• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Is the Aleph upgradable with new emitters??

SubtleIrony

Newly Enlightened
Is the Aleph upgradable when the new luxeons come out later this year? or when the next generation of LEDs come out a year or two?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard that the radiation pattern will be any different, so the existing reflectors should work fine.

So you will be able to either get a new light engine with the new LED, or replace the existing LED on an existing light engine (some skill required) and enjoy the increased lumens.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The answer will depend on the geometry of the new LED's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Provided the new LED's will lend themselves to reflectored collumation, it is likely that new Light engines can be designed to mate with the existing reflectors and head and battery tubes.

I am concerned that some of these new LED's will have primary lenses based on flood as well as automotive needs and possibly require optics for redirecting the photon flow. Time will tell..........

knifebright

Enlightened
I am concerned that some of these new LED's will have primary lenses based on flood as well as automotive needs and possibly require optics for redirecting the photon flow. Time will tell........
Yes don it seems to me as well that the flood will be what happens. However I'm one of those rare people that will humbly admit.. i"m into flood. Not that i don't have a few aleph 1's and 3's but in my usage flood is what i need. There is nothing like a nice even flood of bright light with a great spill.
jimmy

*Retired*
The new luxeons I've seen will have no issues as compared to current luxeons as far as reflectors and lenses.

It's hard to wait a few months for the new parts, should be exciting.

SubtleIrony

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in the Aleph because I've read that it has excellent throw... with the 38mm reflector. There are several LED lights out with good flood... but very few with good throw. Some of the beamshots look really promising.

Darell

Flashaholic
You may be surprised at the excellent throw of the A-1 head as well (medium-sized reflector). I'm curious as to which LED lights are out there that are considered to have "good flood." There really aren't that many in my experience. At least not high-end ones. There are plenty of cheapie reflectorless lights out there that do a reasonable job of flooding... but not very bright! The A-1 and A-3 heads have astonishing throw at reasonable drive levels.

bippidie

Newly Enlightened
Re: Is the Aleph upgradable with the new Nichia?

Would the Aleph be compatible with the new Nichia led that LRI/Photon used in their Proton prototype? I ask because it sounds like this led is extremely efficient and could yield incredible burn time (assuming the rumors are true). Has anyone got a hold of this Nichia led?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Is the Aleph upgradable with the new Nichia?

bippidie,

There is no reason the Aleph can't be compatible with the new Nichia since the Aleph is an open platform. However, there may be significant modifications required to the reflector or ES-screw for proper function so I don't know what the answer to your question will be at this time. I have yet to receive any samples from Nichia so I am in the dark.

I have messed with the new Cree 7090 package and found that as Newbie mentioned in another thread that the relatively deeper reflectors (in the case of Aleph, the 20 mm and 38 mm) do a better job in capturing more of the emitted light for columation. I believe a better solution would be design specific reflectors for the 7090 and I have some prototypes now on order. I am anxious to see if I have a clue as to what's what! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I am exposing myself to possible embarassment on even mentioning a new reflector. Perhaps it will be lost in the mail and never seen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like Knifebright, my most common needs are for a flood beam. However, I need a tighter spread than a lambertian or even 100 degree viewing angle so some bending of light is required. Currently I have a SF Beam shaper over a 20 mm reflector and it provides an ideal flood for my needs. I also have the useful option of popping off the beam shaper when I need illumination at some distance. At night or in good dark, this is all I really need. On Maui, I stopped carrying my 38 mm A-3-1x123 and figured upon my return home that I wouldn't need to carry a tighter and brighter light in addition to the 20 mm. I quicklly found that in the shop and around the house that I needed a brighter and intense spot for times during the day as well as night when I needed to overcome levels of ambient as well as penetrate dark shaddows. We used fixed lighting during the day as well as night and I guess it is no surprise that portable lighting is also handy regardless of the sun's location; needed ilumination levels will vary accordingly.

Oops, OT drift and ramble there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif