Is it possible to use glasses to see the light from 940nm infrared flashlight?

Antipasta

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am looking for an inexpensive flashlight + glasses combo which would allow me to walk around in the dark. I found a nice flashlight I like but now I need to find a way to actually see with it :)

I would use this to observe night life without disturbing animals. Since I don't need to take photos, I don't want to have to buy an expensive camera (+ I need one hand for the flashlight).

angerdan

Enlightened
You can buy any cheap night vision device so see the infrared light.
You will find more information about this topic if you read about infrared.

Antipasta

Newly Enlightened
The cheapest I found was hundreds of USD. I would like to spend much less since I don't have the budget and don't need much in the way of performance.

Range of 10 meters/yards would be plenty (I don't want to hunt, just observe my own back yard so to speak) so I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I assumed it should be possible to find some kind of much cheaper glasses that would refract IR light into visible spectrum that I can see with. Does something like this exist?

Antipasta

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this is not what I want - basically glasses/goggles that I can put on my head and have one free hand, the other being used to hold the UV flashlight while I walk around and look at stuff. The free hand is useful since I imagine I might stumble or need to feel around or something.

I find it hard to believe that it is impossible to make this cheaply and sell to general public - after all as you say a cheap camera has the ability to see IR. Why is it so hard to make a cheap product that would be useful?

I can find adds for an old product EyeClops Goggles, used to be sold in 2009 in the price range I am looking for (it had light source included with the product). How come 6 years later it is impossible to find something like this? There is a new version that is way too expensive for my needs, presumably they didn't sell enough of the old version so jacked up the price (which I find strange).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A used Sony camcorder with "NightShot" from EBay/pawn shop, ~$60. All-in-one infrared lighting and sighting via flip out display or eyepiece, newer models can even record still images to a memory card.

SemiMan

Banned
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this is not what I want - basically glasses/goggles that I can put on my head and have one free hand, the other being used to hold the UV flashlight while I walk around and look at stuff. The free hand is useful since I imagine I might stumble or need to feel around or something.

I find it hard to believe that it is impossible to make this cheaply and sell to general public - after all as you say a cheap camera has the ability to see IR. Why is it so hard to make a cheap product that would be useful?

I can find adds for an old product EyeClops Goggles, used to be sold in 2009 in the price range I am looking for (it had light source included with the product). How come 6 years later it is impossible to find something like this? There is a new version that is way too expensive for my needs, presumably they didn't sell enough of the old version so jacked up the price (which I find strange).

You can pick up EyeClops for next to nothing on EBAY, so why not just buy that?

Why can't you buy something like this 6 years later ..... no market. They were a cool tool, but "seeing" in the dark isn't that cool. Really it's about surreptitiously seeing in the dark. Anyone with a flashlight can see in the dark after all.

No need to hold your flashlight in your hand .... since you can't see without the vision accessory anyway. Just strap it to whatever you are viewing with.

I would also like a flying car .... weren't we supposed to have those by now too?

Antipasta

Newly Enlightened
No need to imply I am a drooling moron while acting like an idiot (technology that never existed is not the same as one that does).

I dislike buying second hand stuff from Ebay.

SemiMan

Banned
You can buy it new and used from amazon.

The new ones are collectors items and quite expensive, on the order of a GEN-1 image intensifier if not higher. They were toy of the year though in some markets, so not surprising. I can't imagine too many stayed in their boxes.

Given the used ones on EBAY are quite cheap, <$50, its a pretty low risk. The Sony night shot is good, but if you buy used and the battery is near the end of your life, you can be into an expensive battery replacement. Good to check the model for cheap battery replacements first.

Antipasta

Newly Enlightened
Yeah it is obvious that what I originally wanted (a really low end but still useful setup) is not available at affordable prices.

Not sure I will go for the used stuff since I don't trust it. Guess I will just give up on the idea altogether or wait until I can afford it.

davesc

Newly Enlightened
I know it is a bit off subject...Why not use a red filter over a conventional white light flashlight. I have a couple Fenix LD41's with red and green filters I use out in the woods. The red is good for observing critters and not scaring them. It does not mess up your night vision, either. The green goes further, but critters are more jumpy with the green. I hog hunt at night.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The red is good for observing critters and not scaring them. It does not mess up your night vision, either.

Pigs can see red light, and in order for red light to not affect your night vision it has to be so dim that it looks brown. One positive note is that insects definitely cannot see red light, so it doesn't draw bugs. Remember to hold the light up next to your eyes so you can see the "high beam" reflection in animals'/insects' eyes.

SemiMan

Banned
Pigs can see red light, and in order for red light to not affect your night vision it has to be so dim that it looks brown. One positive note is that insects definitely cannot see red light, so it doesn't draw bugs. Remember to hold the light up next to your eyes so you can see the "high beam" reflection in animals'/insects' eyes.

Not just dim, it is more a matter of wavelength. Unless the wavelength is >650nm, there is not that much benefit to red light, at least for your night vision. You would be as well served by very dim white light.

Semiman