Introducing "Draco" - - - PART 2

rscanady

Enlightened
Johnathon,

I wanted to wait a bit till things settled down for you, I scanned through the posts but did not find what I was looking for. For anyone wanted the XR-E upgrade, do we send you paypal and ship the light out to you. I also want to make sure that the same bezel ring is used in the upgrade in order to keep the serial number, thanks for your time. Both my Chrome AL and TiN are getting lots of use and never fail to impress, wonderful tools they are.

Regards,

Ryan

DM51

Flashaholic
I suggest you e-mail him or use his sales thread. He may not monitor this thread frequently and his PM box is often full.

Scottiver

Enlightened
Wow Jeffb! Awesome little collection you have there.

jeffb said:
123584856-M.jpg

Before replacing heads with new plug in Cree's; CR2 ION TI XRE, far right.........alternate the (2) on right "in my pocket".

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Pictured lights are "users", too!

I've now had the "little" Draco on my keychain for several months and it still appears as "new", BRAVO.

The new "Cree" is stunning; white, extremely bright and has amazing flood for such a small reflector. Will try to do some "beamshots", when I get time.

Every time I use it, appreciate the workmanship and the sheer brightness out of such tiny lights.

Highly Recommended!!

jeffb

ScarabDrowner

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been able to bring myself to put my draco on my keyring. Too nervous about the other chunks of metal banging around on it. I've been keeping it on a chain around my neck almost 24-7 instead

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the second small batch of Dracos are currently in production. Several minor enhancement have been made to further help with the functionality and reliability of the light.

=== Draco 2nd Revision Enhancements ===
1. Tritium slots will replace the round GID hole on the battery tube.
2. Increase the number of rotation between the battery tube and LE.
3. Improved thermal path.
4. Maybe Seoul P4 compatible.
5. O-ring standardization. Same oring for all the junction to save part number & my whooping cost.
6. Secret sauce #9

ScarabDrowner: If for any reason 10280 are not available thru the common channel (AW), I'll fire up the alternative plan (who wants to remains ITBG at the moment).

kiely23+: Seoul P4 are in the works but not like you think.

rscanady: PM sent with instructions & address for swap.

ScarabDrowner: Please use the light, get it beaten in and bruise ... so I can sell more. J/K

ZeissOEM2 said:
Anyone who did have the same problem w/ draco like mine.After 2 weeks it will only go on medium level .No-high or low. medium,nothing,medium ,nothing,userlevel set,medium

Zeiss: I have not seen this issue yet. It might be the uC onboard memory somehow got corrupted? Or is it ... it's always remembering :thinking:

Try the following:
1. Remove the battery.
2. Use IPA (rubbering alcohol) to clean the (+) contact
3. Wait for 30+ minutes.
4. Short the (+)center contact with the body (common ground) for couple seconds.
5. Then leave the light appart for the night.

Try to use it again the next morning hopefully it reset the uC. If all else fails send it (complete light) to me for repair.

I'll check goldserve to see if he experience this before in the 1K+ FluPIC in the field.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag said:
2. Increase the number of rotation between the battery tube and LE.

2 questions just because I'm curious:
- For the v1.1 Draco are you changing the LE, the tube or both to increase the rotations?
- Will the v1.0 Draco parts (LE and tube) be compatible with all the v1.1 Draco parts?

Awesome light BTW! I got a LOD CE today just for giggles and the Draco just dominates it. The output from this thing is ridiculous, especially considering it's size. I've gone through a few other nice lights (Orb Raw XR-E, Gladius) since getting this one and nothing is holding my interest anymore compared to this little light. Owning a Draco is saving me money :laughing:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so I'm wanting to send my "plain" aluminum unit in for an upgrade (no plugin). Should I just go for the XR-E upgrade (which I love in my Ti unit) or wait for this rumored P4 possability... :thinking: ?

...and what to do with this Ti turbohead? :grin2:

-DF

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LE is changed to increase the rotations. And it's backward compatible.
The most costly part to machine is the battery tube, which I'm trying to retain thru the redesign process.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. Secret Sauce #9 wouldn't be a Turbo head for the XR-E lights, would it? :naughty:

ScarabDrowner

Newly Enlightened
modamag said:
ScarabDrowner: If for any reason 10280 are not available thru the common channel (AW), I'll fire up the alternative plan (who wants to remains ITBG at the moment).
It's not if they're available or not here in the forums, I was commenting on the fact that I have not yet found them available anywhere else on the web.
Please use the light, get it beaten in and bruise ... so I can sell more. J/K
Hehe, not to worry there, I plan on getting a new Ti one this second round ^_^

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Here's a couple pictures of my AlTiN Draco, which I am loving.

I tried it on a lanyard, but it ended up on my keys, which is where it's staying!

mg9619smje9.jpg

mg9614smto1.jpg

This quality of this light amazes me... the ideal balance of form and function - neither is compromised; both are perfected. :thumbsup: Cheers to you Jonathan!

:) john

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great in those pics! What kind of key is that?

jch79

dammitjim said:
Looks great in those pics! What kind of key is that?
Kryptonite bike lock :)
loveit said:
How is this different than the TiCN?
It's got a different coating on it... Jonathan's description from his "Exotic Coating/Modification Services" thread says: "purple/black color, low friction, 90+ RC, 2nd hardest coating available of the list behind diamond."

The upside is that it is somewhat harder than TiCN; the downside is that it is not as good at heat dissipation. How much the slight change in these two factors will affect real life EDC useage... :shrug: I'll find out soon enough!

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
"purple/black color, low friction, 90+ RC, 2nd hardest coating available of the list behind diamond."

Hey John, I'm really interested in that coating, is the light as dark as it looks in your pics? Could you take some more pics in some different lighting?

jch79

dammitjim said:
Hey John, I'm really interested in that coating, is the light as dark as it looks in your pics? Could you take some more pics in some different lighting?
I'll see what I can do with another photo. The light is indeed pretty dark in color - a charcoal gray. Holding it up to a Black HA-III light (An Aleph series light in this case), it's definitely not "black", but it's getting there. It also has more of a shine than your typical Ha III coating. Mine does not have a purple hue to it, as Jonathan's description above says, but it may vary from light to light? :shrug:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
I'll see what I can do with another photo. The light is indeed pretty dark in color - a charcoal gray. Holding it up to a Black HA-III light (An Aleph series light in this case), it's definitely not "black", but it's getting there. It also has more of a shine than your typical Ha III coating. Mine does not have a purple hue to it, as Jonathan's description above says, but it may vary from light to light? :shrug:

Jonathan, does the color of this coating vary much? Is it available in the next run? I really dig these pics and am tempted to go Ti. :grin2:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, TiCN or TiAlN looks pretty much the same and both are great. I wouldn't sweat about it because only in bright light, you may get a different tint. One is more blueish and one is more violet.

DM51

Flashaholic
dammitjim said:
Jonathan, does the color of this coating vary much? Is it available in the next run? I really dig these pics and am tempted to go Ti. :grin2:
Dammit, Jim, go Ti. You know it makes sense. Resistance is futile. Etc etc!!