteries, but it's not necessarily a requirement. I filled out the checklist below, and will be interested in seeing your recommendations. Thanks!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
__x__Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__x__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__x__I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__x__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
__x__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
__x__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
__x__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__x__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

__x__Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__x__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
_x___Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
__x__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
__x__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
__x__Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, Kman314! :)

Just a few more questions:
a) Car glove-box, is that *the* intended purpose for this light? Or just one of many places you'll use it?
b) How often do you intend/expect to use this light? (that would help to decide whether rechargeables make sense).
c) Is light color (cool / neutral / warm white) an issue for you? Or perhaps even important? Btw mods: why isn't that part of the questionnaire? :thinking:
d) What would be your *preferred* size for this light? (all else being equal).
e) Is putting together a light from parts an option?

If so, you could pick a flashlight host of your choice, select a single mode or hi<->low driver that fits, and pick a LED to go with it. If not, single mode or hi<->low may rather limit your options. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, since your requirements seem rather basic. Meaning: there's loooottts of lights to choose from. So something that helps narrow down those choices is welcome.

Amelia

Enlightened
I've read through your list of requirements, and have a few ideas.
There are a ton of lights out there that will meet the requirements you listed.
Let's talk about UI for a minute. All other things being equal, a good user interface can make or break a flashlight. Fast and easy access to the various output modes, preferably even when you start with the light off, can make a good light a real joy to use. Conversely, an overly complex UI with millions of things to remember and all kinds of conditions about what modes you need to be in before you do so many fast clicks standing on your head to get to the mode you WANT can turn a really nice light into something you won't want to pick up, let alone actually use.

As anyone around here can tell you, I'm a HUGE fan of the infinitely variable magnetic ring + forward clicky interface. Why? It's simple. Literally. You just rotate the ring to the brightness you want, and click the switch. Forward clicky means you can half-depress the switch without "locking" it on, for when you need brief seconds of light or look under a counter quickly. Or signalling to a friend. Morse code or warning flashes.

Once the light is on, if you suddenly need more light or if it's too bright, you just twist the ring. Done. No clicky mode sequences to recall, no time spent remembering what mode you're in and how many times or how long you need to press yhe button to get to that high output to scare the dog off - just twist and point. I consider this to be the perfect user interface, and I've never seen another that is better in any way - it just works and works very, very well. Hand the light to ANYONE, and they will almost instinctively understand it immediately. It's just plain wonderful.

Based on your listed budget, almost all of the magnetic ring lights are affordable for you, with money left over for rechargeable batteries and maybe a decent charger too.

Look into the Nitecore SRT3 and SRT5, the Sunwayman V11R (my fave...) and V20R, the Jetbeam RRT-0 and RRT1 (I don't like these much, but you might!), and the various NiteEyes offerings.

If I were looking for what you seem to be after, I'd seriously be considering the Nitecore SRT-5, it checks all your boxes and gives you the CR123 option you're after... along with the future ability to jump into 18650 when you're ready to tackle the world of Lithium Ion rechargeables.

Good luck! :)

Kman314

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, Kman314! :)

Just a few more questions:
a) Car glove-box, is that *the* intended purpose for this light? Or just one of many places you'll use it? Light will probably most often reside in my pocket. Car glove box is just one place where it may spend a little time.
b) How often do you intend/expect to use this light? (that would help to decide whether rechargeables make sense)? Probably no more than maybe 10-15 minutes per week.
c) Is light color (cool / neutral / warm white) an issue for you? Or perhaps even important? Btw mods: why isn't that part of the questionnaire? :thinking: I don't think light color is an issue.
d) What would be your *preferred* size for this light? (all else being equal). 4" long, maybe about 3/4" in diameter
e) Is putting together a light from parts an option? I suppose it could be an option.

If so, you could pick a flashlight host of your choice, select a single mode or hi<->low driver that fits, and pick a LED to go with it. If not, single mode or hi<->low may rather limit your options. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, since your requirements seem rather basic. Meaning: there's loooottts of lights to choose from. So something that helps narrow down those choices is welcome. I'm not sure I fully understand your last statement. If you are asking if I prefer ON/OFF only, or multiple light levels/functions, I would generally prefer ON/OFF;

​Really, I'm open to any good suggestions. Thanks....

dss_777

Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 with high-low ring. A bit outside your price range, barely, but there's none better for a GP light, IMO.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would highly recommend either a SRT5 by Nitecore or a Zebralight SC62. The Nitecore has the option of using primary 123 batteries and also rechargeable 18650 batteries. The Zebralight is going to be a side clicky but is nice and compact while featuring a thermally regulated output on the highest two levels. What this means is that instead of stepping down after a minute or two the light will keep the highest intensity allowed based off the ambient temperature and other factors. Both are great lights, the Nitecore offering a control ring with forward clicky while the Zebralight offering a side clicky with great output ranges. Both also have screw on pocket clips which are a big deal IMO.

cerbie

Enlightened
Wanting narrow flood, check out Armytek's Partner and Prime models, that use TIR optics. The Prime is somewhat similar to the SC62 (rear pocket clip, side front button), but with a wide, and fairly muted, hot-spot (not overly bright in comparison with the spill). The non-Pro models have a simple UI, that turns on and off to the last level used, and then cycles if you hold down the button (there's more, but it's all effectively hidden, unless you are prone to randomly double-clicking your flashlight switches :)).

Beamshots:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-impressions&p=4605742&viewfull=1#post4605742

Last edited:

Kman314

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for your recommendations. I will look at all of them, then pick one.

Kman314

Newly Enlightened
Question about the Sunwayman V11R: The warning on a website says, "CAUTION: Do not run the light continuously at turbo mode for more than 5 minutes." My question is, why not? What will happen? Also (OK, so now it's two questions), any recommendations for a place (or website) to purchase?

Thanks....

cerbie

Enlightened
It could get hot enough to burn you, damage the LED, damage the circuitry, or maybe even damage the battery (which could end up hurting you). That's one of the reasons some more expensive small flashlights don't have such high output levels.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Kman,

I've suggested this light more than a year ago and I'll still suggest it now: the Nitecore SRT3. Meets all your requirements and then some.

You might also want to check out the Olight S10 baton. I bought one recently but I'm not a fan of the electronic switch or its mode cycling.

Another light I can recommend is the Foursevens Mini ML-X but that might be too small for your requirements and can only handle rechargeables in short bursts. But it's amazingly small.

Amelia

Enlightened
Question about the Sunwayman V11R: The warning on a website says, "CAUTION: Do not run the light continuously at turbo mode for more than 5 minutes." My question is, why not? What will happen? Also (OK, so now it's two questions), any recommendations for a place (or website) to purchase?

Thanks....

Most small lights will have a similar warning of some sort - even if it only applies to the use of Lithium Ion batteries at the highest mode. It is a necessary evil to run a light at that high level to limit the runtime, the other option is to limit the output of the light to "safe" levels for every anticipated set of conditions, which would leave most lights at about half the lumen output on high that these "turbo" modes offer.

I'm glad they do it the way they do, I would rather have brief access to a super bright mode than have no super bright mode at all. After using a light for a while, you'll most likely find that you rarely use these "turbo" modes anyway, and when you do 2 or 5 minutes seems like an eternity anyway. Most of my "Turbo" mode usage lasts for 5 or 10 SECONDS, typically to check something out briefly in the distance before resuming my normal routine.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Most small lights will have a similar warning of some sort - even if it only applies to the use of Lithium Ion batteries at the highest mode. It is a necessary evil to run a light at that high level to limit the runtime, the other option is to limit the output of the light to "safe" levels for every anticipated set of conditions, which would leave most lights at about half the lumen output on high that these "turbo" modes offer.

I'm glad they do it the way they do, I would rather have brief access to a super bright mode than have no super bright mode at all. After using a light for a while, you'll most likely find that you rarely use these "turbo" modes anyway, and when you do 2 or 5 minutes seems like an eternity anyway. Most of my "Turbo" mode usage lasts for 5 or 10 SECONDS, typically to check something out briefly in the distance before resuming my normal routine.
The only thing a v11r lacks is a little led to warn when battery is getting low. Seems to be found mostly in ligbts with a side switch for some reason. I hope the v12r has one.

Amelia

Enlightened
The only thing a v11r lacks is a little led to warn when battery is getting low. Seems to be found mostly in ligbts with a side switch for some reason. I hope the v12r has one.

I agree. However, the V11R also lacks a High-CRI emitter option, a decent screw-on pocket clip, a reliable AA extender that doesn't require O-ring swapping, a magnetic ring that uses something other than dissipating grease for friction, a metal switch that doesn't "grind", a good sub-lumen output, and half a dozen other things.

Even with all it's faults, I completely LOVE that light! I'm love it so much, in fact, that I'm willing to put up with all its shortcomings and go to some expense to modify it for 16650 battery usage, screw-on pocket clip, and hunting down the rare Neutral Emitter version. I'm just hoping that Sunwayman reads all these forum posts about the V11R shortcomings, and fixes them if they ever release a V12R into the market! :)

Kman314

Newly Enlightened
So it looks to me as if the Sunwayman V11R will not reach the full 500 lumen output when using the CR123 battery, and thus will not have any danger of overheating, is that correct? The only concern would be when using RCR123 (aka 16340?)?

Kman314

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any thoughts on Extreme Beam SAR5? Single CR123 battery, on/off - no multiple lighting modes to switch through, no overheating risk, can take rechargeables.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any thoughts on Extreme Beam SAR5? Single CR123 battery, on/off - no multiple lighting modes to switch through, no overheating risk, can take rechargeables.

I personally would not recommend it, I'm not familiar with the brand but from looking at it it only has one mode, the hi mode, and battery is less than an hour. It lacks flexibility for the times you may want a lower moonlight mode. Trust me, as an EDC flashlight, you don't want 400+ lumens all the time. There are times where you may need 40-50 or at night to preserve your night vision 1 lumen or less. The difference between 400 lumens and 550 to the eye is not as great a jump due to the way our eyes work.

Having said this, I still would highly recommend taking a look at the Nitecore SRT3 or 5 or the Zebralight SC62. The Nitecore SRT3 using cr123 batteries gets over 500 lumens and goes as low as .1 lumen. The SC62 by Zebralight is also a great choice since it offers direct access from off to whatever mode you want and is very easy to operate. It will go up to 1000 lumens too and using lower output will give you better runtime. I would recommend either of these for what you described, they'll be great EDC options offering different brightness levels without being gimmicky and forcing you to switch through a bunch of modes just to get to the one you want. That's why I like both of these and highly recommend them.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Caveat emptor, but you won't know until you try it out. A few years ago, I had a rebrand of the "non-knockoff" line, and the fit and finish was top notch. It was a p60 equivalent with deep well ddefined knurling, semi matte type 2/3 anodizing, AR glass and a tough clicky. I cannot speak for their newer stuff, but there are lots of other knockoffs that have taken liberties with the exact same designs at about 1/5 to 1/10th the cost.

Amelia

Enlightened
So it looks to me as if the Sunwayman V11R will not reach the full 500 lumen output when using the CR123 battery, and thus will not have any danger of overheating, is that correct? The only concern would be when using RCR123 (aka 16340?)?

Correct. You also need to watch out for this when using 14500 Li-Ions too, if you use the AA extender tube option.

If you are running on turbo and you're worried about heat or want a bit more runtime before turning it down, you can grip the light tighter up toward the head. This will give a thermal path (through you) to get rid of some of the heat. Don't scorch yourself though... :)

Last edited: