Introducing "Draco" - - - PART 2

ScarabDrowner

Newly Enlightened
aw man... now I've gotta choose between TiCN and TiAlN... leaning towards the latter, I like that dark look to contrast the shiny silver chrome

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
FYI, the Draco I have uses AlTiN, not TiAlN - there's a difference between the two coatings - AlTiN is slightly harder and smoother.

:) john

Last edited:

frisco

Enlightened
draco1tq2.jpg

©2007 frisco

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
frisco said:
draco1tq2.jpg

©2007 frisco

Nice advertisement! Is the girl in the photo a model? She makes that "model face" perfectly, just like in the magazines. I wish I knew how to take pictures like that! The lighting is so perfect. If you took that, you should shoot for an advertising company.

BTW, my Draco's been on my keychain for about a month and (I think) it still looks perfect. (although, I can't say I've really taken a close look at it!)

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Only you frisco - you and your awesome equipment get to take pictures of girls with awesome... uhhh... flashlights? :thumbsup:

ZeissOEM2

Enlightened
modamag said:
Zeiss: I have not seen this issue yet. It might be the uC onboard memory somehow got corrupted? Or is it ... it's always remembering :thinking:

Try the following:
1. Remove the battery.
2. Use IPA (rubbering alcohol) to clean the (+) contact
3. Wait for 30+ minutes.
4. Short the (+)center contact with the body (common ground) for couple seconds.
5. Then leave the light appart for the night.

Try to use it again the next morning hopefully it reset the uC. If all else fails send it (complete light) to me for repair.

I'll check goldserve to see if he experience this before in the 1K+ FluPIC in the field.

Still not working,only one medium
Please PM me your shipping adress.
O.R

Roboholic

Enlightened
Okay Modamag, I thougt My light was perfect. But now that you are making the small adjustments I will have to another TiCN or the AlTiN. Would love to have a couple more Twists on the head. Great Upgrade. Will you install a Trit or is that on us? I'll wait for the Seoul P4. Thanks Rob

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick manufacturing update.
The next batch of the Al/Ti Draco are currently going thru the machining process.
The battery tube and the converters are now done as of 02/11. One week later than I expect mostly due to the changes in the tail tritium slot option.

I had some hard time going back and forth between the tri-flare thickness and the tritium width and depth. When I tried 1/16" ball endmill the tritium would fit snugly in the light but I'm afraid when coating is applied it would be too tight. Then the installer would have a chance of jamming his trits into the slot and easily breaking the glass tube.

So ... I finally decided on 0.085" flare thickness and tritium slot of 5/64" with 0.067" deep. The slot is made using ball endmill, IMHO, will give it a better estetic look when no tritium is installed (vs regular square endmill). The ball endmill slot will also help align the tritium to the center which makes installation alot easier. Those who have meet me knows that I have shaky hands that rivals that of the San Andreas fault (earthquake). So trying to adjust a small tritium tube that have 0.008" from side to side for perfect centering is not my cup of tea.

Here's the results.
dsc05345xo1.jpg

BTW: No these are NOT the new Draco in 10180 bodies :nana:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys here are some anwers to the latest exotic Draco coating AlTiN.

Color?
The AlTiN is definitely darker than TiCN. It's closer to jch79's first pic. Where the second pic would better depic a TiCN. I would describe it as gunmetal gray, charcoal color.

Availability?
Initially I was planning of doing a ultra limited run of these because there have not been any flashlight history of this usage and I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket.
Unfortunately, the shop misunderstood my order of 10x units and made the entire batch (couple dozens) AlTiN. The good side is since it's a larger order, it drop the coating price per unit down to almost the same level as TiCN/TiN. So I'll offer it at the same price as any other Ti-Draco.

dammitjim: secret sauce is still secret until I can work out the tart taste.
Roboholic: You know I'll always try to give ppls the options. I can install the Tritium (one color green from B@rt). Or I can leave it up to the user to select his own tritium to install.

Scottiver

Enlightened
Thanks for the update. So, are you now offering the installed trit as an option? and how much extra will it be?
Also, you said the entire batch was coated in AlTiN, does that mean that the TiCN weren't done? Just wondering.

Last edited:

Secur1

Enlightened
=== Draco 2nd Revision Enhancements ===
1. Tritium slots will replace the round GID hole on the battery tube.
2. Increase the number of rotation between the battery tube and LE.
3. Improved thermal path.
4. Maybe Seoul P4 compatible.
5. O-ring standardization. Same oring for all the junction to save part number & my whooping cost.
6. Secret sauce #9

Will there be an upgrade option for current owners ?
And if so, how much will it cost ?

Psychomodo

Enlightened
modamag said:
All the second small batch of Dracos are currently in production. Several minor enhancement have been made to further help with the functionality and reliability of the light.

=== Draco 2nd Revision Enhancements ===
4. Maybe Seoul P4 compatible...

Will the turbohead be Seoul P4 compatible and if so will you offer the mod?

This would make some throw monster :D

lightrod

Enlightened
Great updates/enhancements coming!

I am wondering about knurling the head to make it easier to grip/turn. Has that been considered?

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work on the trit slot! I was expecting that a slot would look out of place compared to the circle, but it looks like it turned out great!

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
=== Production Update ===
Polishing have started this week. Yes we're slightly behind schedule due to couple changes in the machining process but I hope this is for the better.

A large batch of converter were accidentally programmed with the wrong UI and were sent to our brother up north for reprogramming. ETA return trip ~ 2-3 weeks.

On a positive note. hundreds of reflectors and on an inbound flight from the wizzard in HI to CA as we speak. Several hundreds of premium emitters and saphire lens were recently secured and is residing in my messy garage, thanks to dat2zip

Scottiver: [/b]The tritium install option will probably be ~$10. This covers the cost of high density Tritium (~$6/7) and epoxy and UV cured installation. However, like anything thing else. I recommend that each member do their own for the "pride of ownership" for any project.

Secur1: I'm working on a reasonable upgrade option for existing owners. It will be announce prior to the shipment/ready date.

Psychomodo: Turbo is looking directly toward Korea at this time. And yes, I will offer mod options for the DYI modders or the complete dropin solution.

lightrod: Sorry but no. It's an acquired taste of mine. It will be too much knurling for my book.

Azuredevil

Newly Enlightened
So if I've put down a deposit for a TiCN is it possible that I will/can get a AlTiN instead? Because now that I've seen it I want it :)