Is my Plia GL4 sick? (Pix)

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
From day-one my GL4 has put out a sickly "yellow" beam, even on freshly charged cells. I have used the supplied Pila 600P cells and tried some stock 18650's. The beam looks like a light with nearly dead cells.

Is this normal, or have I been looking at my hotwire (overdriven) "white" beams too long?

Thanks for any information,
Bill

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is my Plia GL4 sick?

I imagine it's because you're severely underdriving a 12v lamp. Isn't that what the GL4 comes with?
Check out the 9v lamp assemblies. I don't know what's available from Pila, but the new D36 Lumens Factory LAs are supposed to fit the GL4, so I assume the 9v D36 from Wolf Eyes would too.
http://www.lumensfactory.com/products.php
You can click on the specs link for a compatability chart.

edit: I have a couple of the EO-9L LAs on the way for use in a WE M90 with 2x18650 on the way, but can't comment on them yet, since neither the light or the lamp assemblies have gotten here yet :mecry:

Last edited:

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened

Ditto -- I have the LF lamps on order for the same application. 2 X 18650 gives 7.4 volts and the lamps in the GL4 are designed for 12 volts; hence the yellow color.

Once you've had a good LED light, the quality (if not quantity) spoils you. Barely use my Streamlight Polystinger any more.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened

Owen said:
I imagine it's because you're severely underdriving a 12v lamp. Isn't that what the GL4 comes with?

You're absolutely right! ....and I call myself a Flashaholic!? I should have noticed that right off.

I have been looking at those Lumensfactory assemblies and am hoping for good reports from you all. Meanwhile, I'll run it on 4 x 123's.

Thanks for the help,
Bill

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am looking forward to ordering some lumans factory LA's for my gl4 after the holidays myself. In the meantime, I am getting decent runtime from 4 sf 123a's with my 550 bulb. I just do not use it over a minute at a time.

The only thing that sucks is that my sf gpz with the p61 lamp, seems soo dim now when it never used to.

I think the gl4 is a great defense light. Its kind of bright...but the thing feels more like a small club than anything I have ever carried.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened

I put fresh Titanium 123's in my GL4 with the 550 LA. To be honest, I'm not really that impressed. It still looks somewhat yellow to me and not that bright. I did check the fresh cells with my ZTS and they're 100%. The LO lamp assembly looks pitiful. Not worth carrying a torch that heavy for such little output. I did order two of the Lumensfactory LA's last night and will report back when I receive them.

So far, this is not the "retina searing, blinding, unholy wall of white light" I was hoping for. It may well be that I have been looking at my hotwires too long and that my expectations for the GL4 are too high. Or, maybe there is something wrong with it.

Has anyone compared the GL4 to the Wolf Eyes 13 Volt lights? It would be interesting to hear some impressions of the differences.

Bill

greenLED

Flashaholic

That's interesting, cd. What other lights are you comparing the GL4 against? I know my GL4 doesn't look all that hot when shone against a Mag134 or a Mag85 even. Shine it against a GL3 and it's many times brighter.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened

greenLED said:
That's interesting, cd. What other lights are you comparing the GL4 against? I know my GL4 doesn't look all that hot when shone against a Mag134 or a Mag85 even. Shine it against a GL3 and it's many times brighter.

Hi Miguel,

Here's a pix I just took in my semi-darkened garage. The GL4 is on top using 4 x new 123's. It has the 300 Lumen LA in it. Bottom is the distinctive beam of the M*g 6D (the only other non-hotwire I have).

To my eye, the GL4 is no stunner by any standard. Is yours brighter than this?
I'm beginning to think the light is not working correctly. Thanks for reply,
Bill

gl4_lo.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'll have to compare my GL4 against my stock 4D Mag. I don't have anything larger/brighter on the Mag side of things, nor I have any hotwires. IIRC, my GL3 (with old-style LA) is brighter than the 4D Mag, but I'll need to refresh my memory on that one.

I don't know what lamp I have in the GL4. That light was a gift from Topper, and I haven't had to change the LA from when he gave it to me. :)thanks: Topper!)

I'll remember to do this over the weekend for you.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pix. I see your point in not ordering a 300luman bulb. Too little light for this big of a light. I am also looking forward to ordering a couple of bulbs from lumans factory. I am happy with my 550 bulb, Its color temp is at least as high as my p61 bulb, but If I can find whiter I will be happy. Please post some comparrison pics when your lumans factory bulbs get here.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Hi woodrow,

At this point, I'm basically trying to determine if my GL4 is working correctly.

I just did a quick test against a Fenix P1 and the P1 is brighter than the GL4 with 300 Lumen LA and fresh cells. Of course, the P1 will have a whiter beam, but I'm just comparing brightness.

I can't imagine what might go bad in a GL4, unless it's something in the LED tailcap assembly. I wish I had a plain tailcap to try.

Does anyone know if the standard GL4 tactical tailcap has any resistors or electronics in it? If not, I might just try a jumper from the body to the (-) end of the cells to see if I get a brigher beam.

I bought this GL4 many months ago and have never carried it - so it hasn't been dropped or anything.

Bill

Somy Nex

Enlightened
A Fenix P1 should *not* be brighter than a 300 lumen GL4.

here is my old GL4 (195 lumens) vs the U2 and P1.

Reference:

Old GL4 (195 lumen):

U2 (2xCR123):

Fenix P1 (RCR123):

Click on any pic for a larger version. Here is the link to the corridor gallery with more lights: http://www.pbase.com/somynex/corridor. Closeup beamshots here: http://www.pbase.com/somynex/060101.

I don't know, but if you think it might be the tailcap you can try bridging the connection with a paperclip.

Last edited:

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Thank you for the great comparisons, Somy Nex. That confirms it for me. My GL4 is not working correctly. I couldn't imagine why anyone would carry such a heavy light for so little output.

I will try "jumpering" without the tailcap and see if I get a proper light. If so, I will just buy a tactical (no LED) tailcap.

Thanks again for the effort in posting the beamshots. That really helped me out.

Bill

greenLED

Flashaholic
cd-card-biz said:
I just did a quick test against a Fenix P1 and the P1 is brighter than the GL4 with 300 Lumen LA and fresh cells.
Does anyone know if the standard GL4 tactical tailcap has any resistors or electronics in it?

cd, I'm with Somy - there's no way the P1 can be brighter than the GL4; there's definitely something wrong with your light.

The only electronics in the tailcap are the resistors connected to the LED, but that part of the circuit is bypassed as the LA comes on and shouldn't be causing the problem (shouldn't being the key word here; something could be wrong with the tailcap). I'm guessing you have a lemon LA.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
cd-card-biz,

Sorry, I was in a hurry with my post. I have never had any mag light bigger than a 2c, and thought a 6 cell might be pretty bright. I did not notice the part about the p1.