iPhone X is here;)

Stoneking

Enlightened
5.8" OLED display playing both Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 whenever and wherever I want!! Man, I can't wait! I might watch 2049 an unhealthy amount of times!!
Now if only James Cameron would hurry up with The Abyss Blu-Ray...

ven

Flashaholic
Thats what sways me over the 8 StarHalo, however i am very happy being able to resist so far as pretty content(and use to) the 7+ so far....................i must resist! :laughing:

markr6

Flashaholic
The 6s size is pushing it for me. When they finally get away from that size as the "smallest" version, I'll need to start carrying a man purse.

ven

Flashaholic
The 6s size is pushing it for me. When they finally get away from that size as the "smallest" version, I'll need to start carrying a man purse.

The X is not that much bigger in form, just the whole of the phone front is the screen size..............So no reason for you not to get one:poke:

The 8+ is pointless for me, not enough benefits for me over my 7+ so if i do plunge, it will be the X

markr6

Flashaholic
The X is not that much bigger in form, just the whole of the phone front is the screen size..............So no reason for you not to get one:poke:

The 8+ is pointless for me, not enough benefits for me over my 7+ so if i do plunge, it will be the X

I'll have to see what's going on next October. That's when my 2-year contract resets and I get a deal (usually $99-$199 for the current iPhone)

ven

Flashaholic
I'll have to see what's going on next October. That's when my 2-year contract resets and I get a deal (usually $99-$199 for the current iPhone)

My contract is with o2, last couple of years they introduced a contract thats split in 2. Basically, 1 is phone, 2 is the air time. Can upgrade anytime, just pay the phone off. So for example , phone is £20 and talk time is £20=£40pm. After 12m of a 2yr contract with 12m left, 12x£40=£480 would be the normal contract amount to pay. Now its 12x£20 =£240 . So a big difference, considering you can get more than that for the phone anyway! But what gets me is the cost goes up each time. My bills are around £50 combined, the 8 comes in at around £60 and no doubt the X will be £70 or £80pm. Just too much imo........I have noticed a 3yr contract now some are doing(not sure how long this has been an option). But 36m does seem a lifetime to have a phone these days..............heck 6m is!!!!

Just had a look now on o2 and from £29.99 up front and £77pm................:faint: So not far off guessing ..............not sure i want/need it that much tbh. Thats a zebralight a month!!!!

Then Madison(11) is telling me "daddy my contract is up soon" so another one to sort out next year.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
:( Yep! The 6S battery is totally subpar. :thumbsdow

And the 6 is old enough that you may be experiencing some age; go to Settings-Battery, see if you get this message:

adZuyHF.jpg

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the 6 is old enough that you may be experiencing some age; go to Settings-Battery, see if you get this message:

adZuyHF.jpg

My Dad's iPhone 6 has had a external battery for most of its life. Two weeks ago he started experiencing some issues. Usually they're old man issues, but this time when I looked at the phone, I noticed that the screen was raised up in the middle.

The prismatic cell was swollen to 4 times the original battery thickness.

Off the the ifixit website for a battery kit consisting of the battery, adhesive strips and required tools. Delivery from west coast to east coast was about a week due to the new transportation restrictions on lithium ion batteries. 20 minutes later, a new battery was installed and phone being run down to calibrate the power meter.

Much cheaper than a new phone. His phone never threw the replace battery message.

Krumbbs1976

Newly Enlightened
Forget face id man.. if it recognizes your face as fast as they say in all the videos then its going to be very easy for someone to pick up your phone at a bar while you're talking to someone else.. say hey.. you turn around and boom its open! They walk away into the crowd ordering stuff that you have on Amazon purchase with one click ( change address and same-day delivery) and three blocks later they throw your phone into some bushes. If you're pretty intoxicated you're probably not going to think about reporting your phone till the next morning let alone Amazon.

I've only had the 6 for a few months. It's a T-Mobile refurb, so the battery should be new. I checked. No notice. Thank you for the heads-up though.

As you stated, more screen -more better. I just don't feel comfortable sitting on it when it's in my rear jeans pocket. The 5 was unnoticeable there. The big difference for me is one hand operation. Just not as easy with the larger 6.

~ Cg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
As you stated, more screen -more better. I just don't feel comfortable sitting on it when it's in my rear jeans pocket. The 5 was unnoticeable there. The big difference for me is one hand operation. Just not as easy with the larger 6.

I don't buy pants that don't have the cell pocket anymore; if a pants manufacturer in 2017 doesn't know about cell phones yet, they don't deserve the business. Lots of excellent dri-fit golf slacks/shorts options that look better and are more comfortable than jeans anyway..

Forget face id man.. if it recognizes your face as fast as they say in all the videos then its going to be very easy for someone to pick up your phone at a bar while you're talking to someone else.. say hey.. you turn around and boom its open! They walk away into the crowd ordering stuff that you have on Amazon purchase with one click ( change address and same-day delivery) and three blocks later they throw your phone into some bushes. If you're pretty intoxicated you're probably not going to think about reporting your phone till the next morning let alone Amazon.

This sounds pretty intoxicated..

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the newer/upcoming Iphones still have batteries that are easily user-replaceable? I use an "old" Iphone 4S that was used by multiple people before me. My wife actually used it then we thought it died so we got her a 2016 Moto G4 (great cheap-ish Android phone). I found iFixit online and through them got a 4S battery replacement kit. Now works amazingly. Over the years though I've heard Apple has made it harder and harder for people to actually service their own products. Can users easily replace batteries in the newer Iphones? I should say it wasn't "easy" to replace the 4S battery. I did have to use tools and getting the battery which is glued into the inside of the case was kinda nerve wracking. I don't think a complete klutz or newb afraid of electronics should attempt it.

I don't like the Apple desktop environment (OSX I guess) but have to admit I do like the Iphones and Ipads. My wife uses one of the 12 inch Ipad pros for her work and it's amazing. I love putting photography work on that screen. It's like having almost-4K sharp back-lit photos in the palm of your hand.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apple has never designed and produced a phone that allows for the user to replace the battery.

Since you already know of ifixit, if you purchase a battery kit from them, they supply all the tools required to replace the battery.

The videos give you a good idea as how to replace the battery, but don't expect the adhesive strips to give up without a fight.

After installing a couple batteries in iPhone 5's, I mask at least half the length of the adhesive strip with scotch tape so that subsequent replacements are easier.

I looked at the iPad battery replacement videos, and I won't attempt replacement due to screen breakage.

markr6

Flashaholic
Apple has never designed and produced a phone that allows for the user to replace the battery.

That's one thing I hate. I use an external battery pack to charge which works, but a separate battery would be great. I was a bit envious on a backpacking trip when my friend pulled out some cheap spare batteries for his Samsung phone. Pop a new one in and get on with it. Back up to 100% in 10 seconds.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's one thing I hate. I use an external battery pack to charge which works, but a separate battery would be great. I was a bit envious on a backpacking trip when my friend pulled out some cheap spare batteries for his Samsung phone. Pop a new one in and get on with it. Back up to 100% in 10 seconds.

Mark, the problem with most smart phones is that they require much more power than can be reliably passed through a friction battery connection. The battery contacts are the weak link and get worked pretty hard, plus there are people that complain of how thick a phone has gotten, and the water resistance.

I also use a booster pack on my iPhone. When I'm going to be away from mains or USB power for longer than 10 hours of so, I carry a Milwaukee Tools battery pack and the USB power adapter sold for the heated jackets. With that in place, I've got a 4 amp hour, 10 cell 18650 battery which to run and charge my phone from.

markr6

Flashaholic
Mark, the problem with most smart phones is that they require much more power than can be reliably passed through a friction battery connection. The battery contacts are the weak link and get worked pretty hard

Never would have thought of that! I'm OK with the external packs, especially since they're so cheap now. Even the good brands. And only 4 extra ounces while backpacking doesn't hurt at all.