Introducing: Groovy! -- Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred, the Groovy! you sent me is so sweet, I can't even begin to describe it. All I can say is that you and Andrewwynn were right with your comments. The things I love about it:

1. Superb form factor.
2. Grooves in tail are NOT too deep and don't affect the base "meat" of the light, which I had thought might be an issue. They're shallow, flat grooves and look fantastic!
3. Very bright beam.
4. Easy to use kroll.
5. Brilliant seamless construction. You don't realize how cool the design of the bezel screwing up inside the body is until you see it in person.

I've heard some comment in the past that the CNC-123 was the best-looking light on the market. These same people will be blown away by the Groovy!

Alright, now that I've given my mini-review, I'd like to ask a question. Seriously this time: will my user ID fit if I decide on the engraving after all? How will the engraving be made (circumferentially, or vertically)? I think this has been asked before but I forgot where it was and don't have time to read all the back pages. And, finally, can the engraving be done on bare AL lights as easily as it can be done on the plated lights?

Thanks! Troy

RchGrav

Newly Enlightened
Been toying with the change for a while, and I think it fits the theme of the word "Groovy!" better anyway.

Please change the engraving on my light #42 from "Deep Thought" to "Zaphod".

Thank You!!

Rich

Zaphod?... Oh, he's just this guy, ya know.

Bob_G

Enlightened
Okay, here we go ...

I'd like to

1. Abandon #121

2. Add #122 - NG500 - Skye Dancer

3. Engraved name for #52 = Molly

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Troy,

Glad you liked that polished AL Groovy!

The engraving will be circumferential on the bezel, all one one line. I will try to have the words exactly opposite each other if possible.

Your CPF name will fit with no problems, at 10 point type.

Here is what your engraving might look like:

GroovyEngravingSample.jpg

Since the circumference of the Groovy is about 3.1", you have room to spare.

Yes, the laser engraving can be done on the raw AL also.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="blue"> Groovy! Progress Update </font>

Unfortunately, there were some unexpected problems with the battery tube on the first batch from the shop. I managed to select about 25 that only needed minimal work to make them presentable.

Twenty were brought to the plater last week and I will pick them up tomorrow. The others were sent out for some unusual plating and quotation requests. In the meantime, I've worked on the grooved heads, getting them ready for the plater. Still to be worked on are the bezels, but those will be done later this week.

In the meantime, Dan has reworked the battery tubes and I should have plenty by tomorrow evening.

If things go right, everything, i.e., the bezel, head, and battery tube, should be ready to visit the plater in two to three weeks.

<font color="blue"> Since the bezels are to be laser engraved before the EN plating is applied, I will start the Buy Thread in the Dealer's Corner very soon. </font>

Final delivery is expected to occur in the first week of August, as I will have a two week vacation in July, which throws a wrench in the schedule, so to speak.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fred, I'm going to copy "Dad" and just have mine state Groovy #54 if that is possible.

karlthev /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="blue"> For those with a morbid sense of curiosity, a photo showing the difference in appearance between polished aluminum (at the top of the photo) and electroless nickel plated aluminum (the EN plated Groovy!): </font>
PlatedvsRawAL.jpg

Of course the durability differs considerably also. This is one of the test batch of Groovy!s that we had plated to check the clearances after plating for the O-ring seals. The good news is that seems fine. The bad news is that Mr. Murphy was in charge of the plating operation so there were some unexpected little bumps on the surface of each Groovy--apparently from lack of agitation during the plating process.

This may have been too small a job for the plater to keep a close eye on during the process and perhaps he had other more pressing needs to attend to.

Whatever the cause, it will be ferreted out and rectified before the bulk of the Groovy!s are plated in the next couple of weeks.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Picture of the Groovy! Where's the flashlight? All I see is your reflection with a camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RchGrav

Newly Enlightened
I know I will regret not getting another of these, so put me in for #40 also. Make it another TYAH w/ POP2G.

moeman

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
The latest photo clearly shows the hidden seam.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I can't see it either, unless greenlight was joking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

EDIT: Now that I looked closer I see the the tailcap seam at the bottom of the photo, is that one greenlight?

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
No I think it's the one at the top where the bezel meets the top groove /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Or is both the top & bottom ones? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the bezel seam is hidden in the top of the top groove.. it does show up well in this picture.. probably the last time you'll ever see it.. (it's virtually invisible in normal lighting at normal size)..

there is no tail cap, hence no tail cap seam.

the head/body seam is likewise hidden 'around the corner' of the lower groove.. however in that case it's even more hidden because the seam is in the bottom corner of the groove unlike the top seam where there is a visible seam (not in the crease).

however manoman did dan do an awesome job on the whole thing... show them to everybody.. he has 500 to sell and maybe 100-150 lined up for sale so far... word of mouth is what's going to make cncdan another famous CPF flashlight designer... fortunately the groovy does sorta sell itself.

shameless plug... check out my latest prototype: http://rouse.com/RT4 if you haven't seen it... i got #2 working last night (that's good news for Fred) :-D (he's getting proto #1)..

1500/4500/8000 lux.. it's incredible.

back from tangent:

it was funny to read the past few posts... once you know where to look it's obvious.. but it's also obvious from the posts how well that seam is hidden.. it really is a just fantastic design.. all around.. from the completely replaceable parts... from the driver (standard size) to the switch (standard kroll).. to the reflector (standard IMS).. I hope to see more people use the groovy as a basis for modding and see it around for a while to come.

-awr

Status
Not open for further replies.