Introducing 15 Watts of TRI (Ion) Flux Power! Pics

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing 15 Watts of TRI (Ion) Flux Power!

Man.. does this thing bbq? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Scary very scary.. Beautiful tritium art there.

How can you describe this light??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

flash....

Enlightened

Evan9162..
The reason not to use Alk's is firstly voltage difference.
6 x 1.5 = 9v from a D cell with pretty good current capability when fresh... Probably pop the LS's with a fresh set!
The MiMH's produce 6 x 1.2 = 7.2v

Also, running at 9000Mah should give good runtime for this much load... (although they are a bit pricey.. $9 a piece!)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, it is possible to be successful using a 6C donor w/ 6 Powerex 5100 mAh C cells with less run time but plenty of power?

Tri Ion Flux's mean little sister with an early bedtime.

flash....

Enlightened

Icebreak;
I would think so....
Just not NiCd's as they seem to fry LS's quick due to their low internal resistance. (at least in my experience.)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome. Any room or outdoor shots? On the Tri-lens can you change out the optics and re-use the holder? If so I wonder what the fraen 5w optics would do?

So that's got a run time around 3 hours? Wow. You could do a 3D w/12 aa's. 2parallel x 6series for around 1 hour run time with 2ah NiMH.. That would surprise people for the size!

I can't help but to think of a 30W Cyan in a 3D mag. I wonder what people would do when they saw that coming! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Considering you can get duracell 1800mah AA's for $1 each or less in bulk (1.2 for 12 AA w/shipping figured into price) that would be a viable option. Use the radio shack wall wart 7.5v 500mah to charge it up. Build a charger jack into the tailcap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Isn't there a limit to how much current alkalines can put out due to their internal resistance? Even if they are running at 9v, I doubt the D's can put out over 3 amps of current. I think around 2 is their limit. Now don't use lithium D's! ouch!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tested some D-cells last night. In a dead short, a D-cell can put out about 5A. BUT, at 2A, a D-cells terminal voltage will drop to around 1.2V. Thus, the internal resistance of D-cells will limit their current sufficiently that I doubt you'll have a problem putting regular alkalines in this thing.

What I would do, would be to put 6 alkaline Ds in there, leave off the tail cap, then complete the circuit with your DMM in current mode. Start out with a 1-ohm resistor in series, and check out the current. The try a half ohm, check again. If the current is reasonable, try w/o the resistor. I'll bet that, at such high currents, you don't have to worry about using regular D cells.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

This mod sounds awesome! I wish I could see the pics though (they aren't showing up)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I bought one of the tri-stars from Elektro Lumens, and I am seriously impressed by it! I can't imagine three 5W LS's running in OD with it!!! Yikes!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

flash....

Enlightened

You guys are probably right about the alks not being able to muster the current needed to cause damage... New cells fresh out of the box still scare me... I suppose I will try it sometime. The resistance idea is best, and I'm sure that would be the safe way to do it.

Now, if I could just get a couple more Wvf ranked LS's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif