Introducing 15 Watts of TRI (Ion) Flux Power! Pics

flash....

Enlightened
Well I built me a LED Tri monster...
A 3x5Watt 6D cell MaG conversion light...
ElektroLumins was kind enough to sell me a Fraen Tri-optic and I built it into a 6-D cell MaG. What an Easy, seriously BRIGHT Mod!!!
3-3-5.jpg

Oh yeah, it light's the room like daylight and it gets hot too, but who cares!!
This thing scares folks!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Plus it doubles as one really big mean Beatin' stick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Building it:
Remove the MaG switch and solder on six solid core heavy guage wire (3 Gnd & 3 Pos)
3-2-1.jpg

Next get 4 Heatsinks from ElektroLumins and thread them together with a nut and bolt drilled through the center and seal them with Artic Silver epoxy.
3-2-2.jpg

Then thread through the wires and pound down the heat sink into the mag light flush:
I had to widen the existing holes a bit to accomidate the wire thickness.
3-2-3.jpg

Then, use the fraen tri optic as a template to set up the leds on the heat sink with Artic Silver epoxy, solder wireing in place and screw on the Mag head to the point where the optic will sit flush with the lens.

When you screw on the head, use thermal paste in the threads for better heat transfer. At this point I also drilled and tapped three holes directly into the threads of where the head and body meet. this allows me to then "lock down" the head (can't turn) and provide good heat transfer into that giant aluminum MaG head with three screws.
3-2-4.jpg

Drop in the Fraen optic... "plop"
3-2-5.jpg

Screw down the bezel and lens to complete!
3-3-1.jpg

Oh Yeah the "ION" part... Of course, it's gotta glow!!!
3-3-2.jpg

For this: Seperate Fraen optics and white backing and then coat the white backing with clear acrylic paint and dust with Stronium Aluminate powder (Glow Powder).. then clean clear optics, and reassemble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lastly, add 6 seriously bad a__ NiMh 9000 Mah hour D cell rechargable batts.
Standard D cells will NOT work.... Do not ever put them in this configuration.
3-3-4.jpg

It's bright, Very bright...
I don't have a light meter... but this thing stands out brighter than an industrial 250watt floodlight bath flood area at 4 feet than the flood itself at 2 feet: (see below pic)
3-3-3.jpg

Hows that for a beam shot??
This thing pulls 4 amps out of the batts total.. or 1.333 amps per LS.
It is direct drive.. "YOU MUST USE HIGHER Vf LS's .. W's are preferred.
W = 7.83v to 8.31volts..
If not, then resistor the LS's down a bit in the body switch area. (there's room)
It does get really hot so I may back it off a bit on current but WoW is this alot of light.
It's big, It's Bright and I think it's bad!!!
Sorry not selling this one.. But hopefully from this post, You can make your own!!
Go fourth and MOD!!!

I'm Giddy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing 15 Watts of TRI (Ion) Flux Power!

Seriously bright monster. Well done Flash! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy smokes! That's some serious light. If you can't temporarily blind a home invader, then beat the perp with the flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously though, I wonder how many lumens that puts out. Nice pictures of your work by the way.

CM

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoa!

Monsterlicious indeed. Very impressive...in every way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Wilkey

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

very nice!

i still like the old one you did with the glowrings though..that was nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
very nice!

i still like the old one you did with the glowrings though..that was nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah!!! That was a thing of beauty.

Not to take anything away from this monster!!
Pat

jtice

Flashaholic

Very nice work.

So, the triple fraen optics DO fit in a mag?
Did you have to do anything special?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Gaaahhh!!! "Ding! Ding! Ding! We got us a winnah!!!"

This is right up my alley of persuasion when it comes to mods. BRIGHTEST POSSIBLE, HEAT AND RUN TIMES BE DAMNED!!!

YEEEEEE-HAW!!! I nominate this one for Photon King!

snuffy

Enlightened
Ahhh, now I see why you're wanting that W4W I'm parting with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash -

You did it!

<font color="blue"> Tri Ion Flux </font>

15 watts of majestic photon celebration sprinkled with sparkling ionic jubilation.

Like many here I am a devoted fan of the original Ion Flux and am now a great fan of the Tri Ion Flux. Alas, I'm not the greatest fan.

She is:
Aeon-Flux.jpg

When Ms. Flux pays you a visit to see your new light, and you know she will, say hello for the boys at CPF.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beatin' stick? Heck it probably will sun burn them if they get that close!

Excellent mod! That's one serious flashlight....

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flash.... said:
This thing pulls 4 amps out of the batts total.. or 1.333 amps per LS.
W = 7.83v to 8.31volts..

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I like it!

But, it is over 30 watts.

Even at the lowest of the W bin (7.83 Vf), 7.83V x 4A = 31.32 W! (on fresh cells)

It's one of the brightest LED flashlights there is.

Can you say groovy?

flash....

Enlightened

Wow!! thanks for the replies' all!!!
Yes this is absolutely my brightest light by a huge margin...

jtice:
The only thing you have to do to the Fraen optic is clip off the little white standoff sticks on the bottom of the Tri Lens. and then it just drops in!

shankus:
Yep, I thought it was actually brighter than 15watts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...
The best part is it's so darn easy to make!

MR Bulk:
Thank you and I am honored... !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif !!

Rothrandir and treek13:
I really did want to get some tritium in this light but I could not find a good enough spot in time... (I could not wait to finish it just to see how bright it was..)
I may get a couple more Tri Lenses in order to expearment with fitting Tritium elements in order to make a revision 2 of this light... ( I am working on getting more "W" binned LS's..
I am also going to have to invest in a light meter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I did whip one of these up recently:
Down and dirty version of the cheap-O Radio Shack $6 water proof lights... This was an expearment\prototype to quickly check how to fit tritium elements into a 30 MM optic.
This one will change again as I have to do better with the epoxy...
3-4-1.jpg

and
3-4-2.jpg

More to come on this development later....

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

very nice!

thank you for appeasing my tritium craving hunger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
that's just awesome!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great light!
I do have my 5W Cyan 5D laying around gathering dust, this is inspiring. Maybe I should go for the low voltage LS so the 5 D cells can push the LS's to around 900mA each.
I need to quit reading this forum, so much money...so much money! Thanks for the inspiration and perspiration.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why can't you use alkaline D cells? Is it just that they can't supply enough current?