Is it true in Singapore that........

Empath

Flashaholic
This thread is walking a fine line between disrespect and honorable discussion. The differences in social culture, penal code and such between different sovereignties can be interesting and beneficial. I'd suggest that you don't place such a valuable opportunity in jeopardy.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason, its always MY curiosity that makes Empath's job as a moddy a lot harder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .... Sorry, I was trying to just find out if it was true or not because the person who told me is a kind of liar, the type you cant really trust so I had to confirm.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding this issue with Chewing gum in Singapore, I know that it's illegal to SELL it in Singapore, but as far as I know, there are no laws that actually forbid you from actually chewing it or importing it for personal consumption.

When I was working in Singapore a long time back, I used to bring a big box of Wriggleys Chewing Gum back to Singapore every time I went abroad to distribute to my poor chewing gum starved friends and collegues. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
huh??

The most telling point (that I'd not considered) made so far is that Singapore is a free country. Anyone can leave if they want to. If the want to live there they can accept the laws or try to get them changed.

This is the difference between an oppressive government and one that simply has strict laws and enforcement.

California has many, many laws I don't agree with. Some I do agree with. I can move any time I like.

Oppressive regimes don't allow you to leave. I'm pretty sure Communist Russia was like that.

Daniel

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Singapre is indeed a 'FINE' country... as us friendly neighbours like to say about them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The laws may be strict, but it does benefit everyone else at the end of the day... And yes you have to visit S'pore and M'sia to see the difference in cleanliness and the effectiveness of the laws...

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
For some reason, its always MY curiosity that makes Empath's job as a moddy a lot harder

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif Shhhh.. I trying to keep a low profile here. It's a good thread, Mags.

evanlocc

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:
If I recall correctly, you can't walk and eat at the same time either...

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! some of the underground path, walkway, corridor & many other area are pasted with [FOOD/DRINK NOT ALLOW] sign.

And YES! Just cross the SIN-JB bridge and you know what Stan said.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Vortex said:
I heard that they also regulate the total number of driver's liscences issued. If you are new driver, you go on some sort of waiting list untill someone turns in or loses their permit. I wonder how the traffic situation is over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "quota" is probably conjecture. I've heard this one go around many a coffee table and beer mug many times in different variations (with different 'explanations' for the quota). In a way it may be comforting to those who didn't pass due to the strict testing standards. Yes, I failed twice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif High standards are good though, because sometimes it may not be you that gets into a wreck - it may be the OTHER guy who can't drive who hits you.

The traffic situation is dealt with in a different matter, they hit you in the wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif most of the week, the heart of the city is designated a toll area and the electronic payment system is VERY efficient /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The toll is going to be back on Saturdays, too. (it's official!)

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
The toll is going to be back on Saturdays, too. (it's official!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin,

Are you in Singapore?

Cheers.

dandruff

Enlightened
he probably is, judging by his knowledge of recent developments.

yeah michael fay was caned for severely vandalising several cars. it became a big political thing.

dont get the wrong impression, he wasnt stripped naked and 'flogged' in a public square or anything like that. he was young and fit, and was in reasonable medical and physical state to be delivered such a punishment.

whether it is wrong or right leave it up to u.

not walking and eating? ive never heard of that before. yes, there are certain public areas where eating/drinking is not allowed, libraries etc. i believe this is not unique to singapore. not allowed to eat and walk at the same time? thats ridiculous.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally, the "don't walk and eat" thing is limited to high traffic areas where the food or drink may be spilled on others or machinery.

At least I have found that to be the case in many parts of the world I have visited.

I don't believe it is unique to Singapore.

Bill

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
IMHO he SHOULD have been caned. He was a punk kid from an Aerican family. He was acustomed (sp) to doing what he pleased wether it damaged other's property or not. If it's not allowable in an other country, he should face the punishment. Common sense would dictate it's not OK to vandalize somebody else's property. If his parents had taken the time to teach him the dfference between right and wrong, he would never have gotten into trouble in the first place. Also they protested the punishment mightily. That's where the political implications came in. It shold not have been politicized at all.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I'm a bit old fashioned and agree with many of Singapore's laws and wish we had them here, when my roommate was there, he said the "sin" habits were very expensive. For an instance alcohol and cigarette smoking is not completely illegal but it is so expensive to buy such goods, they might as well be. He said you could leave a laptop in a car and it wouldn't get stolen.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there are serveral reports of people smashing windscreens to get the cashcard in the cars. But it's a gang or something. doesn't happen everyday. There are of cos, gangs go smash windscreens to get at the laptop which ppl just place carelessly on the rear seat. Not a everyday issue though. Those people who leave their laptops in the rear seats without concealment are too careless IMHO. Get a jacket or something, or soft toys to cover it.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
For some reason, its always MY curiosity that makes Empath's job as a moddy a lot harder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .... Sorry, I was trying to just find out if it was true or not because the person who told me is a kind of liar, the type you cant really trust so I had to confirm.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif Don't ever be afraid to ask a question, Mags. The ability of all of us to "meet" here despite our geographical location is one feature of the internet that never gets old to me.

I'm over twice your age and I'm learning right along with you. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
Is it true in Singapore that........
oral sex is outlawed? (I remember reading about it somewhere).

dandruff

Enlightened
yeah this is true. personally i am somewhat against this too.

it used more as a tool to nab real sexual offenders. like when guys do it with underaged girls, it prevents the defense from claiming 'i did not have INTERCOURSE with her!' this prevents them getting away on technicalites (sp?)

but in all practical terms nobody is going to stop you having oral sex with your wife/girlfriend.

CiTY

Enlightened
I've visited Singapore many times, but haven't heard the law on Oral Sex... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would have been jailed many life
times over...
I would always stay in the CBD (central business district) or what ever they call it now, that's where they have to pay the tolls during business hours to drive through.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tolls? Sounds like the New Jersey Turnpike, or any turnpike in that matter.

I do wish those laws applied in the US (except the eating-while-walking law) We always have to be cautious about where we leave things, or in a more real case, leaving something anywhere at all. No offense to us americans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif, but I think its too late to change the habits of protection, caution, destruction of one's own or other's property... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Singapore, Keep it up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Latest posts