Is the Thrunite Catapult V2 that bright ?

Enlightened
I don't think I saw anything in your post about what you want to do with the light. Do you want to have a search light with just pure throw? Something to show off to friends? Something well rounded for multiple tasks?
What do you want to do with the light?

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
I don't think I saw anything in your post about what you want to do with the light. Do you want to have a search light with just pure throw? Something to show off to friends? Something well rounded for multiple tasks?
What do you want to do with the light?

Now that you mention it, indeed I haven't made that clear. I'm an extremist and I also like to show off to friends (despite being 38). I'm going to use that light on outings in the woods on the weekends, but despite this, I really want something to impress me as much as it's going to make an impression on my friends.

So far, I've found the Catapult V2 to be to my liking, but what I do not understand is that it only seems to pull 600 OTF. Worded differently, it seems to outperform others giving out more OTF lumens--perhaps it's related to the reflector.

What would you suggest ?

HIDblue

Enlightened
Here's my recent post on the V2. The thread is filled with bitching and moaning from me but there's also some good info in there. Because of my thread, ThruNite decided to do a pass around of the light for more member feedback. :naughty::devil: I guess I did do some good..
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277187

Thanks 021411...I'm one of the folks who signed up for that V2 pass-around. I was so close to pulling the trigger on the V2 until I saw your thread. So now, I'd prefer to try it out in person since Thrunite has presented the opportunity before plunking down $160 for it. :thumbsup:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that you mention it, indeed I haven't made that clear. I'm an extremist and I also like to show off to friends (despite being 38). I'm going to use that light on outings in the woods on the weekends, but despite this, I really want something to impress me as much as it's going to make an impression on my friends.

So far, I've found the Catapult V2 to be to my liking, but what I do not understand is that it only seems to pull 600 OTF. Worded differently, it seems to outperform others giving out more OTF lumens--perhaps it's related to the reflector.

What would you suggest ?

Hows about signing up for the Catapult passaround and taking a look at the light for yourself? The pass around is still open in the Thrunite forum at the Marketplace

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Hows about signing up for the Catapult passaround and taking a look at the light for yourself? The pass around is still open in the Thrunite forum at the Marketplace

I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure I'd be eligible. What's more, I may shell out for the RRT-3. I appreciate the offer, but I'm not a flashlight freak and the purpose of my postings is for me to find out the best all-round high output LED flashlight. I'm also looking for reliability.

Enlightened
One thing you will have to consider is will you be able to obtain after purchase product support in the event that the light does fail on you. That is something to consider with any purchase with no headquarters in North America.
I have thought about that myself. What happens if my V2 decided to call it quits? Do I send it overseas? Is there someone state side that can fix the light under warranty?

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
One thing you will have to consider is will you be able to obtain after purchase product support in the event that the light does fail on you. That is something to consider with any purchase with no headquarters in North America.
I have thought about that myself. What happens if my V2 decided to call it quits? Do I send it overseas? Is there someone state side that can fix the light under warranty?

I strongly agree with you ! Very good point.

Is JETBeam U.S. based ? I'm more and more leaning towards this munufacturer, but then, if it turns out I'd have to send it overseas should it decided to call it quit, then I'll give it second thoughts.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VARA2000 I have is durable as can be, but I wouldn't dunk it in water. That said 1500~1800 OTF plus 30k 1 meter lux is a big plus:thumbsup:

The Catapult V2 does 40k lux at 1 meter with 550~600 OTF.

IMHO they both throw alot of light and you can see the VARA2000 being sold here by Lambda.

http://flashlightnews.net/forum/index.php?topic=2563.165

I myself enjoy camping and night time walks while in the woods or after a big dinner :whistle: Thus; I need and want the brightest with the most throw. If I have to compromise I go with the brightest.

Currently; I am waiting for another 2 lambdalights. One in SST-50 to test it with the dome and without the glass dome. It is said to increase lux dramatically when you remove the lens...we will have to see.

The other light is a VARA2000 with the new and improved copper heatsink, but using the same Rebel deep smo reflector.

bigC

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
The VARA2000 I have is durable as can be, but I wouldn't dunk it in water. That said 1500~1800 OTF plus 30k 1 meter lux is a big plus:thumbsup:

The Catapult V2 does 40k lux at 1 meter with 550~600 OTF.

IMHO they both throw alot of light and you can see the VARA2000 being sold here by Lambda.

http://flashlightnews.net/forum/index.php?topic=2563.165

I myself enjoy camping and night time walks while in the woods or after a big dinner :whistle: Thus; I need and want the brightest with the most throw. If I have to compromise I go with the brightest.

Currently; I am waiting for another 2 lambdalights. One in SST-50 to test it with the dome and without the glass dome. It is said to increase lux dramatically when you remove the lens...we will have to see.

The other light is a VARA2000 with the new and improved copper heatsink, but using the same Rebel deep smo reflector.

bigC

Chances are I'm buying a Vara2000--It can't tbe beat for the price !!

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam is not US based. They have no warranty facility in the US. You have to send your Jetbeam back to China. If you have a good dealer, you can send them your Jetbeam and they will send it to china. Either way, it goes to China for warranty work and seems to take 2 months for a fix.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam is not US based. They have no warranty facility in the US. You have to send your Jetbeam back to China. If you have a good dealer, you can send them your Jetbeam and they will send it to china. Either way, it goes to China for warranty work and seems to take 2 months for a fix.

Even more reason for me to get a Vara2000.